Cookies and secure site

Jeff Layman

Cookies and secure site
XPH SP3 IE7

Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.

I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It requires
cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have this site in my
"Trusted sites" zone.

Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it again
in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy level),
but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced" the box "Do
not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.

No problems using Opera to access the site.

Any ideas?

TIA

--
Jeff

Re: Cookies and secure site
IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in

<Domain Name> (e.g., hotmail.com)

and Allow cookies.

I suggest disabling any third-party firewall until cookies are working
correctly. If you do so, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall.

Make certain that your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.

Managing Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies

Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331

Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175662

Troubleshooting Secure Sites
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites

Jeff Layman wrote:
> XPH SP3 IE7
>
> Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.
>
> I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It requires
> cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have this site in
> my
> "Trusted sites" zone.
>
> Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
> cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it
> again
> in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
> activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy level),
> but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced" the box "Do
> not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
>
> No problems using Opera to access the site.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Kiwi Harry

Re: Cookies and secure site
Hi Jeff.

I too have been having trouble with a "Cookies Not Enabled" error when
trying to sign into an https website.

Just to let you know that I followed some of the steps outlined in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444 (as per PA Bears list) and found it
resolved my issue. I followed methods 2, 3, 7 & 4.

Hope it helps you.

Regards
Harry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in
>
> <Domain Name> (e.g., hotmail.com)
>
> and Allow cookies.
>
> I suggest disabling any third-party firewall until cookies are working
> correctly. If you do so, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall.
>
> Make certain that your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.
>
> Managing Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
>
> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>
> Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175662
>
> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Jeff Layman wrote:
> > XPH SP3 IE7
> >
> > Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.
> >
> > I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It requires
> > cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have this site in
> > my
> > "Trusted sites" zone.
> >
> > Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
> > cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it
> > again
> > in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
> > activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy level),
> > but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced" the box "Do
> > not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
> >
> > No problems using Opera to access the site.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > TIA

Re: Cookies and secure site
OT: Harry, did you use any of the Fix It's? If so, what do you think of
this new feature?

Microsoft Fix it Solution Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_fixit_main#tab0

Kiwi Harry wrote:
> Hi Jeff.
>
> I too have been having trouble with a "Cookies Not Enabled" error when
> trying to sign into an https website.
>
> Just to let you know that I followed some of the steps outlined in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444 (as per PA Bears list) and found it
> resolved my issue. I followed methods 2, 3, 7 & 4.
>
> Hope it helps you.
>
> Regards
> Harry
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in
>>
>> <Domain Name> (e.g., hotmail.com)
>>
>> and Allow cookies.
>>
>> I suggest disabling any third-party firewall until cookies are working
>> correctly. If you do so, make certain that you enable the Windows
>> Firewall.
>>
>> Make certain that your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all
>> correct.
>>
>> Managing Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
>>
>> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>>
>> Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175662
>>
>> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> XPH SP3 IE7
>>>
>>> Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.
>>>
>>> I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It
>>> requires
>>> cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have this site
>>> in
>>> my
>>> "Trusted sites" zone.
>>>
>>> Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
>>> cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it
>>> again
>>> in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
>>> activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy
>>> level),
>>> but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced" the box
>>> "Do
>>> not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
>>>
>>> No problems using Opera to access the site.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> TIA

Jeff Layman

Re: Cookies and secure site
Hi Harry.

Thanks for the link. Tried the same things as you but with no success.
Even tried turning off the add-ons. I've only tried one https site; maybe
I'll try another. In the meantime, as Opera works ok, I'll use that.

Did you identify what was causing your problem?

--
Jeff

Kiwi Harry wrote:
> Hi Jeff.
>
> I too have been having trouble with a "Cookies Not Enabled" error when
> trying to sign into an https website.
>
> Just to let you know that I followed some of the steps outlined in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444 (as per PA Bears list) and found it
> resolved my issue. I followed methods 2, 3, 7 & 4.
>
> Hope it helps you.
>
> Regards
> Harry
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in
>>
>> <Domain Name> (e.g., hotmail.com)
>>
>> and Allow cookies.
>>
>> I suggest disabling any third-party firewall until cookies are working
>> correctly. If you do so, make certain that you enable the Windows
>> Firewall.
>>
>> Make certain that your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all
>> correct.
>>
>> Managing Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
>>
>> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>>
>> Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175662
>>
>> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> XPH SP3 IE7
>>>
>>> Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.
>>>
>>> I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It
>>> requires cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have
>>> this site in my
>>> "Trusted sites" zone.
>>>
>>> Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
>>> cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it
>>> again
>>> in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
>>> activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy
>>> level), but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced"
>>> the box "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
>>>
>>> No problems using Opera to access the site.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> TIA

Jeff Layman

Re: Cookies and secure site
Thanks,

I've tried some of these with no success. I'll work my way through all of
them in time. BTW, the mvps.org link returns "not found".

If all else fails, I may try reinstalling and uninstalling IE8.

--
Jeff

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in
>
> <Domain Name> (e.g., hotmail.com)
>
> and Allow cookies.
>
> I suggest disabling any third-party firewall until cookies are working
> correctly. If you do so, make certain that you enable the Windows
> Firewall.
> Make certain that your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all
> correct.
> Managing Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
>
> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>
> Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175662
>
> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
>
> Jeff Layman wrote:
>> XPH SP3 IE7
>>
>> Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.
>>
>> I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It requires
>> cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have this site in
>> my
>> "Trusted sites" zone.
>>
>> Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
>> cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it
>> again
>> in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
>> activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy
>> level), but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced"
>> the box "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
>>
>> No problems using Opera to access the site.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> TIA

Re: Cookies and secure site
> BTW, the mvps.org link returns "not found".

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies is working fine for
me right now.

> If all else fails, I may try reinstalling and uninstalling IE8

I wouldn't do that just yet IIWY.

in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled IE8?

Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Jeff Layman wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I've tried some of these with no success. I'll work my way through all of
> them in time. BTW, the mvps.org link returns "not found".
>
> If all else fails, I may try reinstalling and uninstalling IE8.
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in
>>
>> <Domain Name> (e.g., hotmail.com)
>>
>> and Allow cookies.
>>
>> I suggest disabling any third-party firewall until cookies are working
>> correctly. If you do so, make certain that you enable the Windows
>> Firewall.
>> Make certain that your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all
>> correct.
>> Managing Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
>>
>> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>>
>> Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175662
>>
>> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
>>
>> Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> XPH SP3 IE7
>>>
>>> Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.
>>>
>>> I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It
>>> requires
>>> cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have this site
>>> in
>>> my
>>> "Trusted sites" zone.
>>>
>>> Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
>>> cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it
>>> again
>>> in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
>>> activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy
>>> level), but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced"
>>> the box "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
>>>
>>> No problems using Opera to access the site.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> TIA

Kiwi Harry

Re: Cookies and secure site
Hi Jeff.

No I didn't identify what originaly caused my issue.

Hopefully you will resolve it.

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread with OT stuff, but PA Bear - Yes I
did use the Fix It for resetting the dll's. Thought it was a great tool.
Definately a lot faster than trying to do things manually.

Thanks

Harry
"Jeff Layman" wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I've tried some of these with no success. I'll work my way through all of
> them in time. BTW, the mvps.org link returns "not found".
>
> If all else fails, I may try reinstalling and uninstalling IE8.
>
> --
> Jeff
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in
> >
> > <Domain Name> (e.g., hotmail.com)
> >
> > and Allow cookies.
> >
> > I suggest disabling any third-party firewall until cookies are working
> > correctly. If you do so, make certain that you enable the Windows
> > Firewall.
> > Make certain that your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all
> > correct.
> > Managing Cookies
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
> >
> > Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
> >
> > Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175662
> >
> > Troubleshooting Secure Sites
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
> >
> > Jeff Layman wrote:
> >> XPH SP3 IE7
> >>
> >> Since returning to IE7 from IE8, I can no longer access an https site.
> >>
> >> I have used this site for a couple of years without problem. It requires
> >> cookies for access, and although I block all cookies, I have this site in
> >> my
> >> "Trusted sites" zone.
> >>
> >> Now when trying to access it, it keeps telling me I need to activate
> >> cookies. I deleted the site from the trusted sites zone, and added it
> >> again
> >> in case it had got corrupted in some way, but still got the message to
> >> activate cookies. I tried allowing all cookies (ie lowest privacy
> >> level), but still get the message to activate cookies. In "Advanced"
> >> the box "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
> >>
> >> No problems using Opera to access the site.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> TIA

Kai Schaetzl

Re: Cookies and secure site
I suppose it would be helpful if you told the URL ...

> BTW, the mvps.org link returns "not found".

That suggests that you have more problems on that PC. Uninstall your
security programs for a while and check if that helps.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Jeff Layman

Re: Cookies and secure site
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> BTW, the mvps.org link returns "not found".

> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies is working fine
> for me right now.

Working fine for me now, too. I'll try the suggestions.

>> If all else fails, I may try reinstalling and uninstalling IE8

> I wouldn't do that just yet IIWY.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
> uninstalled IE8?

I have Norton 2009 and it is current and up-to-date. I haven't run any
anti-spyware applications for at least a couple of years. I used to run
Spybot and Adaware (and even Defender for about 6 months) but as I think I
practice safe hex, I only ever got false positives, and they were very few.
I downloaded IE8 as IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, disconnected the PC from the
internet, and turned off the Norton firewall until the installation was
complete.

See above.

> Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Yes - surprisingly (I thought I had turned off System Restore! Probably
turned itself back on when I installed SP3). I use Acronis TrueImage, as my
only experience trying to use Systetm Restore did not end well. So I'll
make a disk image first, before I try SR.

Thanks

--
Jeff