Internet Explorer Hangs

Remedy Malahide

Internet Explorer Hangs
Hi

i sent this question orginally to microsoft help and support but they say
don't know the answer and have pointed me in the direction of a newsgroups
for help so here is the problem ...

I have Windows XP Home and Internet Explorer 8.

I am having problems with IE8 hanging since i installed ie8. When i open the
browser for the first time, there are no problems and my home page loads
instantly. If i browse to any site within the same tab of the same browser
there is never a problem.

However there are intermittent problems opening any new browser tabs or
browser instances. It is happening on a daily basis now. At first they open
fine, but then after awhile I cannot open a new tab or instance of ie8, it
will just hang and say "Connecting to xxx.xx.xxx.xx" [ip address]. If i then
paste the url that i am attempting to browse to into the original instance of
the browser, it works fine. If i try to open a new instance of Mozilla
Firefox when this problem occurs, it works fine in that browser so i know
it's not a connection problem.

I have installed all critical Microsoft updates and i have disabled all
add-ons except Microsoft add-ons and Adobe Shockwave Flash.

Please help ...

thanks
Remedy Malahide

RE: Internet Explorer Hangs
Nobody has any idea?

I guess my only option now is to use Firefox.

"Remedy Malahide" wrote:

> Hi
>
> i sent this question orginally to microsoft help and support but they say
> don't know the answer and have pointed me in the direction of a newsgroups
> for help so here is the problem ...
>
> I have Windows XP Home and Internet Explorer 8.
>
> I am having problems with IE8 hanging since i installed ie8. When i open the
> browser for the first time, there are no problems and my home page loads
> instantly. If i browse to any site within the same tab of the same browser
> there is never a problem.
>
> However there are intermittent problems opening any new browser tabs or
> browser instances. It is happening on a daily basis now. At first they open
> fine, but then after awhile I cannot open a new tab or instance of ie8, it
> will just hang and say "Connecting to xxx.xx.xxx.xx" [ip address]. If i then
> paste the url that i am attempting to browse to into the original instance of
> the browser, it works fine. If i try to open a new instance of Mozilla
> Firefox when this problem occurs, it works fine in that browser so i know
> it's not a connection problem.
>
> I have installed all critical Microsoft updates and i have disabled all
> add-ons except Microsoft add-ons and Adobe Shockwave Flash.
>
> Please help ...
>
> thanks

Re: Internet Explorer Hangs
1. Does the behavior persist if you access the page in Compatibility Mode?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Remedy Malahide wrote:
> i sent this question orginally to microsoft help and support but they say
> don't know the answer and have pointed me in the direction of a newsgroups
> for help so here is the problem ...
>
> I have Windows XP Home and Internet Explorer 8.
>
> I am having problems with IE8 hanging since i installed ie8. When i open
> the
> browser for the first time, there are no problems and my home page loads
> instantly. If i browse to any site within the same tab of the same browser
> there is never a problem.
>
> However there are intermittent problems opening any new browser tabs or
> browser instances. It is happening on a daily basis now. At first they
> open
> fine, but then after awhile I cannot open a new tab or instance of ie8, it
> will just hang and say "Connecting to xxx.xx.xxx.xx" [ip address]. If i
> then
> paste the url that i am attempting to browse to into the original instance
> of the browser, it works fine. If i try to open a new instance of Mozilla
> Firefox when this problem occurs, it works fine in that browser so i know
> it's not a connection problem.
>
> I have installed all critical Microsoft updates and i have disabled all
> add-ons except Microsoft add-ons and Adobe Shockwave Flash.
>
> Please help ...
>
> thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Explorer Hangs

"Remedy Malahide" <RemedyMalahide@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Nobody has any idea?

You could get some ideas for yourself by searching the archive
that you are using. ; }

If all your Connecting... messages are really showing an (undisclosed)
IP address then spyware is a likely cause.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I guess my only option now is to use Firefox.

Since that isn't targeted by spyware?

> "Remedy Malahide" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> i sent this question orginally to microsoft help and support but they say
>> don't know the answer and have pointed me in the direction of a newsgroups
>> for help so here is the problem ...
>>
>> I have Windows XP Home and Internet Explorer 8.
>>
>> I am having problems with IE8 hanging since i installed ie8. When i open the
>> browser for the first time, there are no problems and my home page loads
>> instantly. If i browse to any site within the same tab of the same browser
>> there is never a problem.
>>
>> However there are intermittent problems opening any new browser tabs or
>> browser instances. It is happening on a daily basis now. At first they open
>> fine, but then after awhile I cannot open a new tab or instance of ie8, it
>> will just hang and say "Connecting to xxx.xx.xxx.xx" [ip address]. If i then
>> paste the url that i am attempting to browse to into the original instance of
>> the browser, it works fine. If i try to open a new instance of Mozilla
>> Firefox when this problem occurs, it works fine in that browser so i know
>> it's not a connection problem.
>>
>> I have installed all critical Microsoft updates and i have disabled all
>> add-ons except Microsoft add-ons and Adobe Shockwave Flash.
>>
>> Please help ...
>>
>> thanks

Remedy Malahide

Re: Internet Explorer Hangs
I have used ad-aware from lavasoft to attempt to get rid of spyware but the
hanging problem still exists. The ip address is not undisclosed, i just wrote
it like that to not disclose it here. The problem is happening now. For
google it will say "Connecting to site 209.85.227.104" but never load. The
reason i mention a switch to firefox is that the problem never happens in
firefox.

>I have used ad-aware from lavasoft to attempt to get rid of spyware but the
> hanging problem still exists. The ip address is not undisclosed, i just wrote
> it like that to not disclose it here. The problem is happening now. For
> google it will say "Connecting to site 209.85.227.104" but never load.

There doesn't seem to be an HTTP server there

<telnet>
Microsoft Telnet> o 209.85.227.104 80
Connecting To 209.85.227.104...
</telnet>

So that doesn't look like a good lookup for www.google.com to me.
Can you show us the nslookup that you get for that host name?

Hmm... that's strange. The second time I tried it I did get redirected...

<telnet subcommand="o 209.85.227.104 80" HTTP_request="GET /">
HTTP/0.9 302 Found
Location: http://www.google.ca/
</telnet>

So there is some kind of association there with Google.

> The reason i mention a switch to firefox is that the problem never happens in
> firefox.

In the spyware hypothesis you wouldn't necessarily be going to the same
IP address with both examples. E.g. the IP address that you are seeing
might be an address that the spyware site is trying to redirect you to.
You could try using Fiddler2 to see what is really happening in both cases
as far as the HTTP goes, if both lookups are the same.

Good luck

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "Remedy Malahide" <RemedyMalahide@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Nobody has any idea?

>> You could get some ideas for yourself by searching the archive
>> that you are using. ; }
>>
>> If all your Connecting... messages are really showing an (undisclosed)
>> IP address then spyware is a likely cause.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>

>> > I guess my only option now is to use Firefox.

>> Since that isn't targeted by spyware?

Re: Internet Explorer Hangs
You may have missed:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5825eb3d?hl=en

Remedy Malahide wrote:
> I have used ad-aware from lavasoft to attempt to get rid of spyware but
> the
> hanging problem still exists. The ip address is not undisclosed, i just
> wrote it like that to not disclose it here. The problem is happening now.
> For google it will say "Connecting to site 209.85.227.104" but never load.
> The reason i mention a switch to firefox is that the problem never happens
> in firefox.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "Remedy Malahide" <RemedyMalahide@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:FFBF6685-07AF-4EBF-85E9-FC785D7F02EA@microsoft.com...
>>> Nobody has any idea?

>> You could get some ideas for yourself by searching the archive
>> that you are using. ; }
>>
>> If all your Connecting... messages are really showing an (undisclosed)
>> IP address then spyware is a likely cause.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>

>>> I guess my only option now is to use Firefox.

>> Since that isn't targeted by spyware?

Remedy Malahide

Re: Internet Explorer Hangs
Hi Robert

thanks for trying to help.

the ip address i mentioned is just an example for my home page. when the
problem occurs it hangs anywhere i browse e.g. "Connecting to site
69.63.186.11" if i go to facebook and on other occasions it doesn't say
anything at the bottom, only "Connecting ..." and a swirling icon on the tab
at the top.

i'm currently working through the steps given by PA Bear in this thread to
see if it solves the problem but no joy yet.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Remedy Malahide" <RemedyMalahide@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have used ad-aware from lavasoft to attempt to get rid of spyware but the
> > hanging problem still exists. The ip address is not undisclosed, i just wrote
> > it like that to not disclose it here. The problem is happening now. For
> > google it will say "Connecting to site 209.85.227.104" but never load.

> There doesn't seem to be an HTTP server there
>
> <telnet>
> Microsoft Telnet> o 209.85.227.104 80
> Connecting To 209.85.227.104...
> </telnet>
>

> So that doesn't look like a good lookup for www.google.com to me.
> Can you show us the nslookup that you get for that host name?
>

> Hmm... that's strange. The second time I tried it I did get redirected...
>
> <telnet subcommand="o 209.85.227.104 80" HTTP_request="GET /">
> HTTP/0.9 302 Found
> Location: http://www.google.ca/
> </telnet>
>
> So there is some kind of association there with Google.
>

> > The reason i mention a switch to firefox is that the problem never happens in
> > firefox.

> In the spyware hypothesis you wouldn't necessarily be going to the same
> IP address with both examples. E.g. the IP address that you are seeing
> might be an address that the spyware site is trying to redirect you to.
> You could try using Fiddler2 to see what is really happening in both cases
> as far as the HTTP goes, if both lookups are the same.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---
>

> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >

> >> "Remedy Malahide" <RemedyMalahide@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> You could get some ideas for yourself by searching the archive
> >> that you are using. ; }
> >>
> >> If all your Connecting... messages are really showing an (undisclosed)
> >> IP address then spyware is a likely cause.
> >>

> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---

> >> Since that isn't targeted by spyware?

Remedy Malahide

Re: Internet Explorer Hangs
1. Sorry, i don't know what Compatibility Mode is in internet explorer. When
i type it into ie8 help it helpfully tells me "No help topics found"

2. When i try this, the problem still persists, although instead of saying
"Connecting to ..." at the bottom it says "Waiting for
http://www.google.co.uk/..."

3. I reset all my settings. The problem went away for awhile. Then it came
back again.

4. Could you give me instructions on how to do this as i have no experience
on booting in safe mode so i don't mess something up on my p.c.

5a AVG anti-virus Free Version 8.5 and Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Anniversary
Edition. No 3rd party firewall. Nothing running in background when installing
ie8 as far as i know.

5b There is a Norton Security Scan on my machine. It pops up occasionally to
do a scan, tells me i have some tracking cookies and offers to delete them if
i pay money to upgrade which i always decline. I use the Lavasoft Ad-Aware to
kill tracking cookies. I have never had any McAfee software

thanks ...

ps "Notify me of replies" doesn't work for this newsgroup. I've ticked it
every time and haven't received a single email for any reply.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the page in Compatibility Mode?
>
> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Remedy Malahide wrote:
> > i sent this question orginally to microsoft help and support but they say
> > don't know the answer and have pointed me in the direction of a newsgroups
> > for help so here is the problem ...
> >
> > I have Windows XP Home and Internet Explorer 8.
> >
> > I am having problems with IE8 hanging since i installed ie8. When i open
> > the
> > browser for the first time, there are no problems and my home page loads
> > instantly. If i browse to any site within the same tab of the same browser
> > there is never a problem.
> >
> > However there are intermittent problems opening any new browser tabs or
> > browser instances. It is happening on a daily basis now. At first they
> > open
> > fine, but then after awhile I cannot open a new tab or instance of ie8, it
> > will just hang and say "Connecting to xxx.xx.xxx.xx" [ip address]. If i
> > then
> > paste the url that i am attempting to browse to into the original instance
> > of the browser, it works fine. If i try to open a new instance of Mozilla
> > Firefox when this problem occurs, it works fine in that browser so i know
> > it's not a connection problem.
> >
> > I have installed all critical Microsoft updates and i have disabled all
> > add-ons except Microsoft add-ons and Adobe Shockwave Flash.
> >
> > Please help ...
> >
> > thanks

Re: Internet Explorer Hangs
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

> 1. Sorry, i don't know what Compatibility Mode is in internet explorer.
> When
> i type it into ie8 help it helpfully tells me "No help topics found"

Hmm...I wonder if IE8 even installed successfully?

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...abid=1&catid=1

Select "Enhanced Navigation" in left pane.

> 5a AVG anti-virus Free Version 8.5 and Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Anniversary
> Edition. No 3rd party firewall. Nothing running in background when
> installing ie8 as far as i know.

Did you or did you not disable AVG Free v8.5 and Ad-Aware AE's Guard and
Ad-Watch prior to installing IE8?

> 5b There is a Norton Security Scan on my machine. It pops up occasionally
> do a scan, tells me i have some tracking cookies and offers to delete them
> if i pay money to upgrade which i always decline.

If you don't want to purchase/pay for it, why is it still installed?

If you disable AVG Free v8.5 and Ad-Aware AE's Guard and Ad-Watch and then
uninstall IE8, does the behavior persist in your previous IE version?

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

NB: Uninstalling IE8 automatically restores the previous IE version.

Last but not least, do you have an available restore point which predates
the install of IE8?