IE builtin (crached) session management?

Alan Tamm

IE builtin (crached) session management?
Normally if I had a session open before IE crashed and later I would open IE
the message box would be displayed asking me if I wanted to resume the
session which is desired. But if (after reboot) another program would open a
IE window I would lose the session?
How can I make IE to ask for session restore when it has been already opened
(I clicked on a url or IE was started by some app)? Is the session lost in
that case or what?

What if IE had great sesson management build in like any other decent
browser nowadays? I think saving sessions instead of bookmarks is standard
for quite some time for multipurpose browsers users so the ability to choose
saved session or crashed session(s!) IMHO should be provided to the user..

NOTE: I'm using Opera writing this, which is a fine exmple of how it should
be done although you can still lose a session if you accidentally close a
window so always kill the task instead if you need to be able to reopen all
tabs in all windows after quick reboot etc!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE builtin (crached) session management?
Did you want us to guess what version of Internet Explorer you're
talking about?

As far as I can tell, you are describing of feature of IE7Pro, a
third-party add-on not part of Internet Explorer.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Alan Tamm wrote:
> Normally if I had a session open before IE crashed and later I would open IE
> the message box would be displayed asking me if I wanted to resume the
> session which is desired. But if (after reboot) another program would open a
> IE window I would lose the session?
> How can I make IE to ask for session restore when it has been already opened
> (I clicked on a url or IE was started by some app)? Is the session lost in
> that case or what?
>
> What if IE had great sesson management build in like any other decent
> browser nowadays? I think saving sessions instead of bookmarks is standard
> for quite some time for multipurpose browsers users so the ability to choose
> saved session or crashed session(s!) IMHO should be provided to the user..
>
> NOTE: I'm using Opera writing this, which is a fine exmple of how it should
> be done although you can still lose a session if you accidentally close a
> window so always kill the task instead if you need to be able to reopen all
> tabs in all windows after quick reboot etc!
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

kenhan

Re: IE builtin (crached) session management?
I recently switched to IE8 from Firefox 3. While I missed the option to
automatically restore all tabs when the browser is reopened, I was willing to
live with the "Reopen last browsing session" option in the Tools menu.

That is, until last night. Windows Update restarted my machine, and IE was
open with only my home page. When I tried the "Reopen last browsing session"
option, I only got the tab that had appeared as a separate window that was
launched from one of the tabs in my last session. I had manually closed this
window a while ago, so in my mind it is not my last browsing session. And my
real last session is nowhere to be seen, not even in the Recently Closed Tabs
list.

Luckily, most of the tabs I care about were still in my last Firefox
session. While I wanted to give IE8 a try, guess which browser I feel I can
trust more in situations like this?

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Did you want us to guess what version of Internet Explorer you're
> talking about?
>
> As far as I can tell, you are describing of feature of IE7Pro, a
> third-party add-on not part of Internet Explorer.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Alan Tamm wrote:
> > Normally if I had a session open before IE crashed and later I would open IE
> > the message box would be displayed asking me if I wanted to resume the
> > session which is desired. But if (after reboot) another program would open a
> > IE window I would lose the session?
> > How can I make IE to ask for session restore when it has been already opened
> > (I clicked on a url or IE was started by some app)? Is the session lost in
> > that case or what?
> >
> > What if IE had great sesson management build in like any other decent
> > browser nowadays? I think saving sessions instead of bookmarks is standard
> > for quite some time for multipurpose browsers users so the ability to choose
> > saved session or crashed session(s!) IMHO should be provided to the user..
> >
> > NOTE: I'm using Opera writing this, which is a fine exmple of how it should
> > be done although you can still lose a session if you accidentally close a
> > window so always kill the task instead if you need to be able to reopen all
> > tabs in all windows after quick reboot etc!
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

kenhan

Re: IE builtin (crached) session management?
Hi Rob, thanks for the tip. It's now my default home page. However, the
list of tabs only goes back as far as the last session, which isn't far
enough back for my example below.

Ken

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Kenhan,
>
> about:tabs also offers a listing of the tabs from your last session.
>
> "kenhan" <kenhan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently switched to IE8 from Firefox 3. While I missed the option to
> > automatically restore all tabs when the browser is reopened, I was willing
> > live with the "Reopen last browsing session" option in the Tools menu.
> >
> > That is, until last night. Windows Update restarted my machine, and IE
> > was
> > open with only my home page. When I tried the "Reopen last browsing
> > session"
> > option, I only got the tab that had appeared as a separate window that was
> > launched from one of the tabs in my last session. I had manually closed
> > this
> > window a while ago, so in my mind it is not my last browsing session. And
> > my
> > real last session is nowhere to be seen, not even in the Recently Closed
> > Tabs
> > list.
> >
> > Luckily, most of the tabs I care about were still in my last Firefox
> > session. While I wanted to give IE8 a try, guess which browser I feel I
> > can
> > trust more in situations like this?
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you want us to guess what version of Internet Explorer you're
> >> talking about?
> >>
> >> As far as I can tell, you are describing of feature of IE7Pro, a
> >> third-party add-on not part of Internet Explorer.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Kai Schaetzl

Re: IE builtin (crached) session management?
Well, you know, other people use Favorites/Bookmarks for this purpose ...

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

sans

Re: IE builtin (crached) session management?
You don't understand..

In FireFox, if you have, say, 12 tabs open and you want to, say, restart
your computer for, say, some drivers or what have you... when you CLOSE it
and the reopen it after the fact, you are presented with a dialog box asking
if you want to restore the previous session - every time.

IE8 does not do this. Closing the browser closes the tabs without the
re-open feature. To work around this, I usually kill IE via TaskManager.
Works like a champ.

"Kai Schaetzl" wrote:

> Well, you know, other people use Favorites/Bookmarks for this purpose ...
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Don Varnau

Re: IE builtin (crached) session management?
Original thread:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...plorer.general

You can reopen the previous session, after a restart, in this way...
1. Internet Options> General> Tabs> Settings> When a new tab is opened,
open: The new tab page.
2. After the restart, open IE. Open a new tab. Select "Reopen last browsing
session."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]