Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explorer 8?

Gordon

Re: Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explore

"Essexbiker" <Essexbiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I thought the query was about the orange star (Favorites Sidebar) tab at
> the
> far left of the IE8 toolbar? I have tried unlocking the toolbars but I
> cannot
> move this tab at all. You can't even move the Favorites Bar in IE8 (old
> IE7
> LINKS bar) to another line on the toolbar! How annoying is that?

Then use a different browser.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explore

"Essexbiker" <Essexbiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C180CC7-04EE-403D-8484-A81ECAF99F05@microsoft.com...
>I thought the query was about the orange star (Favorites Sidebar) tab at the
> far left of the IE8 toolbar? I have tried unlocking the toolbars but I cannot
> move this tab at all.

I just dragged it down beside the first tab,
thus reproducing the OP's problem case.
As Kai indicated normally I have had it up on the same row
as the Favorites Bar (aka Links bar).

> You can't even move the Favorites Bar in IE8 (old IE7
> LINKS bar) to another line on the toolbar!

I can. I just put it on the same line as the tabs
with the Add to Favorites Bar button far off on the right.
I suspect moving them anywhere else will depend on
what other toolbars I would have and how flexible
they were in their positioning

> How annoying is that?

They certainly wouldn't be very useful on the tab row... ; }

BTW this thread is still archived on the web interface
but has been flushed from the MSNews NNTP servers.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4-caf004c17e1f

canuckken is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explore
There is an easy way to get rid of that wasted space with a simple registry entry. That Favorites Button and blue bar was driving me nuts.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

In My case I had to create a new key entry tiled "Toolbars" and under that "Restrictions". Once you have those just click on Restrictions and create new dword which will look like this "NoCommandBar"=dword:00000001" without the quotes.
This has worked for me but I am not responsible if you screw things up. I have attached the screenshots so you can see for yourself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sceen shot of my IE 8.jpg (64.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Registry Hack.jpg (55.3 KB, 40 views)
Essexbiker

Re: Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explore
Why do some people feel the need to insult the intelligence of others by
making crass remarks like "Then use another browser"? Forgive me if I am
mistaken but I was under the impression that this was a general discussion
about IE, where users were free to say what they liked or disliked about it?

But for Gordon's information, I decided to reinstall IE7 on my Vista
partition because IE8 interfered with the way some of my programs worked with
it and I couldn't be bothered to spend hours scouring the internet for a
solution! However I am using IE8 on my Windows 7 RC partition and see no
point in changing it on a trial instalment! However, when I ditch Vista
completely and install the retail version of Windows 7 when it is released in
the UK in October, I will see how IE8 performs with my exisiting programs and
only then will I be able to make the decision to either keep IE8, go back to
IE7 - or use another browser! I do hope that meets with your approval? LOL.

--
HP Pavillion system model FR612AA-ABU a6632uk. AMD Phenom(tm) 8550
Triple-Core Processor. 3gb RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS graphics card. Vista

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Essexbiker" <Essexbiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I thought the query was about the orange star (Favorites Sidebar) tab at
> > the
> > far left of the IE8 toolbar? I have tried unlocking the toolbars but I
> > cannot
> > move this tab at all. You can't even move the Favorites Bar in IE8 (old
> > IE7
> > LINKS bar) to another line on the toolbar! How annoying is that?

> Then use a different browser.

Doug W.

> Why do some people feel the need to insult the intelligence of
> others by
> making crass remarks like "Then use another browser"? Forgive
> me if I am
> mistaken but I was under the impression that this was a
> general discussion
> about IE, where users were free to say what they liked or
> disliked about it?
>
> But for Gordon's information, I decided to reinstall IE7 on my
> Vista
> partition because IE8 interfered with the way some of my
> programs worked with
> it and I couldn't be bothered to spend hours scouring the
> internet for a
> solution! However I am using IE8 on my Windows 7 RC partition
> and see no
> point in changing it on a trial instalment! However, when I
> ditch Vista
> completely and install the retail version of Windows 7 when it
> is released in
> the UK in October, I will see how IE8 performs with my
> exisiting programs and
> only then will I be able to make the decision to either keep
> IE8, go back to
> IE7 - or use another browser! I do hope that meets with your
> approval? LOL.
>
> --
> HP Pavillion system model FR612AA-ABU a6632uk. AMD Phenom(tm)
> 8550
> Triple-Core Processor. 3gb RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS
> graphics card. Vista
> Home Premium SP2.
>

> "Gordon" wrote:
>

>> "Essexbiker" <Essexbiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I thought the query was about the orange star (Favorites
>> > Sidebar) tab at
>> > the
>> > far left of the IE8 toolbar? I have tried unlocking the
>> > toolbars but I
>> > cannot
>> > move this tab at all. You can't even move the Favorites Bar
>> > in IE8 (old
>> > IE7
>> > LINKS bar) to another line on the toolbar! How annoying is
>> > that?

>> Then use a different browser.

==
"Then use a different browser."

Seems to be the stock answer when WE question any aspect of IE8
that is irksome. I don't like the way IE8 handles "Favorites"
and have reverted to IE6 or Avant. IE7 pissed me off too with
some of its features.

Perhaps WE should get in on the Apha and Beta testing if WE want
to head off some of these things that irk us as once the
distribution starts, it is too late.

==

canuckken is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explore
It is unfortunate that some of you are having a bad experience with Internet Explorer 8. I am not pro Internet Explorer any version and use Firefox most of the time. Having said that I hated Internet Explorer 8 until I made some tweaks and now I have no major issues with it. Yes you have to spend a little time to get it where you like it but once the changes are made it is OK, not great but OK.
If you look at my sscreen shot you will notice that it is far different than the default browser with no wasted space even with google toolbar. If you like a different version than good for you but I am ok with 8 now.

Eyenza is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckken View Post
There is an easy way to get rid of that wasted space with a simple registry entry. That Favorites Button and blue bar was driving me nuts.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

In My case I had to create a new key entry tiled "Toolbars" and under that "Restrictions". Once you have those just click on Restrictions and create new dword which will look like this "NoCommandBar"=dword:00000001" without the quotes.
This has worked for me but I am not responsible if you screw things up. I have attached the screenshots so you can see for yourself

This is an old thread but I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post your solution. The fix worked for me, but only after I also created the same values in HKEY_Local_Machine. This is on a Windows XP machine with IE8 that had all the options to disable the favorites button / pane greyed out. Now all that's left is a small divider from where the button use to be (and I can live with that).

I don't know why anyone would ever want that button to begin with. It's such a waste of tab space. And google search shows that I'm not the only one who hates it that's for sure.

TryMaxthon2WebBrowser is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Remove or Disable The Favorites Button In IE8 Internet Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexbiker View Post

"Kai Schaetzl" wrote:

> Neutrino42 schrieb am Fri, 1 May 2009 23:05:55 +0100:
>
> > How can you move the button? Even with the Toolbar unlocked, the button
> > won't move anywhere unless there is some trick to getting it to move.

> You can move it up to the next band (Favorites Bar).
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: Welcome to the MVPs.org home page!
> IE repair script: Internet Explorer FAQ

Whoever keeps responding to this post with moving the favorite button to the favorite bar is not understanding the problem. I think I understand EssexBiker is wanting to do. Quote from eHow.com "if you disable tabbed browsing and hide the "Command" bar, the "Favorites" button sits all by itself on an empty toolbar" So regardless of moving the button up to the favorites bar, if you disable all toolbars, and deselect use tab browsing in Explorer options your left with the Favorites button all by itself on it's own toolbar (design flaw). To read how to hack and remove this read this article How to Delete the Favorites Button in IE 8 | eHow.com