IE8 Accelerator and Outlook '07

rct0725

IE8 Accelerator and Outlook '07
Now that I've finally gotten the Outlook Connector to work I don't use
Windows Mail anymore. That said, when I invoke the right-click Accelerator
in IE8 the option to send something won't list Outlook, which I'd prefer to
use.

Am I missing something here? My machine runs XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.
rob^_^

Re: IE8 Accelerator and Outlook '07
Hi RCT,

The default Mail accelerator is for Window Live Mail. Use the File>Send menu
option to send the link to the current page via your default mail services
provider. (Note an accelerator is not like the mail: protocol.)

Regards.

"rct0725" <rct0725@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Now that I've finally gotten the Outlook Connector to work I don't use
> Windows Mail anymore. That said, when I invoke the right-click
> Accelerator
> in IE8 the option to send something won't list Outlook, which I'd prefer
> use.
>
> Am I missing something here? My machine runs XP Pro.
>
> Thanks in advance.

VanguardLH

rct0725 wrote:

> Now that I've finally gotten the Outlook Connector to work I don't use
> Windows Mail anymore. That said, when I invoke the right-click Accelerator
> in IE8 the option to send something won't list Outlook, which I'd prefer to
> use.
>
> Am I missing something here? My machine runs XP Pro.
>
> Thanks in advance.

And that would be for WHICH accelerator? There is not just one
accelerator. Maybe you are using one of the e-mail accelerators listed
at http://www.ieaddons.com/en/email/. Maybe it's some other
accelerator. Whatever accelerator you happen to be choosing may be
designed to use a specific e-mail service.
rct0725

Re: IE8 Accelerator and Outlook '07
Man, do I feel foolish! You are absolutely right, of course.

In my defense, call it laziness if you wish, but I am fanatical about
short-cuts and right-click so often in all MS apps it's become second nature.
In fact, I use a menu bar as a last resort. Still a poor excuse.

Thank you for the answer. Much appreciated.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi RCT,
>
> The default Mail accelerator is for Window Live Mail. Use the File>Send menu
> option to send the link to the current page via your default mail services
> provider. (Note an accelerator is not like the mail: protocol.)
>
> Regards.
>
> "rct0725" <rct0725@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Now that I've finally gotten the Outlook Connector to work I don't use
> > Windows Mail anymore. That said, when I invoke the right-click
> > Accelerator
> > in IE8 the option to send something won't list Outlook, which I'd prefer
> > use.
> >
> > Am I missing something here? My machine runs XP Pro.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

rct0725

RE: IE8 Accelerator and Outlook '07
An interesting addendum: when selecting File/Send/Page by E-Mail it fires up
Windows Live. File/Send/Link by E-Mail up comes Outlook. Interesting.

"rct0725" wrote:

> Now that I've finally gotten the Outlook Connector to work I don't use
> Windows Mail anymore. That said, when I invoke the right-click Accelerator
> in IE8 the option to send something won't list Outlook, which I'd prefer to
> use.
>
> Am I missing something here? My machine runs XP Pro.
>
> Thanks in advance.

VanguardLH

rct0725 wrote:

> "rct0725" wrote:
>
>> Now that I've finally gotten the Outlook Connector to work I don't use
>> Windows Mail anymore. That said, when I invoke the right-click Accelerator
>> in IE8 the option to send something won't list Outlook, which I'd prefer to
>> use.
>>
>> Am I missing something here? My machine runs XP Pro.

> An interesting addendum: when selecting File/Send/Page by E-Mail it fires up
> Windows Live. File/Send/Link by E-Mail up comes Outlook. Interesting.

What is configured as the default e-mail program under Internet Options
-> Programs?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...rnet-explorer/
The above describes how you specify the default e-mail client using the
Start menu. See if it fixes your problem (of the wrong e-mail client
being the default).

Did you ever install the Windows Live Mail client program?
rct0725

Re: IE8 Accelerator and Outlook '07
I had already set the default to Outlook and it remains there. I reset it
again; same result.

And yes, I had already installed Live Mail, and while I like it, it seems to
slow my system (which is an older model) down. Also, I like to have the
complete functionality of Outlook and have been a fan for years.

Thanks for responding.

rct0725 wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> rct0725 wrote:

>>> An interesting addendum: when selecting File/Send/Page by E-Mail it fires up
>>> Windows Live. File/Send/Link by E-Mail up comes Outlook. Interesting.

>> What is configured as the default e-mail program under Internet Options
>> -> Programs?
>>
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...rnet-explorer/
>> The above describes how you specify the default e-mail client using the
>> Start menu. See if it fixes your problem (of the wrong e-mail client
>> being the default).
>>
>> Did you ever install the Windows Live Mail client program?

> I had already set the default to Outlook and it remains there. I reset it
> again; same result.

I mentioned *2* places to check for the default e-mail client setting:
one was mentioned and the other is described in the KB article. Did you
set BOTH to point at Outlook?

> And yes, I had already installed Live Mail, and while I like it, it seems to
> slow my system (which is an older model) down. Also, I like to have the
> complete functionality of Outlook and have been a fan for years.

You are going to use both Windows Live Mail and Outlook for e-mail
clients on the same host? If not, pick one and uninstall the other.

By the way, I tried both methods in IE8 (Send Page and Send Link by
e-mail) and Outlook was started for both tests. That's why I think you
have a config problem. Another possibility is to use IE's advanced
properties and Reset it to its defaults. Another test would be to start
IE in its no add-ons mode.
rct0725

Re: IE8 Accelerator and Outlook '07
Eureka! The second method did the trick. I failed to get to it before as I
was headed to work and simply forgot. Once again, I got ahead of myself.

Thanks, everyone.