IE8 - WEB Sites Closing Windows

Tecknomage

IE8 - WEB Sites Closing Windows

There is one WEB site used by my employer that closes the current
window (in current tab) when you use a link to another page (a logon
page). Problem, IE8 pops up a dialog asking me if I want to allow the
window/tab to close [Yes]/[No].

The problem is, if I select [Yes], the page closes but goes BACK to
the first page, not the logon page. To get to the logon page I have
to select [No] and then the logon page opens in a new tab.

I have contacted the specific site about this problem. They should
not close the first page, just open the logon page.

My question for IE8, is there an option to ALWAYS "say No" to the
allow site to close window dialog?

--
======== Tecknomage ========
Computer Systems Spe******t
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 - WEB Sites Closing Windows

"Tecknomage" <tecknode@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:r51jv4t564dpp735mo34rssjp6oopmu7mo@4ax.com...

> There is one WEB site used by my employer that closes the current
> window (in current tab) when you use a link to another page (a logon
> page). Problem, IE8 pops up a dialog asking me if I want to allow the
> window/tab to close [Yes]/[No].
>
> The problem is, if I select [Yes], the page closes but goes BACK to
> the first page, not the logon page. To get to the logon page I have
> to select [No] and then the logon page opens in a new tab.
>
> I have contacted the specific site about this problem. They should
> not close the first page, just open the logon page.
>

> My question for IE8, is there an option to ALWAYS "say No" to the
> allow site to close window dialog?

On XP you could try using RegMon e.g. filter on iexplore*queryvalue
to see which registry value is involved. Then change it from Prompt
to Disable. I don't see one in the Security Settings or Advanced tab UI
which is specifically about this.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Tecknomage

Re: IE8 - WEB Sites Closing Windows + Positioning Problem
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:24:49 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

> "Tecknomage" <tecknode@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:r51jv4t564dpp735mo34rssjp6oopmu7mo@4ax.com...
> >

> > There is one WEB site used by my employer that closes the current
> > window (in current tab) when you use a link to another page (a logon
> > page). Problem, IE8 pops up a dialog asking me if I want to allow the
> > window/tab to close [Yes]/[No].
> >
> > The problem is, if I select [Yes], the page closes but goes BACK to
> > the first page, not the logon page. To get to the logon page I have
> > to select [No] and then the logon page opens in a new tab.
> >
> > I have contacted the specific site about this problem. They should
> > not close the first page, just open the logon page.
> >

> > My question for IE8, is there an option to ALWAYS "say No" to the
> > allow site to close window dialog?

> On XP you could try using RegMon e.g. filter on iexplore*queryvalue
> to see which registry value is involved. Then change it from Prompt
> to Disable. I don't see one in the Security Settings or Advanced tab UI
> which is specifically about this.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Thanks, but I removed IE8 and went back to IE6. IE8 screwed up the
displays on EVERY Blogger.com site I frequent, including my own. There
were other sites that had the same problem.

Note that the so-called Compatibility function was no help.

I know it has to do with the implementation of CSS. It is the sizing
and position issue. The WEB sites that have the problem have CSS code
that IE8 does not interpret correctly. Therefore the CSS
frames/objects are not positioned correctly.

Example, on my http://magepages.blogspot.com/ the frame around the
title image is offset in IE8, but the frame is correctly around the
image in IE6. Also, the entire page content in IE6 is centered and
sized by % (what I wanted), but in IE8 the page content is left.

There may be a way to fix this behavior in IE8 but I will not go
through the hassle of figuring it out. If IE8 had been really
user-friendly this problem would not have occurred.

If anyone wants to look at my Blog in IE8 and see how it displays, let
me know what you see. Just look at the Title Image & frame at the
top.

If you do see it with the frame around the image AND the page contents
centered, let me know what settings in IE8 have to be set. Only then
will I consider IE8.

--
======== Tecknomage ========
Computer Systems Spe******t
Robert Aldwinckle

"Tecknomage" <tecknode@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:8fllv4hlh7a3mtrmpl2iithhlv4l5s49at@4ax.com...

> Thanks, but I removed IE8 and went back to IE6. IE8 screwed up the
> displays on EVERY Blogger.com site I frequent, including my own. There
> were other sites that had the same problem.
>
> Note that the so-called Compatibility function was no help.
>
> I know it has to do with the implementation of CSS. It is the sizing
> and position issue. The WEB sites that have the problem have CSS code
> that IE8 does not interpret correctly. Therefore the CSS
> frames/objects are not positioned correctly.
>

> Example, on my http://magepages.blogspot.com/ the frame around the
> title image is offset in IE8, but the frame is correctly around the
> image in IE6. Also, the entire page content in IE6 is centered and
> sized by % (what I wanted), but in IE8 the page content is left.

Q: Is this the "title image"? It looks too big for the frame.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NU9NyECVwj...ogo760x100.jpg

In fact, you can check that with the Developer Tools (F12) and its
Find tool (Ctrl-B). Header-wrapper Width: 660px
and the image's Actual Width (implied by its name) is 760px.

Or is it supposed to be centered over a too small frame?
In which case why call it a "background-image"?

This may not be the best place to be seeking help with web page coding.
You could try the MSDN forum for IE web development instead.

Good luck

Robert
---

> There may be a way to fix this behavior in IE8 but I will not go
> through the hassle of figuring it out. If IE8 had been really
> user-friendly this problem would not have occurred.
>

> If anyone wants to look at my Blog in IE8 and see how it displays, let
> me know what you see. Just look at the Title Image & frame at the
> top.
>
> If you do see it with the frame around the image AND the page contents
> centered, let me know what settings in IE8 have to be set. Only then
> will I consider IE8.
>

> --
> ======== Tecknomage ========
> Computer Systems Spe******t
> IT Technician
> San Diego, CA

Tecknomage

IE8 Rendering Problem (was Re: IE8 - WEB Sites Closing Windows + Positioning Problem)
On Fri, 1 May 2009 13:55:26 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

> "Tecknomage" <tecknode@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:8fllv4hlh7a3mtrmpl2iithhlv4l5s49at@4ax.com...
>
> > Thanks, but I removed IE8 and went back to IE6. IE8 screwed up the
> > displays on EVERY Blogger.com site I frequent, including my own. There
> > were other sites that had the same problem.
> >
> > Note that the so-called Compatibility function was no help.
> >
> > I know it has to do with the implementation of CSS. It is the sizing
> > and position issue. The WEB sites that have the problem have CSS code
> > that IE8 does not interpret correctly. Therefore the CSS
> > frames/objects are not positioned correctly.
> >

> > Example, on my http://magepages.blogspot.com/ the frame around the
> > title image is offset in IE8, but the frame is correctly around the
> > image in IE6. Also, the entire page content in IE6 is centered and
> > sized by % (what I wanted), but in IE8 the page content is left.

> Q: Is this the "title image"? It looks too big for the frame.
>
> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NU9NyECVwj...ogo760x100.jpg
>
> In fact, you can check that with the Developer Tools (F12) and its
> Find tool (Ctrl-B). Header-wrapper Width: 660px
> and the image's Actual Width (implied by its name) is 760px.
>
> Or is it supposed to be centered over a too small frame?
> In which case why call it a "background-image"?
>
> This may not be the best place to be seeking help with web page coding.
> You could try the MSDN forum for IE web development instead.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---

You are misinterpreting the problem, it NOT page coding. Blogger uses
HTML4 & CSS2 standards as do many, many other sites.

My page displays CORRECTLY in IE6.

My page displays WRONG in IE8.

IE8 is NOT rendering pages correctly.

The CSS style uses does not code fixed size of the frame around the
image, it just "says" put 2-line frame around object (in this case the
image). The frame will fit around the object whatever the object
size, IF the browser renders correctly.

--
======== Tecknomage ========
Computer Systems Spe******t