Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2009
Mickey Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font
Some pages end up being displayed with a font that is presented to me as an
italics or fancy type of font, yet when I view the page from another
computer, it appears perfectly normal. For example, I'm viewing the
wikipedia home page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and most of the
text appears as if it's some kind of italics.

Any ideas why, and better, how to fix it? I have a lot of fonts installed
on my system, but I can't see how that would matter. I haven't uninstalled
any of the system fonts (as far as I know). I don't have any odd settings
within IE7. For example, when I look at Tools | Internet Options | Fonts,
it shows Language Script = Latin based, Webpage
font = Times New Roman, and Plain text = Courier New. None of the boxes on
the Accessibility page are checked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!




Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font
Hi Mickey,

check "Ignore font styles specified on web pages" on the Accessibility
dialog of Internet Options.

If you like, go to the Fonts dialog and then change your default font
(family) to another on the list.

With the Ignore font styles specified on web pages setting checked, all web
pages will ignore their font-family formatting and use your chosen default
font family.

Regards.

"Mickey Ferguson" <MickeyFerguson@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu> wrote in
message news:#Pwu6bWyJHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Some pages end up being displayed with a font that is presented to me as
> an italics or fancy type of font, yet when I view the page from another
> computer, it appears perfectly normal. For example, I'm viewing the
> wikipedia home page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and most of
> the text appears as if it's some kind of italics.
>
> Any ideas why, and better, how to fix it? I have a lot of fonts installed
> on my system, but I can't see how that would matter. I haven't
> uninstalled any of the system fonts (as far as I know). I don't have any
> odd settings within IE7. For example, when I look at Tools | Internet
> Options | Fonts, it shows Language Script = Latin based, Webpage
> font = Times New Roman, and Plain text = Courier New. None of the boxes
> on the Accessibility page are checked.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2009
Mickey Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font
Thanks, Rob, that does seem to eliminate the problem. However, that's
really a workaround instead of a solution. When I visit a page, I'd like to
see it as the creator intended, using their fonts. In my case, I'm viewing
a page that is supposed to be rendered in Arial (can't get much more normal
than that), and I don't see normal Arial in my browser. I'd like to figure
out and fix the underlying problem. Any suggestions on how to do that?

"rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:7B859D69-7D27-4CC0-A4DD-284656BB341B@microsoft.com...
> Hi Mickey,
>
> check "Ignore font styles specified on web pages" on the Accessibility
> dialog of Internet Options.
>
> If you like, go to the Fonts dialog and then change your default font
> (family) to another on the list.
>
> With the Ignore font styles specified on web pages setting checked, all
> web pages will ignore their font-family formatting and use your chosen
> default font family.
>
> "Mickey Ferguson" <MickeyFerguson@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu> wrote in
> message news:#Pwu6bWyJHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Some pages end up being displayed with a font that is presented to me as
>> an italics or fancy type of font, yet when I view the page from another
>> computer, it appears perfectly normal. For example, I'm viewing the
>> wikipedia home page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and most of
>> the text appears as if it's some kind of italics.
>>
>> Any ideas why, and better, how to fix it? I have a lot of fonts
>> installed on my system, but I can't see how that would matter. I haven't
>> uninstalled any of the system fonts (as far as I know). I don't have any
>> odd settings within IE7. For example, when I look at Tools | Internet
>> Options | Fonts, it shows Language Script = Latin based, Webpage
>> font = Times New Roman, and Plain text = Courier New. None of the boxes
>> on the Accessibility page are checked.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font

"Mickey Ferguson" <MickeyFerguson@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu> wrote in message news:%23Pwu6bWyJHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> [Subject: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font]


> Some pages end up being displayed with a font that is presented to me as an
> italics or fancy type of font, yet when I view the page from another
> computer, it appears perfectly normal.



What version of IE are you using on the other computer? <eg>


> For example, I'm viewing the
> wikipedia home page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and most of the
> text appears as if it's some kind of italics.



Not in IE8. ; )


>
> Any ideas why, and better, how to fix it? I have a lot of fonts installed
> on my system, but I can't see how that would matter.



More fonts would provide more possibilities for a bug to expose itself.


> I haven't uninstalled any of the system fonts (as far as I know).



See this post (recently referred to) for a possible diagnostic procedure.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a69&sloc=en-us


Actually, I have a vague recollection of a problem in IE7 regarding
italic that Eric Lawrence admitted to...

Unfortunately, whatever it was is gone, deleted from the Communities
archive and probably never propagated to Google Groups. (This newsgroup
was originally the NG where IE7 public beta reports were made.)

Going even further in my shakey recollection I think a workaround
was available by changing the HTML markup. Since IE8 has supposedly
improved IE's adherence to standards something like that could explain
why I don't see your symptom on that page--though my fonts are all
only standard.


> I don't have any odd settings
> within IE7. For example, when I look at Tools | Internet Options | Fonts,
> it shows Language Script = Latin based, Webpage
> font = Times New Roman, and Plain text = Courier New. None of the boxes on
> the Accessibility page are checked.



Oh. Well, I always change those fonts. Can't stand either of them. ; )


>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!



Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2009
Mickey Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font
Replies embedded...

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
news:ukSZZ8nyJHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "Mickey Ferguson" <MickeyFerguson@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu> wrote in
> message news:%23Pwu6bWyJHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>> [Subject: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font]

>
>> Some pages end up being displayed with a font that is presented to me as
>> an
>> italics or fancy type of font, yet when I view the page from another
>> computer, it appears perfectly normal.

>
>
> What version of IE are you using on the other computer? <eg>


Both computers are using IE7, XP SP3.

>> For example, I'm viewing the
>> wikipedia home page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and most of
>> the
>> text appears as if it's some kind of italics.

>
>
> Not in IE8. ; )


Maybe. I'm hesitant to go to IE8 right now. It's got a lot of junk I don't
want, and I've read some horror stories about the move as well. Yes, some
of those are from beta times, when you expect some issues, but I don't want
to mess up my system, either. If I do go to IE8, I'll certainly do a
system-wide backup so that I can restore if I have problems with IE8.

> See this post (recently referred to) for a possible diagnostic procedure.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a69&sloc=en-us


That thread really didn't help. I read one or two threads above and below
it and didn't see anything that would solve my situation, either. But
thanks anyway.

> Actually, I have a vague recollection of a problem in IE7 regarding
> italic that Eric Lawrence admitted to...
>
> Unfortunately, whatever it was is gone, deleted from the Communities
> archive and probably never propagated to Google Groups. (This newsgroup
> was originally the NG where IE7 public beta reports were made.)
>
> Going even further in my shakey recollection I think a workaround
> was available by changing the HTML markup. Since IE8 has supposedly
> improved IE's adherence to standards something like that could explain
> why I don't see your symptom on that page--though my fonts are all
> only standard.



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font
Hi Mickey,

Web pages can specify the font-families that will be used by default by a
browser. Usually a web designer will specify a list of one or more
font-families, so that if the font is not installed on the client the
browser will fall back to the second, then the third etc. specified font.

see http://www.webspaceworks.com/resources/links/39/

If none of the specified fonts exist on the client machine, then the browser
will fall back to use the font-families specified on the Fonts Dialog of
Internet Options.

There are other considerations also such as the page encoding. utf-8 for
example may force the browser to choose a unicode font as a fallback if none
is specified.

You can over-ride web page font-families, by using a userStylesheet in IE
(see Accessibility dialog) and using the style over-ride directive.

*{font-family:Times New Roman!important}

Regards.

"Mickey Ferguson" <MickeyFerguson@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu> wrote in
message news:O#F#2voyJHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Replies embedded...
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
> news:ukSZZ8nyJHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Mickey Ferguson" <MickeyFerguson@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu> wrote in
>> message news:%23Pwu6bWyJHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>>> [Subject: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font]

>>
>>> Some pages end up being displayed with a font that is presented to me as
>>> an
>>> italics or fancy type of font, yet when I view the page from another
>>> computer, it appears perfectly normal.

>>
>>
>> What version of IE are you using on the other computer? <eg>

>
> Both computers are using IE7, XP SP3.
>
>>> For example, I'm viewing the
>>> wikipedia home page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and most of
>>> the
>>> text appears as if it's some kind of italics.

>>
>>
>> Not in IE8. ; )

>
> Maybe. I'm hesitant to go to IE8 right now. It's got a lot of junk I
> don't want, and I've read some horror stories about the move as well.
> Yes, some of those are from beta times, when you expect some issues, but I
> don't want to mess up my system, either. If I do go to IE8, I'll
> certainly do a system-wide backup so that I can restore if I have problems
> with IE8.
>
>> See this post (recently referred to) for a possible diagnostic procedure.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a69&sloc=en-us

>
> That thread really didn't help. I read one or two threads above and below
> it and didn't see anything that would solve my situation, either. But
> thanks anyway.
>
>> Actually, I have a vague recollection of a problem in IE7 regarding
>> italic that Eric Lawrence admitted to...
>>
>> Unfortunately, whatever it was is gone, deleted from the Communities
>> archive and probably never propagated to Google Groups. (This newsgroup
>> was originally the NG where IE7 public beta reports were made.)
>>
>> Going even further in my shakey recollection I think a workaround
>> was available by changing the HTML markup. Since IE8 has supposedly
>> improved IE's adherence to standards something like that could explain
>> why I don't see your symptom on that page--though my fonts are all
>> only standard.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2010
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
jackwfletcher@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE7 sometimes displays pages with italics-like font
I had exactly the same issue, and I resolved it by going into the "Fonts" folder in Windows, and selecting all fonts. Deleting all (except Windows would not delete the system fonts). Restarted the computer, and ran all usual registry cleaners, (ccleaner found several font related errors). Then I went back into the "Font" folder of Windows, and right clicked inside the window, and chose "Install Fonts". I selected all, and let windows install all the fonts again. (without overwriting the system fonts). Restarted again, and everything is fine again now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Ferguson View Post
Some pages end up being displayed with a font that is presented to me as an
italics or fancy type of font, yet when I view the page from another
computer, it appears perfectly normal. For example, I'm viewing the
wikipedia home page, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and most of the
text appears as if it's some kind of italics.

Any ideas why, and better, how to fix it? I have a lot of fonts installed
on my system, but I can't see how that would matter. I haven't uninstalled
any of the system fonts (as far as I know). I don't have any odd settings
within IE7. For example, when I look at Tools | Internet Options | Fonts,
it shows Language Script = Latin based, Webpage
font = Times New Roman, and Plain text = Courier New. None of the boxes on
the Accessibility page are checked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE8 crashes with pages using bitstream web font player! Agnivo007 microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 9 11-24-2009 21:57
Input font size or auto complete font size too small highperf4x4 microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 14 04-24-2009 23:17
Outgoing font and font size jkingiv microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 08-01-2008 10:12
Article ID: 931478 A document that uses the Meiryo font prints by using a TrueType font instead of a device font when you print the document in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
How to remove unneeded large asian font files from font folder =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcyBGaXNjaGVy?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 5 02-28-2007 14:11




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120