"Add to Favorites Bar" button in IE8

Opinicus

"Add to Favorites Bar" button in IE8

I've installed IE8 and for the most part like it. But the new behavior of
the "Add to Favorites Bar" button makes the button unwanted. (It puts a link
to the site you add at the beginning of the "Favorites Bar" (formerly known
as "Links Bar".)

I will decide where I put the links, thank you.

How do I get rid of this button?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

rob^_^

Re: "Add to Favorites Bar" button in IE8
Hi Bob,

Unfortunately I don't think there is a setting to hide this button (as far
as I know).

Here is what I did.

I went to your site and pressed the button and your site icon and link was
added to the "Favorites bar" as you described. (I was surprised too... I was
expecting the same behavior as the Favorites>Add to Favorites menu.) Ok,
fair enough, it IS the Add to Favorites Bar button, not the Add to Favorites
button, but I agree with you, I would expect to be offered where on the
Favorites bar (in a sub-folder) I wanted the link saved to.

Here is a quick workaround. (Its just hard to describe in words).

Select the newly created link on the Favorites bar, right click on it to
display the context menu and select "Cut".

Open the Favorites Center (by clicking the Favorites Center button or the
Ctrl+Shift+I keyboard shortcut). Scroll down the Favorites Center list of
folders and select the folder or sub-folder where you want to save the link.
Right click again and select "Paste" (you will see the link move from the
Favorites Bar to your selected Favorites Folder). Done...

Actually you may find that this method is actually better/faster than the
Favorites>Add to Favorites menu sequence, as you don't have to scroll
through a long list of Favorites Folders in a drop down list (many users
have complained of this).

I have a wide screen monitor, and usually keep the Favorites Center
(Displaying the History pane of sites visited today), pinned to the side of
the browser window. So it is easy to select the Favorites tab and quickly
paste the cut link to the folder I want it in. I have 100's of Favorites
folders, so this method is way faster than the new Add to Favorites
drop-down selection list in IE8.

I suppose it makes sense to be able to quickly save links to the Favorites
bar. Because they remain in immediate view, you can quickly access them
again. viz within the scope of what you are currently doing with the browser
(current process flow). After your attention span has finished with the task
at hand, you can then choose to move (or delete) those links that were added
to the Favorites bar in the sub-folder of your choice for later reference.

Like the latest car model... it takes a while before you feel comfortable
driving it.

I like your cartoon...."In the internet nobody knows you’re a dog".... I
have two budgies. Crowded cites are not the place to keep a dog, but I would
love to have one again. Oh I just saw the second cartoon. You're not a dog
are you? I had a really good laugh when I saw the second toon.

(everyone have a look at the toons here. http://www.kanyak.com/famous.html

....still laughing....

Regards.

"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.invalid> wrote in message
news:_sWdnZqGddChiWnUnZ2dnUVZ8hOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> I've installed IE8 and for the most part like it. But the new behavior of
> the "Add to Favorites Bar" button makes the button unwanted. (It puts a
> link to the site you add at the beginning of the "Favorites Bar" (formerly
> known as "Links Bar".)
>
> I will decide where I put the links, thank you.
>
> How do I get rid of this button?
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

Re: "Add to Favorites Bar" button in IE8
Customizing IE8
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-in-ie8.aspx