WSJ article million pop-ups I forced shut down

Bob

WSJ article million pop-ups I forced shut down
I went to:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1239...mod=yahoo_free
Clicked printable view. Then as it came up I changed my mind and closed it
or something and I kept getting new windows of the same article popping up
faster than I could close them. I could not stop it. I was hopeless.
Something took control of my computer. If I left it I would have a million
windows open of the same article. I was tempted for a moment for
entertainment to just leave it and watch my computer melt down. I thought
better of it a second later and forced a shut down. I went to the web site
after reboot and everything worked fine.

What happened? What did I do? What do I do to prevent this from happening
again? What do I do if it happens again?

I am using the latest version of IE7. I have heard bad stuff on IE8 is the
only reason I have not upgraded.

Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than
I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008 running
32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates
frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and sound. My
ISP is Comcast 12mbps with Motorola SURFboard SB5101 Cable Modem direct to
computer. No other switches or routers or wireless or phone line or any
other networking hardware hooked up to this computer.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: WSJ article million pop-ups I forced shut down

"Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote in message news:eG6JbrIwJHA.5900@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I went to:
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1239...mod=yahoo_free
> Clicked printable view. Then as it came up I changed my mind and

> closed it or something

Now you know. Don't do that. ; )

> and I kept getting new windows of the same article popping up
> faster than I could close them. I could not stop it. I was hopeless.

> Something took control of my computer. If I left it I would have a million
> windows open of the same article. I was tempted for a moment for
> entertainment to just leave it and watch my computer melt down. I thought
> better of it a second later and forced a shut down. I went to the web site
> after reboot and everything worked fine.
>

> What happened?

You did something that caused a bug in the web app to enter
a non-terminating loop.

> What did I do?

See above? ; )

> What do I do to prevent this from happening again?

Be more careful

> What do I do if it happens again?

Did you try using the IE popup stopper?
Hint: It's the second little pane in the Status bar.
Click there and you can see a menu which will turn it on.

Alternatively, get into Task Manager and kill iexplore.exe
e.g. press Ctrl-Shift-Esc, Ctrl-Tab to Processes (if necessary),
press I,I,... to iexplore.exe which has the biggest CPU% statistic,
press Menu key, choose End Process Tree.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I am using the latest version of IE7. I have heard bad stuff on IE8 is the
> only reason I have not upgraded.
>
> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than
> I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008 running
> 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates
> frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and sound. My
> ISP is Comcast 12mbps with Motorola SURFboard SB5101 Cable Modem direct to
> computer. No other switches or routers or wireless or phone line or any
> other networking hardware hooked up to this computer.

Spoonman

Re: WSJ article million pop-ups I forced shut down
i also found similar behavior a few times in ie8 and also in ie7 on a random
basis (maybe 4 or 5 times at all) with no reasonable cause and not
reproducable.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote in message news:eG6JbrIwJHA.5900@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> >I went to:
> > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1239...mod=yahoo_free
> > Clicked printable view. Then as it came up I changed my mind and

> > closed it or something

> Now you know. Don't do that. ; )
>

> > and I kept getting new windows of the same article popping up
> > faster than I could close them. I could not stop it. I was hopeless.

> > Something took control of my computer. If I left it I would have a million
> > windows open of the same article. I was tempted for a moment for
> > entertainment to just leave it and watch my computer melt down. I thought
> > better of it a second later and forced a shut down. I went to the web site
> > after reboot and everything worked fine.
> >

> > What happened?

> You did something that caused a bug in the web app to enter
> a non-terminating loop.
>

> > What did I do?

> See above? ; )
>

> > What do I do to prevent this from happening again?

> Be more careful
>

> > What do I do if it happens again?

> Did you try using the IE popup stopper?
> Hint: It's the second little pane in the Status bar.
> Click there and you can see a menu which will turn it on.
>
> Alternatively, get into Task Manager and kill iexplore.exe
> e.g. press Ctrl-Shift-Esc, Ctrl-Tab to Processes (if necessary),
> press I,I,... to iexplore.exe which has the biggest CPU% statistic,
> press Menu key, choose End Process Tree.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > I am using the latest version of IE7. I have heard bad stuff on IE8 is the
> > only reason I have not upgraded.
> >
> > Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than
> > I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008 running
> > 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates
> > frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and sound. My
> > ISP is Comcast 12mbps with Motorola SURFboard SB5101 Cable Modem direct to
> > computer. No other switches or routers or wireless or phone line or any
> > other networking hardware hooked up to this computer.

Kai Schaetzl

Bob schrieb am Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:04:49 -0500:

> What happened? What did I do? What do I do to prevent this from happening
> again? What do I do if it happens again?

Why not try to reproduce it again? I'm not even able to close that tab before
the "printer-friendly" view pops up. = it's near to impossible to close that
tab before the popup opens.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org