IE-8 Thoughts?

CWLee

IE-8 Thoughts?

I'm running Vista Ultimate, 64-bit version. Today's updates
from MS included installing IE-8, and some other stuff.
I've done the other stuff, but decided not to add IE-8 at
this time. I see a lot of people posting here about
problems they have experienced with IE-8, so I think I'll
wait a few weeks - or months.

Are there rumors yet of an SP-1 to fix/change any of the
things that seem to have attracted so much criticism?

Both general and specific comments about IE-8 welcome.

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Jud McCranie

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:13:36 -0700, "CWLee"
<cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

>Both general and specific comments about IE-8 welcome.

I wish I had help off on IE8. I got a beta version that was nothing
but trouble. Then another beta that had problems. And now the
release version has quit working at all.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Leonard Grey

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?
If the experience of this newsgroup is any indication, virtually all the
problems people have experienced were of their own causing.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

CWLee wrote:

> I'm running Vista Ultimate, 64-bit version. Today's updates from MS
> included installing IE-8, and some other stuff. I've done the other
> stuff, but decided not to add IE-8 at this time. I see a lot of people
> posting here about problems they have experienced with IE-8, so I think
> I'll wait a few weeks - or months.
>
> Are there rumors yet of an SP-1 to fix/change any of the things that
> seem to have attracted so much criticism?
>
> Both general and specific comments about IE-8 welcome.
>
> Thanks.

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?
There will not be an IE8 SP1.

CWLee wrote:
> I'm running Vista Ultimate, 64-bit version. Today's updates
> from MS included installing IE-8, and some other stuff.
> I've done the other stuff, but decided not to add IE-8 at
> this time. I see a lot of people posting here about
> problems they have experienced with IE-8, so I think I'll
> wait a few weeks - or months.
>
> Are there rumors yet of an SP-1 to fix/change any of the
> things that seem to have attracted so much criticism?
>
> Both general and specific comments about IE-8 welcome.
>
> Thanks.

CWLee

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?

"Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote: "... the
problems people have experienced were of their own causing."

That may be true - I'm in no position to confirm or refute -
so I'll take your word for it.

I'm a pretty unsophisticated user - what are the common
things that guys like me do that cause us these problems
with IE-8? I have Avast AV running all the time, otherwise
my system is as it came factory installed by HP. How about
some general hints of things to do before I tell the
automatic update process to download and install IE-8.

Thanks.

==============================

> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> CWLee wrote:
>>
>> I'm running Vista Ultimate, 64-bit version. Today's
>> updates from MS included installing IE-8, and some other
>> stuff. I've done the other stuff, but decided not to add
>> IE-8 at this time. I see a lot of people posting here
>> about problems they have experienced with IE-8, so I
>> think I'll wait a few weeks - or months.
>>
>> Are there rumors yet of an SP-1 to fix/change any of the
>> things that seem to have attracted so much criticism?
>>
>> Both general and specific comments about IE-8 welcome.
>>
>> Thanks.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?
I don't claim that this is a complete list. I have not yet installed IE
8, so I may yet find things to add to this list or to change. Most of
the steps below are SOP for any major software installation, including
service packs. In any case, this is my opinion. I'm sure other people
have their opinions.

1- Read about the new features of Internet Explorer 8.
2- Search the web for information about installing IE 8, including the
Release Notes.
3- Make sure your computer is completely free of malware.
4- Make sure your computer is otherwise problem-free.
5- Make sure all your software (including Windows itself) and drivers
are up to date.
6- Make sure all your security software, and any applications you
frequently use, are compatible with IE 8.
7- Make sure that websites you rely on (e.g., financial institutions)
work with IE 8.
8- Uninstall all third-party Internet Explorer toolbars and toolbar buttons.
9- Reset Internet Explorer to default settings.
10- Backup your hard drive; or at least backup your own files and create
a restore point.
11- Download the IE 8 installer directly from the Microsoft website.
12- Close all open applications, i.e., applications with an icon on the
Taskbar.
13- Disable your security software. Turn on Windows Firewall. Re-start
your computer.
14- When installing IE 8, agree to "Install updates" when prompted.
15- Reboot twice after installing IE 8.
16- Re-enable your security software. Turn off Windows Firewall.
17- Spend some time working with your new browser, to understand how the
new features work.

Follow the above procedures and you are pretty much guaranteed to
succeed, provided that you habitually operate your computer in a
supported manner. If you're the type who likes to fiddle around in the
registry and/or otherwise hack your operating system, all bets are off.

I have never--repeat, never--had a problem with any upgrade to my
operating system, going back to Windows 98. If all that preparation
looks like a lot of work, just think of all the time and frustration
you'll spare yourself after the installation. While your unprepared
cohorts are tearing their hair out over their sputtering computers and
filling the newsgroups with rabid screed, you'll be surfing the web.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

CWLee wrote:

> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote: "... the problems people
> have experienced were of their own causing."
>
> That may be true - I'm in no position to confirm or refute - so I'll
> take your word for it.
>
> I'm a pretty unsophisticated user - what are the common things that guys
> like me do that cause us these problems with IE-8? I have Avast AV
> running all the time, otherwise my system is as it came factory
> installed by HP. How about some general hints of things to do before I
> tell the automatic update process to download and install IE-8.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ==============================
>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> CWLee wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm running Vista Ultimate, 64-bit version. Today's updates from MS
>>> included installing IE-8, and some other stuff. I've done the other
>>> stuff, but decided not to add IE-8 at this time. I see a lot of
>>> people posting here about problems they have experienced with IE-8,
>>> so I think I'll wait a few weeks - or months.
>>>
>>> Are there rumors yet of an SP-1 to fix/change any of the things that
>>> seem to have attracted so much criticism?
>>>
>>> Both general and specific comments about IE-8 welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

D. Spencer Hines

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?
A proper piece of software should ITSELF remove all traces of former
versions of the same software -- but allow for rollback if that is the
user's choice -- by packratting a bolus of the former version on the hard
disk.
--
D. Spencer Hines
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Jim

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?

"D. Spencer Hines" <panther@excelsior.net> wrote in message
>A proper piece of software should ITSELF remove all traces of former
>versions of the same software -- but allow for rollback if that is the
>user's choice -- by packratting a bolus of the former version on the hard
>disk.
> --
> D. Spencer Hines
> Lux et Veritas et Libertas
> Vires et Honor
> Veni, Vidi, Calcitravi Asinum

That description is the way that all Windows patches work. However,
registry entries are not always removed for a variety of reasons; one of
which is that an AV package is preventing change to the registry. Spybot's
TeaTimer program is one such thing,

Jim

D. Spencer Hines

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?
True.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Jim" <j.n@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "D. Spencer Hines" <panther@excelsior.net> wrote in message

>>A proper piece of software should ITSELF remove all traces of former
>>versions of the same software -- but allow for rollback if that is the
>>user's choice -- by packratting a bolus of the former version on the hard
>>disk.
>> --
>> D. Spencer Hines
>> Lux et Veritas et Libertas
>> Vires et Honor
>> Veni, Vidi, Calcitravi Asinum
>>

> That description is the way that all Windows patches work. However,
> registry entries are not always removed for a variety of reasons; one of
> which is that an AV package is preventing change to the registry.
> Spybot's TeaTimer program is one such thing,
>
> Jim

PA Bear [MS-MVP]

Re: IE-8 Thoughts?
If "all traces of former versions" have been "removed," how would a
rollback be possible, you hooplehead? Jeez..., do you ever think
before posting?