IE8, then black menues and toolbars!

Albédo

IE8, then black menues and toolbars!
Greeting from France.
Just after I installed IE8 as suggested by Windows Update, I found that both the
menus and the toolbars had turned to black, with icons remaining visible here
and there.
I managed to uninstall and get back to IE7, and the problem disappeared.
Now, I can't seem to find a single thing on the internet about my peculiar
problem (yet?); would anyone have a clue, please? I'm not that eager to use IE8,
but I read it's a bit faster, and I can use that.
Thanks in advance.
--
a.
Configugation: XP SP3 - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Kai Schaetzl

Re: IE8, then black menues and toolbars!
Albédo schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:28:15 +0200:

> Just after I installed IE8 as suggested by Windows Update, I found that both the
> menus and the toolbars had turned to black, with icons remaining visible here
> and there.

AFAIR, this can be fixed by resetting your Windows Theme or switching off any
third-party theming software you may have installed.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Re: IE8, then black menues and toolbars!
Uninstall Window Blinds or other third-party Windows theme(s).

Albédo wrote:
> Greeting from France.
> Just after I installed IE8 as suggested by Windows Update, I found that
> both the menus and the toolbars had turned to black, with icons remaining
> visible here and there.
> I managed to uninstall and get back to IE7, and the problem disappeared.
> Now, I can't seem to find a single thing on the internet about my peculiar
> problem (yet?); would anyone have a clue, please? I'm not that eager to
> use
> IE8, but I read it's a bit faster, and I can use that.
> Thanks in advance.

Albédo

Re: IE8, then black menues and toolbars!
"Kai Schaetzl" :
: AFAIR,

Do you mean some users have been having the problem even before IE8 came out, or
is it since?

: this can be fixed by resetting your Windows Theme

What do you mean by "reset", please: chose either "Windows XP" or "Windows
classic", at any rate excluding any *personal* settings?

: or switching off any third-party theming software
: you may have installed.

I have none (I gave up thowe tweaking things under Win 3.11!).
Thanks for answering, thanks in advance if you care to explain a bit further.
--
a.

Albédo

Re: IE8, then black menues and toolbars!
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" :
: Uninstall Window Blinds

I'm afraid I don't get what Windows Blinds is.

: or other third-party Windows theme(s).

I have none of those.

Thanks in advance for explaining further on "Window Blinds", please.
--
a.

Albédo

Re: IE8, then black menues and toolbars!
By the way, here's what it looks like...
--
a.

Albédo

http://cjoint.com/?fcxx1n3PAd
--
a.

Albédo

Re: IE8, then black menues and toolbars!
So URL links are not allowed here?
How about :
http: slash slash cjoint.com slash ?fcxx1n3PAd

Albédo

Solved ? (Re: IE8, then black menues and toolbars!)
I did change the themes to "Windows classique" and "Windows XP", and now it's
okay.
In fact I tried one, then saw that there has been some improvement, but the
menus bar was still black, so I went the other and it was fine; now I may chose
one or the other.
Now I'll try to alter those default settings and see how it impacts IE8. I'll
let you know. Thanks for the help so far!
--
a.

Albédo schrieb am Fri, 1 May 2009 10:03:46 +0200:

> Do you mean some users have been having the problem even before IE8 came out, or
> is it since?

It's known to happen for very few users with IE8 right after installation.

> What do you mean by "reset", please: chose either "Windows XP" or "Windows
> classic", at any rate excluding any *personal* settings?

I think you can just choose another one and then go back to your original settings.
If that doesn't help you have to use a slightly different one.

Ahm, could you please use standard, official quote markers (>)? ":" is not an
official quote marker. Thanks!

Kai