Branding Policy delay has returned with IE8

UNCC Bob

Branding Policy delay has returned with IE8
The issue with the 20 second delay when logging in remotely (such as via
Citrix) that pauses at the "Internet Explorer Branding Policy" window has
returned with IE8. This was resolved with a hotfix in IE7 KB941158. Of
course this doesn't work with IE8. Can we get this fixed?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Branding Policy delay has returned with IE8

"UNCC Bob" <UNCC Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6696AE4A-3922-436F-915A-A6804135AA37@microsoft.com...
> The issue with the 20 second delay when logging in remotely (such as via
> Citrix) that pauses at the "Internet Explorer Branding Policy" window has
> returned with IE8. This was resolved with a hotfix in IE7 KB941158.

> Of course this doesn't work with IE8.

What does that mean? Have you tried enabling the FeatureControl?
Browsing iedkcs32.dll shows that the string is still there.

> Can we get this fixed?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

UNCC Bob

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "UNCC Bob" <UNCC Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6696AE4A-3922-436F-915A-A6804135AA37@microsoft.com...
> > The issue with the 20 second delay when logging in remotely (such as via
> > Citrix) that pauses at the "Internet Explorer Branding Policy" window has
> > returned with IE8. This was resolved with a hotfix in IE7 KB941158.

> > Of course this doesn't work with IE8.

> What does that mean? Have you tried enabling the FeatureControl?
> Browsing iedkcs32.dll shows that the string is still there.
>

> > Can we get this fixed?

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

The patch recognizes that you are trying to run a hotfix designed for IE7 on
a system that has IE8 and doesn't install.

Bob Bair
UNCC

"UNCC Bob" <UNCCBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:38C841DD-2731-4B29-808E-D98BB1A3BA38@microsoft.com...

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "UNCC Bob" <UNCC Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6696AE4A-3922-436F-915A-A6804135AA37@microsoft.com...
>> > The issue with the 20 second delay when logging in remotely (such as via
>> > Citrix) that pauses at the "Internet Explorer Branding Policy" window has
>> > returned with IE8. This was resolved with a hotfix in IE7 KB941158.

>> > Of course this doesn't work with IE8.

>> What does that mean? Have you tried enabling the FeatureControl?
>> Browsing iedkcs32.dll shows that the string is still there.

> The patch recognizes that you are trying to run a hotfix designed for IE7 on
> a system that has IE8 and doesn't install.

Was that supposed to answer my first question?

Then did you miss the point? The IE8 version of iedkcs32.dll seems
to have the text of that registry switch in it, so I would guess from that
that the IE8 version of the module already has the hotfix patch integrated
into it. Therefore you should try to enable the feature as if you had just
installed the hotfix.

Good luck

Robert
---

nebechanezzer

Re: Branding Policy delay has returned with IE8
I'm not familiar with the text in teh registry switch of the IE8 version of
iedkcs32.dll that UNCC Bob is referring to, but I'm familiar with and
currently have the fix for the IE7 branding policy that he is referring to as
pointed out inthis Misrosoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941158.

I also just created a custom deployment for IE8 which I noticed also has the
20 second delay during logon while applying the IE Branding Policy.
We'd really like a fix for this as we get beat up on logon times and may
push back deploying IE8 if we can't work around the 20 second delay.

Thanks,
Ted

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "UNCC Bob" <UNCCBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:38C841DD-2731-4B29-808E-D98BB1A3BA38@microsoft.com...

> >> What does that mean? Have you tried enabling the FeatureControl?
> >> Browsing iedkcs32.dll shows that the string is still there.

> > The patch recognizes that you are trying to run a hotfix designed for IE7 on
> > a system that has IE8 and doesn't install.

> Was that supposed to answer my first question?
>
> Then did you miss the point? The IE8 version of iedkcs32.dll seems
> to have the text of that registry switch in it, so I would guess from that
> that the IE8 version of the module already has the hotfix patch integrated
> into it. Therefore you should try to enable the feature as if you had just
> installed the hotfix.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---

nebechanezzer

Re: Branding Policy delay has returned with IE8
Robert,
When you say the IE version of the DLL already has that text of that
registry switch in it, I presume you are talking about the registry entry at:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_PARSING_BRAND ING_CMDLINE_FLAGS_KB941158
Right??
So when you say to enable that feature as though we installed the hotfix,
are you saying we need to simple set that .reg entry to 1 as the hotfix does
or is there a mrowser menu setting that can be enabled, and what would that
setting be? I've looked around at settings and I've tested setting that old
registry entry according to the IE7 hotfix.

Thanks again.