Internet Explorer stuck on opening page

Mario

Internet Explorer stuck on opening page
I'm running Win XP Media Center 2005 edition SP3. About a month ago my IE7
started getting stuck on the opening page. I've searched the net, tried
several options short of reinstalling Windows without results. My last effort
was installing IE8 and the behavior continues exactly the same, getting stuck
on initiation and it does not even get to the first page. A lot of the
solutions require going to the options menu after starting IE but I can't
even get to that. Any idea what could be happening and how to solve the
problem. BTW, I use Firefox regularly and only need IE for Windows Update.
Firefox works flawlessly in the same system. Thanks in advance for any
ssistance to solve this problem.

Re: Internet Explorer stuck on opening page
Pick one:

A blank Web page is displayed when you start IE7 [or IE8; ignore the title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385

You are unable to change the home page [Welcome screen] in IE7 [or IE8]
(FixIt4Me)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967753

When you open IE7 [or IE8], it may default to [the Welcome or Customize Your
Settings] page
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...every-startup/

NB: All of the above apply to IE7 and IE8

Mario wrote:
> I'm running Win XP Media Center 2005 edition SP3. About a month ago my IE7
> started getting stuck on the opening page. I've searched the net, tried
> several options short of reinstalling Windows without results. My last
> effort was installing IE8 and the behavior continues exactly the same,
> getting stuck on initiation and it does not even get to the first page. A
> lot of the solutions require going to the options menu after starting IE
> but I can't even get to that. Any idea what could be happening and how to
> solve the problem. BTW, I use Firefox regularly and only need IE for
> Windows Update. Firefox works flawlessly in the same system. Thanks in
> advance for any ssistance to solve this problem.

Mario

Re: Internet Explorer stuck on opening page
I appreciate your effort to help me. I'm sorry to say that none of the
options you recommended worked for me. I continue to get a blank page when I
start IE and the word "connecting" appears on the first tab. After a few
seconds a (Not Responding) show up at the top of the window. I am frustrated
with this. I really don't want to re-install but I might not ahve any
options. Thanks again

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385
>
> You are unable to change the home page [Welcome screen] in IE7 [or IE8]
> (FixIt4Me)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967753
>
> When you open IE7 [or IE8], it may default to [the Welcome or Customize Your
> Settings] page
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...every-startup/
>
> NB: All of the above apply to IE7 and IE8
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Mario wrote:
> > I'm running Win XP Media Center 2005 edition SP3. About a month ago my IE7
> > started getting stuck on the opening page. I've searched the net, tried
> > several options short of reinstalling Windows without results. My last
> > effort was installing IE8 and the behavior continues exactly the same,
> > getting stuck on initiation and it does not even get to the first page. A
> > lot of the solutions require going to the options menu after starting IE
> > but I can't even get to that. Any idea what could be happening and how to
> > solve the problem. BTW, I use Firefox regularly and only need IE for
> > Windows Update. Firefox works flawlessly in the same system. Thanks in
> > advance for any ssistance to solve this problem.

Re: Internet Explorer stuck on opening page
One down, much more to go...

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you installed IE7 and/or SP3?

5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

6. Which was installed first, SP3 or IE7?

Mario wrote:
> I appreciate your effort to help me. I'm sorry to say that none of the
> options you recommended worked for me. I continue to get a blank page when
> start IE and the word "connecting" appears on the first tab. After a few
> seconds a (Not Responding) show up at the top of the window. I am
> frustrated
> with this. I really don't want to re-install but I might not ahve any
> options. Thanks again

<paste>