Saving Cookies

JamesJ

Saving Cookies
Is there away in Internet Explorer 7 to save cookies from being deleted?

Thanks,
James
Leonard Grey

Re: Saving Cookies
Internet Explorer does not delete cookies. You must do this manually.
However, your security software can automatically delete some or all
cookies, if it is configured to do so.

The only automatic action Internet Explorer performs on cookies is
whether to accept them or not. You can configure this in Tools >
Internet Options > Privacy tab.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JamesJ wrote:
> Is there away in Internet Explorer 7 to save cookies from being deleted?
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Re: Saving Cookies
Yes. I realize I must initiate the deletions. I was wondering if
there was an easy way to choose which ones I want to keep.

James

> Internet Explorer does not delete cookies. You must do this manually.
> However, your security software can automatically delete some or all
> cookies, if it is configured to do so.
>
> The only automatic action Internet Explorer performs on cookies is whether
> to accept them or not. You can configure this in Tools > Internet Options
> > Privacy tab.

> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> JamesJ wrote:
>> Is there away in Internet Explorer 7 to save cookies from being deleted?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

Leonard Grey

Re: Saving Cookies
In addition to the millions of cookie-management utilities available on
the internet, you can go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JamesJ wrote:
> Yes. I realize I must initiate the deletions. I was wondering if
> there was an easy way to choose which ones I want to keep.
>
> James

>> Internet Explorer does not delete cookies. You must do this manually.
>> However, your security software can automatically delete some or all
>> cookies, if it is configured to do so.
>>
>> The only automatic action Internet Explorer performs on cookies is
>> whether to accept them or not. You can configure this in Tools >
>> Internet Options > Privacy tab.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> JamesJ wrote:
>>> Is there away in Internet Explorer 7 to save cookies from being deleted?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James

JamesJ

Re: Saving Cookies
I checked the Privacy tab before but there are only options to block not to
keep.
Unless I'm missing something.

I'm trying to avoid additional software.

James

> In addition to the millions of cookie-management utilities available on
> the internet, you can go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> JamesJ wrote:
>> Yes. I realize I must initiate the deletions. I was wondering if
>> there was an easy way to choose which ones I want to keep.
>>
>> James
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Internet Explorer does not delete cookies. You must do this manually.
>>> However, your security software can automatically delete some or all
>>> cookies, if it is configured to do so.
>>>
>>> The only automatic action Internet Explorer performs on cookies is
>>> whether to accept them or not. You can configure this in Tools >
>>> Internet Options > Privacy tab.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Kai Schaetzl

Re: Saving Cookies
JamesJ schrieb am Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:05:59 -0400:

> Is there away in Internet Explorer 7 to save cookies from being deleted?

You cannot mark specific cookies as "keep" and then delete all the others,
if that is what you mean. However, all sites that you put in your
Favorites should get excluded if you check that tickbox "Preserve
Favorites website data" *and* the tickbox for cookies.

I haven't ever used it, but the explanation from help says exactly that:

Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to
delete the cookies and files associated with websites in your Favorites
list.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

JamesJ

Re: Saving Cookies
Yes, that's what I mean. But, where exactly is the tickbox for the
Favorites?

James

JamesJ schrieb am Fri, 24 Apr 2009 05:45:13 -0400:

> But, where exactly is the tickbox for the
> Favorites?

Not for the Favorites. You have to create a Favorite for each site you
want to keep. Then you open the dialog for Delete...ing the Browsing
history on the first tab in internet options/advanced. There you find the
tickboxes I mentioned.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

JamesJ

Re: Saving Cookies
Let me explain a bit further.
The reason I want to save certain cookies is there are several
web sites I visit frequently and I need to enter a username and password.
(next they'll be asking for a piece of my finger).
Anyway, to make it easier on me I would like to have the username be saved
so I only need to enter the pw.
I seemed to have found a solution. I found my cookies folder:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Cookies
I set the cookies I want to keep to Hidden.
Does this seem ok?

JamesJ schrieb am Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:07:55 -0400:

> I set the cookies I want to keep to Hidden.
> Does this seem ok?

Why should it? I told you about a solution for you. AFAICS this is the
only one you can you. I'd say it's not complicated to use it.

On the other hand, you can just delete the cookies you want to delete,
manually. You don't have to use IE's built-in functionality. If you set
those that you want to keep to hidden you won't see them if you really
hide hidden files ... so you can delete the others then easily - manually!

Kai