How to remove "Live Search" toolbar and "Favorites" entry from IntExp 8 ?

Lorenzo Palmer

How to remove "Live Search" toolbar and "Favorites" entry from IntExp 8 ?
How can I remove the "Live Search" toolbar from the new IntExp 8 ?

The same question is about the "Favorites" entry in the "Favorites Bar".
I want to access my Favorites either through the "Favorites Bar" directly or through
the "Favorites" menu entry in the menu bar.

I don't want a "Favorites" entry in the "Favorites Bar" itself.

How can I move the menu to the top of the IntExp (above the URL entry field)?

In IntExp 7 there were some Registry tweaks which seem not to work in the new version IntExp 8.

Lorenzo

VanguardLH

Re: How to remove "Live Search" toolbar and "Favorites" entry from IntExp 8 ?
Lorenzo Palmer wrote:

> How can I remove the "Live Search" toolbar from the new IntExp 8 ?

To lose the spam, you have to lose features:
- Go to Internet Options -> Content tab -> Autocomplete settings.
- Disable the "Address bar" option.

You lose those handy features just to get rid of Microsoft using IE8 to
spam their Windows Search program. You get the autocomplete features of
the address bar with the spam, or you lose those features to also lose
the spam, or you succumb to their spam and install Windows Search.
Remember back to when Microsoft spammed their MSN service by adding a
desktop shortcut to it in Windows installs?

Title: Internet Explorer 8 may prompt you with the following message
when you type inside the Address bar: "Download Windows Search
to improve history and favorites results"
Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968513

Many Windows users are uninterested in Windows Search. Also, users
might prefer a different file indexer, like Google Desktop or Copernic.
You could complain to Microsoft about their shameless spamming plug for
Windows Search in IE8. For me, those Address Bar features are not
critical so I just disable them to get rid of their spam.

Comment: "Support for Internet Explorer 8 is available at no charge
until 31st December 2009."
MS page: http://preview.tinyurl.com/c4roap

I have seen the following proposed (and it did work but I'm not sure of
all the ramifications of saying a program is installed that doesn't
exist). You edit the registry to add keys to lie that Windows Search is
installed (and at version 99, in this case). Run the following in the
Start -> Run menu:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t
REG_SZ /d 99 /f

REG.exe is a registry console tool used to modify the registry without
having to use regedit.exe. For instructions on using it, run "reg /?"
in a command shell (cmd.exe).
Donald Anadell

"Lorenzo Palmer" <palmer.lor@bologna.it> wrote in message

> How can I remove the "Live Search" toolbar from the new IntExp 8 ?

Are you referring to the "Windows Live Toolbar", or the "Search Box" that's
defaulted to Live Search?

Uninstalling "Windows Live Toolbar"

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?proje...lt oolbar.htm

Hiding the IE8 Search Box:

Using Group Policy Editor:
User Configuration||Administrative Templates||Windows Components||Internet
Explorer
"Prevent Internet Explorer Search box from displaying"

Using the Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet
Explorer\Infodelivery\Restrictions
DWORD Name: NoSearchBox
DWORD Value: 1

> The same question is about the "Favorites" entry in the "Favorites Bar".
> I want to access my Favorites either through the "Favorites Bar" directly
> or through
> the "Favorites" menu entry in the menu bar.
>
> I don't want a "Favorites" entry in the "Favorites Bar" itself.

WYSIWYG Alternately you can hide the Favorites Bar altogether

> How can I move the menu to the top of the IntExp (above the URL entry
> field)?
>
> In IntExp 7 there were some Registry tweaks which seem not to work in the
> new version IntExp 8.

The same Registry Tweak should work in IE8 as it did in IE7:
Menu Bar(aka Standard Toolbar) to Top:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930645

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Lorenzo

Kai Schaetzl

VanguardLH schrieb am Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:20:19 -0500:

> > How can I remove the "Live Search" toolbar from the new IntExp 8 ?

> To lose the spam, you have to lose features:
> - Go to Internet Options -> Content tab -> Autocomplete settings.
> - Disable the "Address bar" option.
>
> You lose those handy features just to get rid of Microsoft using IE8 to
> spam their Windows Search program.

That's not what he asked I guess. I rather assume he thinks that the
search box is the "Live Search toolbar". I've seen several posts where
people think this is the "Live Search toolbar" while it just is the search
box displaying the default search provider. Probably mainly people
upgrading from IE6.

> Many Windows users are uninterested in Windows Search.

What's the problem? Simply don't install it. The little teaser goes away
after about 12 days.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> VanguardLH schrieb am Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:20:19 -0500:
>
>>> How can I remove the "Live Search" toolbar from the new IntExp 8 ?

>> To lose the spam, you have to lose features:
>> - Go to Internet Options -> Content tab -> Autocomplete settings.
>> - Disable the "Address bar" option.
>>
>> You lose those handy features just to get rid of Microsoft using IE8 to
>> spam their Windows Search program.

> That's not what he asked I guess.

I had to guess, too, since there is no Live Search toolbar in IE8.

> I rather assume he thinks that the
> search box is the "Live Search toolbar".

Possibly and a good guess but still a guess. Yet the OP never bothered
to mention why he thought this was a new feature. It was there in IE7,
too. So maybe the OP jumped from IE6 to IE8 but obviously never
mentioned it.

>> Many Windows users are uninterested in Windows Search.

> What's the problem? Simply don't install it. The little teaser goes away
> after about 12 days.

Oooh, it does? That's good; however, I doubt users are going to
tolerate that long a period until the promotional spam disappears. It
was in a post from Donald Anadell that I first saw mention of how to
fake out IE8 to stop it from promoting Live Search.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...297f084949121e