IE8 quit working

Jud McCranie

IE8 quit working
I have a laptop with Vista and IE8. (I also have a desktop with XP and
IE8.) IE8 quit working on the Vista machine. It says "connecting"
but then won't do anything. If I try to do anything with it, it says
"not responding" and I have to close it. I downloaded IE8 and
reinstalled it, but it has the same problem. How can I fix this?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Jud McCranie

Re: IE8 quit working
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:35:59 -0400, Jud McCranie
<youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a laptop with Vista and IE8. (I also have a desktop with XP and

Right now I'm trying uninstalling the IE8 update to see if that works.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Jud McCranie

Re: IE8 quit working
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:45:29 -0400, Jud McCranie
<youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote:

>Right now I'm trying uninstalling the IE8 update to see if that works.

That didn't work either.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 quit working
Hi,
Work through these steps. Check after each step.

1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
step 1)
For troubleshooting information see:

IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

3. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.

936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

4. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
solution.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jud McCranie" <youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with Vista and IE8. (I also have a desktop with XP and
> IE8.) IE8 quit working on the Vista machine. It says "connecting"
> but then won't do anything. If I try to do anything with it, it says
> "not responding" and I have to close it. I downloaded IE8 and
> reinstalled it, but it has the same problem. How can I fix this?
> - -
> Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie

Re: IE8 quit working
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:29:04 -0500, "Don Varnau"
<don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:

>Hi,
>Work through these steps. Check after each step.

Removing AVG security allows IE 8 to work again.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 quit working
Hi,
Please don't remove quoted, previous posts when you reply. Thanks.

Is AVG the antivirus program only or Internet Security (with firewall?)

If you're running AVG Internet Security (with firewall) it's possible that
AVG isn't allowing the "new" program, IE8, to connect to the internet and
hasn't asked you for your opinion. Check firewall settings to see if you can
allow IE8 to connect or uninstall/reinstall AVG.

More: 942818- Error message after you install a Windows IE7 update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

> Hi,
> Work through these steps. Check after each step.
>
> 1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons,

work
> through this article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> data:
> IE PassView- NirSoft:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
>
> What a reset of IE settings will do:
> Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

> 2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
> step 1)
> For troubleshooting information see:
>
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an

add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> Problem: Crashes or hangs
> http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>
> 3. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party

program
> as the cause.
>
> 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
> Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
>
> 4. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
> installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
> installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
> solution.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

> "Jud McCranie" <youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I have a laptop with Vista and IE8. (I also have a desktop with XP and
> > IE8.) IE8 quit working on the Vista machine. It says "connecting"
> > but then won't do anything. If I try to do anything with it, it says
> > "not responding" and I have to close it. I downloaded IE8 and
> > reinstalled it, but it has the same problem. How can I fix this?

Jud McCranie

Re: IE8 quit working
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 04:19:26 -0500, "Don Varnau"
<don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:

>Hi,
>Please don't remove quoted, previous posts when you reply. Thanks.

Sorry, I found the problem and I thought I'd cut down on bandwidth
use.

>Is AVG the antivirus program only or Internet Security (with firewall?)

Yes, but I had added it just a few days ago. Windows firewall was
off. I removed AVG, reinstalled IE, reinstalled AVG, and now it
works.

>If you're running AVG Internet Security (with firewall) it's possible that
>AVG isn't allowing the "new" program, IE8, to connect to the internet and
>hasn't asked you for your opinion.

That is probably what happened. I noticed that I had Firefox 3.0.05
and it was able to browse the Internet. However, it said "downloading
Firefox 3.0.10" and kept spinning. So it seemed to be able to browse
but not connect to update. After I removed and reinstalled AVG it
worked too.

> [...]

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
>>
>> 4. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
>> installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
>> installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
>> solution.
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]

>> "Jud McCranie" <youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > I have a laptop with Vista and IE8. (I also have a desktop with XP and
>> > IE8.) IE8 quit working on the Vista machine. It says "connecting"
>> > but then won't do anything. If I try to do anything with it, it says
>> > "not responding" and I have to close it. I downloaded IE8 and
>> > reinstalled it, but it has the same problem. How can I fix this?

Glad you got the issue resolved. Thanks for the update.

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 04:19:26 -0500, "Don Varnau"
> <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >Please don't remove quoted, previous posts when you reply. Thanks.

> Sorry, I found the problem and I thought I'd cut down on bandwidth
> use.
> >
> >Is AVG the antivirus program only or Internet Security (with firewall?)

> Yes, but I had added it just a few days ago. Windows firewall was
> off. I removed AVG, reinstalled IE, reinstalled AVG, and now it
> works.
>
> >If you're running AVG Internet Security (with firewall) it's possible

that
> >AVG isn't allowing the "new" program, IE8, to connect to the internet and
> >hasn't asked you for your opinion.

> That is probably what happened. I noticed that I had Firefox 3.0.05
> and it was able to browse the Internet. However, it said "downloading
> Firefox 3.0.10" and kept spinning. So it seemed to be able to browse
> but not connect to update. After I removed and reinstalled AVG it
> worked too.
>
> > Check firewall settings to see if you can
> >allow IE8 to connect or uninstall/reinstall AVG.
> >
> >More: 942818- Error message after you install a Windows IE7 update:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

> >"Jud McCranie" <youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >news:ak5iv450onphg6uv8qer8d0p2fika3m2r0@4ax.com.. .

> >> Removing AVG security allows IE 8 to work again.
> >>
> >> Replace you know what by j to email

> >"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> Work through these steps. Check after each step.
> >>
> >> 1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> >> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons,

> >work
> >> through this article:
> >> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us
> >>
> >> Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored

login
> >> data:
> >> IE PassView- NirSoft:
> >> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
> >>
> >> What a reset of IE settings will do:
> >> Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> >>

>http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...2460-459e-b826

-8f134a7fe1771033.mspx