IE8 and TEMPLATEPRINTER

Rob Tuch

IE8 and TEMPLATEPRINTER

I maintain an application that uses IE Print Templates (using
TEMPLATEPRINTER, DEVICERECT, and LAYOUTRECT) in a manner similar to the Print
Template Sample app provided on MSDN via this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ttemplates.exe

Unfortunately after installing IE8 (on Windows XP) when attempting to PRINT
(without prompting the user to select a printer) using the template (e.g.,
Template2 in sample app), you now get an "Unspecified Error" in the
JavaScript at the TEMPLATEPRINTER instance call to PrintPage.

It DOES work if you have the template first prompt the user for the printer.
However, this would be an unwelcome change in functionality, and (I hope)
there must be some way to make this work again without the prompt.

User's of this app cannot move to IE8 until we can resolve this.

Can anyone suggest a solution that involves only adjusting the print
template HTML? I've tried adding <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
content="IE=7"/> to no avail.

Rob Tuch

RE: IE8 and TEMPLATEPRINTER
Unfortunately, I have had the following response from Microsoft...

".. IE 8 has [been] released you will file feedback through released product
support channels which are not supported on Connect. The newsgroup, developer
forum or blog might be a more direct route to the team."

So, I implore any (especially Microsoft Reps) who have a solution for this
to respond. Even the workaround I thought I found does not seem to work
consistently.

Thanks,
Rob Tuch