Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites

hepme

Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
I recently installed IE8 and quickly decided to go back to IE7. Now,
everything in IE7, including Favorites, works as it should except for
Organize Favorites. When I open it, the list does not populate but appears as
a small red x. If I click on any of the buttons (New Folder, Move, Rename,
Delete), a message appears:

An error has occurred in this dialog:

Error: (2-digit number; varies with which button is clicked)
Object doesn't support this property or method

Any ideas?

Don Varnau

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Hi,
See: Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X" mark
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed IE8 and quickly decided to go back to IE7. Now,
> everything in IE7, including Favorites, works as it should except for
> Organize Favorites. When I open it, the list does not populate but appears

as
> a small red x. If I click on any of the buttons (New Folder, Move, Rename,
> Delete), a message appears:
>

> An error has occurred in this dialog:
>
> Error: (2-digit number; varies with which button is clicked)
> Object doesn't support this property or method
>

> Any ideas?

hepme

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Don,

The unzipped file opened as a REG file. I ran it; the message appeared that
the information had been successfully entered into the registry.

When I opened Organize Favorites, the population was still a red x. After I
rebooted, it still is the same.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> See: Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X" mark
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently installed IE8 and quickly decided to go back to IE7. Now,
> > everything in IE7, including Favorites, works as it should except for
> > Organize Favorites. When I open it, the list does not populate but appears

> as
> > a small red x. If I click on any of the buttons (New Folder, Move, Rename,
> > Delete), a message appears:
> >

> > An error has occurred in this dialog:
> >
> > Error: (2-digit number; varies with which button is clicked)
> > Object doesn't support this property or method
> >

> > Any ideas?

Don Varnau

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Hi,
How about
[quote]
Step 2
If you've accidentally disabled the Shell Name Space add-on using the Manage
Add-ons dialog in Windows XP SP2, re-enable the add-on. (See image). Here is
the add-on description.
[end quote]
at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm

> Don,
>
> The unzipped file opened as a REG file. I ran it; the message appeared

that
> the information had been successfully entered into the registry.
>
> When I opened Organize Favorites, the population was still a red x. After

> rebooted, it still is the same.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > See: Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X"

mark
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
> >

> > "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I recently installed IE8 and quickly decided to go back to IE7. Now,
> > > everything in IE7, including Favorites, works as it should except for
> > > Organize Favorites. When I open it, the list does not populate but

appears
> > as
> > > a small red x. If I click on any of the buttons (New Folder, Move,

Rename,
> > > Delete), a message appears:
> > >
> > > An error has occurred in this dialog:
> > >
> > > Error: (2-digit number; varies with which button is clicked)
> > > Object doesn't support this property or method
> > >
> > > Any ideas?

ju.c

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Try this:

If the Favorites folder has the "system" attribute set it
won't appear in the Organize Favorites window.

Copy the string below (no word-wrap! only one line!) and
paste it into the Run box:

%WinDir%\system32\attrib.exe -S -H %UserProfile%\Favorites /S /D

ju.c

"hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A730409-153B-422A-8EBB-1A2ACC7DD4C1@microsoft.com...
> I recently installed IE8 and quickly decided to go back to IE7. Now,
> everything in IE7, including Favorites, works as it should except for
> Organize Favorites. When I open it, the list does not populate but appears as
> a small red x. If I click on any of the buttons (New Folder, Move, Rename,
> Delete), a message appears:
>

> An error has occurred in this dialog:
>
> Error: (2-digit number; varies with which button is clicked)
> Object doesn't support this property or method
>

> Any ideas?

hepme

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Hi,
I tried the Manage Add-Ons and found that neither Shell Name Space nor
shdocvw.dll are there. Does it matter that I have Windows XP SP3?

I looked up shdocvw.dll in the Knowledge Base and found an article that
suggested using "Repair" for IE in Add/Remove Programs; I found that neither
Repair nor Remove are available, only a link to Microsoft Support.

ju.c has suggested a string to run, but I really don't want to mess with the
registry (or whatever directory the string might affect) without being really
sure.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> How about
> [quote]
> Step 2
> If you've accidentally disabled the Shell Name Space add-on using the Manage
> Add-ons dialog in Windows XP SP2, re-enable the add-on. (See image). Here is
> the add-on description.
> [end quote]
> at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Don,
> >
> > The unzipped file opened as a REG file. I ran it; the message appeared

> that
> > the information had been successfully entered into the registry.
> >
> > When I opened Organize Favorites, the population was still a red x. After

> > rebooted, it still is the same.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > See: Organize Favorites dialog in Internet Explorer displays a "Red X"

> mark
> > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
> > >

> > > "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> appears
> > > as

> Rename,

Don Varnau

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Hi,
[XP SP3] Is your Favorites folder in the default location - Local
Disk\Documents and Settings\account name\Favorites? If it is then try ju.c's
command line.

> Hi,
> I tried the Manage Add-Ons and found that neither Shell Name Space nor
> shdocvw.dll are there. Does it matter that I have Windows XP SP3?
>
> I looked up shdocvw.dll in the Knowledge Base and found an article that
> suggested using "Repair" for IE in Add/Remove Programs; I found that

neither
> Repair nor Remove are available, only a link to Microsoft Support.
>
> ju.c has suggested a string to run, but I really don't want to mess with

the
> registry (or whatever directory the string might affect) without being

really
> sure.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > How about
> > [quote]
> > Step 2
> > If you've accidentally disabled the Shell Name Space add-on using the

Manage
> > Add-ons dialog in Windows XP SP2, re-enable the add-on. (See image).

Here is
> > the add-on description.
> > [end quote]
> > at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
> >
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Don,
> > >
> > > The unzipped file opened as a REG file. I ran it; the message appeared

> > that
> > > the information had been successfully entered into the registry.
> > >
> > > When I opened Organize Favorites, the population was still a red x.

After
> > > rebooted, it still is the same.

X"
> > mark

Now,

for

> > appears

> > Rename,

hepme

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Hi,
Yes, the Favorites folder is in its default location, but no, ju.c's command
line does not appear to have made any change.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> [XP SP3] Is your Favorites folder in the default location - Local
> Disk\Documents and Settings\account name\Favorites? If it is then try ju.c's
> command line.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I tried the Manage Add-Ons and found that neither Shell Name Space nor
> > shdocvw.dll are there. Does it matter that I have Windows XP SP3?
> >
> > I looked up shdocvw.dll in the Knowledge Base and found an article that
> > suggested using "Repair" for IE in Add/Remove Programs; I found that

> neither
> > Repair nor Remove are available, only a link to Microsoft Support.
> >
> > ju.c has suggested a string to run, but I really don't want to mess with

> the
> > registry (or whatever directory the string might affect) without being

> really
> > sure.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > How about
> > > [quote]
> > > Step 2
> > > If you've accidentally disabled the Shell Name Space add-on using the

> Manage
> > > Add-ons dialog in Windows XP SP2, re-enable the add-on. (See image).

> Here is
> > > the add-on description.
> > > [end quote]
> > > at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
> > >
> > > Don
> > > [MS MVP- IE]

> > > "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > that

> After

> X"
> > > mark

> Now,

> for
> > > appears
> > > Rename,

hepme

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Thank you, Don and ju.c, for your input. A solution turned up in the
Knowledge Base, after all.

Article ID: 950719 - You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet
Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

plus Article ID: 950249 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your
computer

state that the behavior is purposeful and that it can be worked around by
removing SP3 before removing IE7 or 8. My Organize Favorites now works
properly. Again, thank you.

Lee

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> [XP SP3] Is your Favorites folder in the default location - Local
> Disk\Documents and Settings\account name\Favorites? If it is then try ju.c's
> command line.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I tried the Manage Add-Ons and found that neither Shell Name Space nor
> > shdocvw.dll are there. Does it matter that I have Windows XP SP3?
> >
> > I looked up shdocvw.dll in the Knowledge Base and found an article that
> > suggested using "Repair" for IE in Add/Remove Programs; I found that

> neither
> > Repair nor Remove are available, only a link to Microsoft Support.
> >
> > ju.c has suggested a string to run, but I really don't want to mess with

> the
> > registry (or whatever directory the string might affect) without being

> really
> > sure.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > How about
> > > [quote]
> > > Step 2
> > > If you've accidentally disabled the Shell Name Space add-on using the

> Manage
> > > Add-ons dialog in Windows XP SP2, re-enable the add-on. (See image).

> Here is
> > > the add-on description.
> > > [end quote]
> > > at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
> > >
> > > Don
> > > [MS MVP- IE]

> > > "hepme" <hepme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > that

> After

> X"
> > > mark

> Now,

> for
> > > appears
> > > Rename,

Don Varnau

Re: Error messages IE7 Organize Favorites
Hi,
Sorry for the delay. Glad that you resolved the problem. Thanks for the
update.