Internet Explorer 7 registry keys are not installed

Chandu

Internet Explorer 7 registry keys are not installed
I installed IE7 package on a machine but HKLM\Software\Internet Explorer\*
registry keys shows 6.0 version and none of the registry keys are upgraded to
IE7 keys. They still how IE6 keys though the files c:\prog~1\Internet
Explorer\ are showing properly. I am able to open IE7 but it is giving module
missing error message. Tools -> Internet options -> advanced tab is blank.

I verified IE7.log and IE7_main.log and there are no errors/warnings/access
denied messages in the log files. Event log shows that Internet Explorer7 is
installed successfully. Installation logs shows every thing normal. I
verified permissions on hklm\software\Internet Explorer registry key and they
all fine.

What could be the issue?

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer 7 registry keys are not installed
Regardless of what the registry says, are you having a problem with
Internet Explorer 7? If so, please describe it in detail(including your
version of Windows) and someone will try to help you.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Chandu wrote:
> I installed IE7 package on a machine but HKLM\Software\Internet Explorer\*
> registry keys shows 6.0 version and none of the registry keys are upgraded to
> IE7 keys. They still how IE6 keys though the files c:\prog~1\Internet
> Explorer\ are showing properly. I am able to open IE7 but it is giving module
> missing error message. Tools -> Internet options -> advanced tab is blank.
>
> I verified IE7.log and IE7_main.log and there are no errors/warnings/access
> denied messages in the log files. Event log shows that Internet Explorer7 is
> installed successfully. Installation logs shows every thing normal. I
> verified permissions on hklm\software\Internet Explorer registry key and they
> all fine.
>
> What could be the issue?

Kai Schaetzl

Chandu schrieb am Wed, 29 Apr 2009 05:40:01 -0700:

> I installed IE7 package on a machine but HKLM\Software\Internet Explorer\*
> registry keys shows 6.0 version and none of the registry keys are upgraded to
> IE7 keys.

In addition to Leonard's posting: give exact details please (full path and value
for a registry entry that should have changed).

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Chandu

Re: Internet Explorer 7 registry keys are not installed
Thanks for the response.

Symptoms:
-Under tools menu, Phishing filter, Manage add-ons, RSS feeds are missing
-Under tools -> Internet options -> Advanced tab shows blank. This is
because of registry keys HKLM\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions are
missing.

-Browsing web sites is giving "module missing" error message
-I compared reg keys HKLM\Microsoft\Internet Explorer with the working
machine and found that most of the registry keys are not installed in
problematic machine

Fix: Reinstalling IE7 MSI fixing the issue. But the issue is appearing of
bunch of machines and we still have to deploy IE7 to 500+ systems so
reinstalling IE7 after observing the problem is quite annoying for users.

We need to the root cause for this issue so that I can include the fix in
IE7 package and deploy to remaining machines.

"Kai Schaetzl" wrote:

> Chandu schrieb am Wed, 29 Apr 2009 05:40:01 -0700:
>
> > I installed IE7 package on a machine but HKLM\Software\Internet Explorer\*
> > registry keys shows 6.0 version and none of the registry keys are upgraded to
> > IE7 keys.

> In addition to Leonard's posting: give exact details please (full path and value
> for a registry entry that should have changed).
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer 7 registry keys are not installed
Based on the experience of this newsgroup, the most likely cause for the
problems you are experiencing is that Internet Explorer did not install
correctly. There could be many reasons for this; one commonly reported
reason is that some element of security software prevented the registry
from being updated.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Chandu schrieb am Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:43:01 -0700:

> Symptoms:
> -Under tools menu, Phishing filter, Manage add-ons, RSS feeds are missing
> -Under tools -> Internet options -> Advanced tab shows blank. This is
> because of registry keys HKLM\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions are
> missing.

Ah, ok, good.

> -Browsing web sites is giving "module missing" error message
> -I compared reg keys HKLM\Microsoft\Internet Explorer with the working
> machine and found that most of the registry keys are not installed in
> problematic machine
>
> Fix: Reinstalling IE7 MSI fixing the issue. But the issue is appearing of
> bunch of machines and we still have to deploy IE7 to 500+ systems so
> reinstalling IE7 after observing the problem is quite annoying for users.
>
> We need to the root cause for this issue so that I can include the fix in
> IE7 package and deploy to remaining machines.

Well, there are two or three things that come to mind:
1. if I understand correctly you are using IEAK to create your own instalaltion
package. Something might be wrong with it. Download the "original" and check if
the problem happens with it as well.
2. missing static permissions for some registry areas (have a look at the two
ie7*.log files in the Windows directory)
3. (as Leonard says) a security program actively prohibiting IE to write to the
registry or carrying out the post-reboot actions

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Chandu

Re: Internet Explorer 7 registry keys are not installed
> Well, there are two or three things that come to mind:
> 1. if I understand correctly you are using IEAK to create your own instalaltion
> package. Something might be wrong with it. Download the "original" and check if
> the problem happens with it as well.

I forgot to add a point earlier. This issue is coming on only on few
machines, say 15% of the total deployed machines. I am sure there are no
common IE add-ins and softwares installed on failed machines.

> 2. missing static permissions for some registry areas (have a look at the two
> ie7*.log files in the Windows directory)

I compared IE7* log files with working machine and there is no difference.

> 3. (as Leonard says) a security program actively prohibiting IE to write to the
> registry or carrying out the post-reboot actions

This may be possible. I verfied Antivirus logs and desktop firewall logs and
I did not find any installation blocking information. Do you think of any
other program blocked the installation.

-Chandu