IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!

Eduardo Nazato

IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!
Hi all,

I'm using Internet Explorer 8 (final) in a Windows XP SP3 machine. Since
last week my IE started hanging a lot while opening some specific websites
from my company, like the timesheet of Project Web Access and the web console
of Virtual Server 2005 R2. Even when typing, IE 8 hangs and "swallow" some
keys :P
I'm typing this post using Notepad, I couldn't do it in IE 8 with that
problem around.

I tried using the "No Add-Ons" version, and the problem persists. The same
sites works perfectly on IE 7. I thought that it could be my antivirus, but
the problem happens with or without it.

Using ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals I've found that while IE 8 hangs, a
file called iertutil.dll uses a lot of CPU.

I really don't know what's happening, I've stumbled a lot through the
internet but found nothing.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Eduardo Nazato

Re: IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!
1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility Mode?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Eduardo Nazato wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Internet Explorer 8 (final) in a Windows XP SP3 machine. Since
> last week my IE started hanging a lot while opening some specific websites
> from my company, like the timesheet of Project Web Access and the web
> console of Virtual Server 2005 R2. Even when typing, IE 8 hangs and
> "swallow" some keys :P
> I'm typing this post using Notepad, I couldn't do it in IE 8 with that
> problem around.
>
> I tried using the "No Add-Ons" version, and the problem persists. The same
> sites works perfectly on IE 7. I thought that it could be my antivirus,
> but
> the problem happens with or without it.
>
> Using ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals I've found that while IE 8 hangs,
> file called iertutil.dll uses a lot of CPU.
>
> I really don't know what's happening, I've stumbled a lot through the
> internet but found nothing.
>
> Could anyone help me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eduardo Nazato

BoomerFT

RE: IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!
I too began having trouble with IE 8 hanging. I researched and tried
everything... compatibility mode, disabling add-ons, etc. Still nothing
worked so finally I gave up... IE 8 is not ready, if you ask me. I didn't
like how it handles Favorites anyway. I uninstalled using the Microsoft
Fix-It tool. No hangs yet on IE 7 though it has reset a few things. I gladly
accept that in exchange for a working IE again.

It may be a while before IE 8 is supported by enough vendors, etc with
compatible add-ons. Till then I'm staying with IE 7.

"Eduardo Nazato" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Internet Explorer 8 (final) in a Windows XP SP3 machine. Since
> last week my IE started hanging a lot while opening some specific websites
> from my company, like the timesheet of Project Web Access and the web console
> of Virtual Server 2005 R2. Even when typing, IE 8 hangs and "swallow" some
> keys :P
> I'm typing this post using Notepad, I couldn't do it in IE 8 with that
> problem around.
>
> I tried using the "No Add-Ons" version, and the problem persists. The same
> sites works perfectly on IE 7. I thought that it could be my antivirus, but
> the problem happens with or without it.
>
> Using ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals I've found that while IE 8 hangs, a
> file called iertutil.dll uses a lot of CPU.
>
> I really don't know what's happening, I've stumbled a lot through the
> internet but found nothing.
>
> Could anyone help me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eduardo Nazato

Eduardo Nazato

Re: IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!
Well, let's go:

1. Yes
2. Yes. Even at "no add-ons" mode, it persists
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No security or antivirus software installed
6. Yes, it was Symantec Endpoint Protection. But the problem happen with or
without it installed

Your 2nd question helped me to find a solution!
I'm used to run IE using the icon at the Quick Launch bar. While trying to
discover a solution for the problem, I switched the Start Menu to Classic
mode, and run IE using the "system icon" that appears on the desktop, and the
problem didn't happened!
So I realized that running IE using any icon, even the "No Add-ons" one, I
would face the problem, while executing it using the default desktop icon or
by the command line "iexplore.exe" the problem wouldn't show up. So I just
created a new icon, and the problem is (kind of) over.

I really don't know why this happens. All icons just point out to
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", and some of them has the
text "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%" on the Start In box.
On the newly created icon, is just written "Internet Explorer" on a grayed
out box.

Anyway, the problem is partially over. It still happens, but now I know how
to bypass it.
If you or anyone have more info about this weird behavior, please let me
know, ok.
Maybe something related to the upgrade from IE 7 (previously installed on
the machine) to IE 8?

Thanks a lot for the help, PA Bear
Eduardo Nazato

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility Mode?
>
> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Eduardo Nazato wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm using Internet Explorer 8 (final) in a Windows XP SP3 machine. Since
> > last week my IE started hanging a lot while opening some specific websites
> > from my company, like the timesheet of Project Web Access and the web
> > console of Virtual Server 2005 R2. Even when typing, IE 8 hangs and
> > "swallow" some keys :P
> > I'm typing this post using Notepad, I couldn't do it in IE 8 with that
> > problem around.
> >
> > I tried using the "No Add-Ons" version, and the problem persists. The same
> > sites works perfectly on IE 7. I thought that it could be my antivirus,
> > but
> > the problem happens with or without it.
> >
> > Using ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals I've found that while IE 8 hangs,
> > file called iertutil.dll uses a lot of CPU.
> >
> > I really don't know what's happening, I've stumbled a lot through the
> > internet but found nothing.
> >
> > Could anyone help me?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Eduardo Nazato

Re: IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!
You have no AV app installed?

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...s/prevent.mspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

Eduardo Nazato wrote:
> [...]
>>> last week my IE started hanging a lot while opening some specific
>>> websites
>>> from my company, like the timesheet of Project Web Access and the web
>>> console of Virtual Server 2005 R2. Even when typing, IE 8 hangs and
>>> "swallow" some keys :P
>>> I'm typing this post using Notepad, I couldn't do it in IE 8 with that
>>> problem around.
>>>
>>> I tried using the "No Add-Ons" version, and the problem persists. The
>>> same
>>> sites works perfectly on IE 7. I thought that it could be my antivirus,
>>> but
>>> the problem happens with or without it.
>>>
>>> Using ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals I've found that while IE 8
>>> hangs,
>>> file called iertutil.dll uses a lot of CPU.
>>>
>>> I really don't know what's happening, I've stumbled a lot through the

Thanks for the links, but I do have a AV software here. I just uninstalled it
during the tests to prove it wasn't the cause.
And I'm pretty sure that there are no viruses on the machine, the AV is
(was) very up-to-dated

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >>
> >> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> >> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> >> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> >> installed
> >> IE8?
> >>
> >> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

Bah, forget what I said about the recreated shortcut. The same problems now
happens with it too =/

Now it seems that the problem doesn't show up only by executing IE 8 through
the command "iexplore.exe"

"Eduardo Nazato" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I'm using Internet Explorer 8 (final) in a Windows XP SP3 machine. Since
> > > last week my IE started hanging a lot while opening some specific websites
> > > from my company, like the timesheet of Project Web Access and the web
> > > console of Virtual Server 2005 R2. Even when typing, IE 8 hangs and
> > > "swallow" some keys :P
> > > I'm typing this post using Notepad, I couldn't do it in IE 8 with that
> > > problem around.
> > >
> > > I tried using the "No Add-Ons" version, and the problem persists. The same
> > > sites works perfectly on IE 7. I thought that it could be my antivirus,
> > > but
> > > the problem happens with or without it.
> > >
> > > Using ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals I've found that while IE 8 hangs,
> > > file called iertutil.dll uses a lot of CPU.
> > >
> > > I really don't know what's happening, I've stumbled a lot through the

edsuareza@gmail.com

Re: IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!
I'm experiencn he saeproblem.... jutlookhw this was witte

I am experiencing the same problemsee how things got written up
there? Need a solution ASAP otherwise moving back to Chrome

On Apr 27, 9:18*am, Eduardo Nazato
<EduardoNaz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > > 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737<= Read before using!

> > > 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> > > [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]

> > > 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> > > subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? *What anti-spyware
> > > applications (other than Defender)? *What third-party firewall (if any)?
> > > Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> > > IE8?

> > > 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

If you need assistance, please begin a new thread.

edsuareza@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm experiencn he saeproblem.... jutlookhw this was witte
>
> I am experiencing the same problemsee how things got written up
> there? Need a solution ASAP otherwise moving back to Chrome

Re: IE 8 hanging even the keyboard!
Has Symantec confirmed that your version of Symantic Endpoint Protection is
supported in IE8?

Was Symantic Endpoint Protection running in the background *when you
installed* IE8?

If you disable Symantic Endpoint Protection and uninstall IE8, does the
behavior persist in IE7? (Disregard the fact that you did not see the
behavior in IE7, before you installed IE8.)

Eduardo Nazato wrote:
> Bah, forget what I said about the recreated shortcut. The same problems
> now
> happens with it too =/
>
> Now it seems that the problem doesn't show up only by executing IE 8
> through
> the command "iexplore.exe"

<paste>