IE8 automatically deployed to windows update

JAQUEBAUER

IE8 automatically deployed to windows update
With all the known issues listed in the release notes, plus others you have
not defned there, why would you make this an automatic update for all ? As I
can attest, I installed IE8 without doing any preliminary research, and ended
up with a crippled computer. I bet there are going to be millions of upset
users, that dont have the knowledge to get themselves out of trouble. I
believe this will add to the already unhappy community microsoft users.

Untill IE8 can be as passive as Firefox-with regard to system compatability,
I suggest you pull IE8 back from automatic windows update

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 automatically deployed to windows update
Internet Explorer 8 is never automatically installed. Users must
specifically approve the installation.

Release Notes accompany every major software installation, be it from
Microsoft or other software vendors. One of the important roles of the
Release Notes is to describe known problems with the software, so users
who could be affected can take appropriate action. If you think this is
something unique to Internet Explorer, you've got a lot to learn about
software.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JAQUEBAUER wrote:
> With all the known issues listed in the release notes, plus others you have
> not defned there, why would you make this an automatic update for all ? As I
> can attest, I installed IE8 without doing any preliminary research, and ended
> up with a crippled computer. I bet there are going to be millions of upset
> users, that dont have the knowledge to get themselves out of trouble. I
> believe this will add to the already unhappy community microsoft users.
>
> Untill IE8 can be as passive as Firefox-with regard to system compatability,
> I suggest you pull IE8 back from automatic windows update
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

JAQUEBAUER

Re: IE8 automatically deployed to windows update
Perhaps you have much to learn about the millions of users that have no
knowledge of software development, or even know what a "bug" is. ( or how a
comouter works) I am referring to the Moms, Kids, and Grandmas that use the
computer as a "tool", and know nothing about release notes.

The un-knowing are blasted with messages to upgrade to IE8 and they do it,
or it has been deployed overnight automatically unknowing to them. It is
that class of user that will be negatively affected. I knew better than to
blindly install any ugrade or patch, until I did my homework.

As far a " I have a lot to learn about software," perhaps you have much to
learn about "user centered design." As a designer, I know there is no such
thing as "idiot proofing" a design or product. And I also know there are
plenty of cases where a product was deployed without understanding all the
consequences. ( Vista??)

And from the over 300 pages of postings in this forum, is appears that is
the case with IE8.

Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Internet Explorer 8 is never automatically installed. Users must
> specifically approve the installation.
>
> Release Notes accompany every major software installation, be it from
> Microsoft or other software vendors. One of the important roles of the
> Release Notes is to describe known problems with the software, so users
> who could be affected can take appropriate action. If you think this is
> something unique to Internet Explorer, you've got a lot to learn about
> software.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> JAQUEBAUER wrote:
> > With all the known issues listed in the release notes, plus others you have
> > not defned there, why would you make this an automatic update for all ? As I
> > can attest, I installed IE8 without doing any preliminary research, and ended
> > up with a crippled computer. I bet there are going to be millions of upset
> > users, that dont have the knowledge to get themselves out of trouble. I
> > believe this will add to the already unhappy community microsoft users.
> >
> > Untill IE8 can be as passive as Firefox-with regard to system compatability,
> > I suggest you pull IE8 back from automatic windows update
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 automatically deployed to windows update
Internet Explorer 8 is not "deployed overnight automatically unknowing"
to anyone.

This newsgroup is intended to help people who have problems or questions
about Internet Explorer. You expect to see posts from people who are
having problems. The majority who have no trouble upgrading their
computers have no reason to post here.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JAQUEBAUER wrote:
> Perhaps you have much to learn about the millions of users that have no
> knowledge of software development, or even know what a "bug" is. ( or how a
> comouter works) I am referring to the Moms, Kids, and Grandmas that use the
> computer as a "tool", and know nothing about release notes.
>
> The un-knowing are blasted with messages to upgrade to IE8 and they do it,
> or it has been deployed overnight automatically unknowing to them. It is
> that class of user that will be negatively affected. I knew better than to
> blindly install any ugrade or patch, until I did my homework.
>
> As far a " I have a lot to learn about software," perhaps you have much to
> learn about "user centered design." As a designer, I know there is no such
> thing as "idiot proofing" a design or product. And I also know there are
> plenty of cases where a product was deployed without understanding all the
> consequences. ( Vista??)
>
> And from the over 300 pages of postings in this forum, is appears that is
> the case with IE8.
>

> Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Internet Explorer 8 is never automatically installed. Users must
>> specifically approve the installation.
>>
>> Release Notes accompany every major software installation, be it from
>> Microsoft or other software vendors. One of the important roles of the
>> Release Notes is to describe known problems with the software, so users
>> who could be affected can take appropriate action. If you think this is
>> something unique to Internet Explorer, you've got a lot to learn about
>> software.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> JAQUEBAUER wrote:
>>> With all the known issues listed in the release notes, plus others you have
>>> not defned there, why would you make this an automatic update for all ? As I
>>> can attest, I installed IE8 without doing any preliminary research, and ended
>>> up with a crippled computer. I bet there are going to be millions of upset
>>> users, that dont have the knowledge to get themselves out of trouble. I
>>> believe this will add to the already unhappy community microsoft users.
>>>
>>> Untill IE8 can be as passive as Firefox-with regard to system compatability,
>>> I suggest you pull IE8 back from automatic windows update
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
>>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
>>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
>>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

JAQUEBAUER

Re: IE8 automatically deployed to windows update
The MSDN blog posted a "prepare for automatic distribution of IE8 !! ( How
many grandmas or kids read MSDN ? )

Link
[http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-of-ie8.aspx]

And is that why Microsoft deployed a Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery
of Internet Explorer 8 ?

Link
[http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=en]

"Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum"

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Internet Explorer 8 is not "deployed overnight automatically unknowing"
> to anyone.
>
> This newsgroup is intended to help people who have problems or questions
> about Internet Explorer. You expect to see posts from people who are
> having problems. The majority who have no trouble upgrading their
> computers have no reason to post here.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> JAQUEBAUER wrote:
> > Perhaps you have much to learn about the millions of users that have no
> > knowledge of software development, or even know what a "bug" is. ( or how a
> > comouter works) I am referring to the Moms, Kids, and Grandmas that use the
> > computer as a "tool", and know nothing about release notes.
> >
> > The un-knowing are blasted with messages to upgrade to IE8 and they do it,
> > or it has been deployed overnight automatically unknowing to them. It is
> > that class of user that will be negatively affected. I knew better than to
> > blindly install any ugrade or patch, until I did my homework.
> >
> > As far a " I have a lot to learn about software," perhaps you have much to
> > learn about "user centered design." As a designer, I know there is no such
> > thing as "idiot proofing" a design or product. And I also know there are
> > plenty of cases where a product was deployed without understanding all the
> > consequences. ( Vista??)
> >
> > And from the over 300 pages of postings in this forum, is appears that is
> > the case with IE8.
> >

> > Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Internet Explorer 8 is never automatically installed. Users must
> >> specifically approve the installation.
> >>
> >> Release Notes accompany every major software installation, be it from
> >> Microsoft or other software vendors. One of the important roles of the
> >> Release Notes is to describe known problems with the software, so users
> >> who could be affected can take appropriate action. If you think this is
> >> something unique to Internet Explorer, you've got a lot to learn about
> >> software.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 automatically deployed to windows update
Automatic distribution does not means automatic installation.

The toolkit you are referring to is provided to network administrators
to block network users from installing the upgrade to IE 8. (The same
toolkit was provided when IE 7 was introduced.) This is vital when an
organization has critical internally-developed applications that have
not been modified to work with the new browser. Even in the absence of
internally-developed applications, an organization's IT staff will want
to take due time to familiarize themselves with the new browser so that
they can properly support it once they push it out to their network clients.

You ought to do some research before you run your mouth.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JAQUEBAUER wrote:
> The MSDN blog posted a "prepare for automatic distribution of IE8 !! ( How
> many grandmas or kids read MSDN ? )
>
> Link
> [http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-of-ie8.aspx]
>

> And is that why Microsoft deployed a Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery
> of Internet Explorer 8 ?
>
> Link
> [http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=en]
>

> "Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum"
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>

>> Internet Explorer 8 is not "deployed overnight automatically unknowing"
>> to anyone.
>>
>> This newsgroup is intended to help people who have problems or questions
>> about Internet Explorer. You expect to see posts from people who are
>> having problems. The majority who have no trouble upgrading their
>> computers have no reason to post here.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> JAQUEBAUER wrote:
>>> Perhaps you have much to learn about the millions of users that have no
>>> knowledge of software development, or even know what a "bug" is. ( or how a
>>> comouter works) I am referring to the Moms, Kids, and Grandmas that use the
>>> computer as a "tool", and know nothing about release notes.
>>>
>>> The un-knowing are blasted with messages to upgrade to IE8 and they do it,
>>> or it has been deployed overnight automatically unknowing to them. It is
>>> that class of user that will be negatively affected. I knew better than to
>>> blindly install any ugrade or patch, until I did my homework.
>>>
>>> As far a " I have a lot to learn about software," perhaps you have much to
>>> learn about "user centered design." As a designer, I know there is no such
>>> thing as "idiot proofing" a design or product. And I also know there are
>>> plenty of cases where a product was deployed without understanding all the
>>> consequences. ( Vista??)
>>>
>>> And from the over 300 pages of postings in this forum, is appears that is
>>> the case with IE8.

Re: IE8 automatically deployed to windows update
AU may download it, but IE8 will NOT install without user permission. Now
who's to blame?

That being said, I disagreed with AU "pushing" IE7 (which also required
permission to install) and I disagree with IE8 being "pushed" too.