IE8 and uploading to ftp site

Dave Horne

IE8 and uploading to ftp site
I was just offered IE8 as a Windows Update. I had problems when I first
installed it, I assume that was the beta version. I also remember that I
could upload files to my ftp site (for my website) in IE8.

Under IE7 it is quite a feat to upload to my ftp site and I was wondering if
there are plans to add\improve the ftp upload feature that does not, AFAIK,
exist in IE8.

FWIW, in IE7 I had to ...

1. first click to my ftp site address
2. I then receive an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message
3. I click on Page (on IE7 toolbar)\ Open ftp site in Windows Explorer
4. A Windows Security message window pops up and I must click Allow
5. a new window opens and I receive a FTP Folder Error - Windows cannot
access this folder ... etc.
5. I click OK to that message and __then__ I see my ftp site and then I have
to jump through even more hoops to log in.

I am sure there are many folks who are unaware that is is possible, though
not intuitive, to upload to your ftp site.

Please tell me that IE8 has plans to improve\add the upload feature. Thanks
Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: IE8 and uploading to ftp site
Sorry - in my previous message I miswrote an important piece of information.

I could not access my ftp site under IE8 (beta?) but can, though with some
hoop jumping, access and upload files to my ftp site uysing IE7.

Sorry for this additional post. DH

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>I was just offered IE8 as a Windows Update. I had problems when I first
>installed it, I assume that was the beta version. I also remember that I
>could upload files to my ftp site (for my website) in IE8.
>
> Under IE7 it is quite a feat to upload to my ftp site and I was wondering
> if there are plans to add\improve the ftp upload feature that does not,
> AFAIK, exist in IE8.
>
> FWIW, in IE7 I had to ...
>
> 1. first click to my ftp site address
> 2. I then receive an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
> message
> 3. I click on Page (on IE7 toolbar)\ Open ftp site in Windows Explorer
> 4. A Windows Security message window pops up and I must click Allow
> 5. a new window opens and I receive a FTP Folder Error - Windows cannot
> access this folder ... etc.
> 5. I click OK to that message and __then__ I see my ftp site and then I
> have to jump through even more hoops to log in.
>
> I am sure there are many folks who are unaware that is is possible, though
> not intuitive, to upload to your ftp site.
>
> Please tell me that IE8 has plans to improve\add the upload feature.
> Thanks Dave Horne

Kai Schaetzl

Dave Horne schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:57:28 +0200:

> I was just offered IE8 as a Windows Update. I had problems when I first
> installed it, I assume that was the beta version. I also remember that I
> could upload files to my ftp site (for my website) in IE8.

You want to use an ftp Network Place for uploading files. This
functionality was moved to Windows Explorer, already with IE7.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

"Kai Schaetzl" <kai@mvps.org.invalid> wrote in message
> Dave Horne schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:57:28 +0200:
>
>> I was just offered IE8 as a Windows Update. I had problems when I first
>> installed it, I assume that was the beta version. I also remember that I
>> could upload files to my ftp site (for my website) in IE8.

> You want to use an ftp Network Place for uploading files. This
> functionality was moved to Windows Explorer, already with IE7.
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Kai, could you be more clear in what I am supposed to do? Am I correct that
IE8 _does not_ allow me to upload to my ftp site and IE7 does?

If I install IE8, just how do I upload files to my ftp site?

Thanks, DH

Kai Schaetzl

Dave Horne schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:24:54 +0200:

> Kai, could you be more clear in what I am supposed to do? Am I correct that
> IE8 _does not_ allow me to upload to my ftp site and IE7 does?

IE7 doesn't either.

> If I install IE8, just how do I upload files to my ftp site?

By using a Network Place. Assuming you are using XP that's on the start menu:
My Network Places. Use the wizard and enter your data. That creates a permanent
Network Place entry that you can use in Windows Explorer. You have to switch on
FTP view in Windows Explorer (external) in internet options/advanced, too.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Dave Horne

Re: IE8 and uploading to ftp site
Kai, I __am__ able to access and upload to my ftp site using IE7 (as I
detailed in my original post).

I'll look into what you wrote.

Thanks, DH

Dave Horne schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:59:35 +0200:

> Kai, I __am__ able to access and upload to my ftp site using IE7

You can use FTP folder view in an IE7 *tab*? I don't think so ...

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Re: IE8 and uploading to ftp site
Start here:

FTP and IE7 & higher
http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...hat-to-do.aspx

Dave Horne wrote:
> Sorry - in my previous message I miswrote an important piece of
> information.
>
> I could not access my ftp site under IE8 (beta?) but can, though with some
> hoop jumping, access and upload files to my ftp site uysing IE7.
>
> Sorry for this additional post. DH
>

> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> I was just offered IE8 as a Windows Update. I had problems when I first
>> installed it, I assume that was the beta version. I also remember that I
>> could upload files to my ftp site (for my website) in IE8.
>>
>> Under IE7 it is quite a feat to upload to my ftp site and I was wondering
>> if there are plans to add\improve the ftp upload feature that does not,
>> AFAIK, exist in IE8.
>>
>> FWIW, in IE7 I had to ...
>>
>> 1. first click to my ftp site address
>> 2. I then receive an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
>> message
>> 3. I click on Page (on IE7 toolbar)\ Open ftp site in Windows Explorer
>> 4. A Windows Security message window pops up and I must click Allow
>> 5. a new window opens and I receive a FTP Folder Error - Windows cannot
>> access this folder ... etc.
>> 5. I click OK to that message and __then__ I see my ftp site and then I
>> have to jump through even more hoops to log in.
>>
>> I am sure there are many folks who are unaware that is is possible,
>> though
>> not intuitive, to upload to your ftp site.
>>
>> Please tell me that IE8 has plans to improve\add the upload feature.
>> Thanks Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: IE8 and uploading to ftp site
Kai, as I stated in my original post ( and the second with corrections), I
was able to accessand upload to my ftp site using IE7 though I had to jump
through a few hoops (as noted).

I have now installed IE8 and now see that I can also upload files to my ftp
site using IE8.

I first click on my ftp site address and then click on Page \ Open FTP site
in Windows Explorer (in IE8).

Another window opens and I log in to my ftp site.

All the best, DH

> Dave Horne schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:59:35 +0200:
>
>> Kai, I __am__ able to access and upload to my ftp site using IE7

> You can use FTP folder view in an IE7 *tab*? I don't think so ...
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Dave Horne

Re: IE8 and uploading to ftp site
PA Bear, I now see that I can in fact upload files to my ftp site. The
option to 'Open FTP site in Wndows Explorer' is available under Page in IE8
(as it was also in IE7).

Thanks, DH