How do I remove Live Search toolbar from IE 8?

Lazzmatazz

How do I remove Live Search toolbar from IE 8?
I DO NOT WANT the Live Search add-on toolbar to clutter my browser but I can
find no way to remove it. Any suggestions?
Kai Schaetzl

Re: How do I remove Live Search toolbar from IE 8?
Lazzmatazz schrieb am Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:06:06 -0700:

> I DO NOT WANT the Live Search add-on toolbar to clutter my browser but I can
> find no way to remove it. Any suggestions?

Why don't you remove it the same way that you remove any other software?

Btw: Why did you install it in the first place? IE8 isn't bundled with it.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Lazzmatazz

Re: How do I remove Live Search toolbar from IE 8?
Because Live Search does not show up among the software titles in "Add &
Remove Programs", like the Yahoo! or Google toolbars. And I did not have a
choice to install it or not. When I installed IE8, it was already there. I
added no "add-ons", in fact when I try to "Manage Add-Ons", the "Remove"
command is greyed out when I highlight Live Search so it wasn't meant to be
removed. I did search the Internet for a method of removing Live Search and
found a complex solution by editing the Registry, which I am not going to do,
lest I mess up something else. Check it out:

http://www.webstuffscan.com/2008/01/...ve-search-box/

I thought Microsoft would have a cleaner, easear, more elegant method. I
guess I was wrong. Your brief response seems to suggest that there is no way
of removing Live Search. Thanks for the effort though.

Lazzmatazz schrieb am Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:29:03 -0700:

> http://www.webstuffscan.com/2008/01/...ive-search-box
>
> I thought Microsoft would have a cleaner, easear, more elegant method. I
> guess I was wrong. Your brief response seems to suggest that there is no way
> of removing Live Search. Thanks for the effort though.

Oh, what you are talking about is *not* the Windows Live Search toolbar!
It is the browser search box. It just happens to use Live as the default search
engine. That's all.
You can use any other search engine if you like.
Or you can simply remove it the way it is explained in this article. It's easy.
(What the author says about it, that it came with Messenger and that it is
called "Windows Live Search box" is completely bogus, but the way to remove it
is correct.)
You can also remove it with gpedit.msc, but this isn't available on XP Home.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Lazzmatazz

Re: How do I remove Live Search toolbar from IE 8?
Thank you - that confirms it.

Although, Live Search has the Windows mulicolor flag logo next to it, which
to me seems to indicate a Microsoft product, no?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Lazzmatazz schrieb am Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:34:01 -0700:

> Although, Live Search has the Windows mulicolor flag logo next to it, which
> to me seems to indicate a Microsoft product, no?

IE8 is a Microsoft product. The search box is part of IE8, it's not a separate
product at all. However, what search provider you use in the search box is up
to you. Click the arrow on the right for more information and adding and
changing providers.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

RalfG

"Lazzmatazz" <Lazzmatazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you - that confirms it.
>
> Although, Live Search has the Windows mulicolor flag logo next to it,
> which
> to me seems to indicate a Microsoft product, no?
>
> Thanks again for your assistance.
>
> "Kai Schaetzl" wrote:
>
>> Lazzmatazz schrieb am Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:29:03 -0700:
>>
>> > http://www.webstuffscan.com/2008/01/...ive-search-box
>> >
>> > I thought Microsoft would have a cleaner, easear, more elegant method.
>> > guess I was wrong. Your brief response seems to suggest that there is
>> > no way
>> > of removing Live Search. Thanks for the effort though.

>> Oh, what you are talking about is *not* the Windows Live Search toolbar!
>> It is the browser search box. It just happens to use Live as the default
>> search
>> engine. That's all.
>> You can use any other search engine if you like.
>> Or you can simply remove it the way it is explained in this article. It's
>> easy.
>> (What the author says about it, that it came with Messenger and that it
>> is
>> called "Windows Live Search box" is completely bogus, but the way to
>> remove it
>> is correct.)
>> You can also remove it with gpedit.msc, but this isn't available on XP
>> Home.
>>
>> Kai
>> --
>> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
>> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

It's just the new version of the regular IE search bar. Happens to be pinned
to the address bar in IE8. You can change the default search engine by
clicking on its icon as the available choices appear when you click in the
search box. Otherwise you can click the down arrow and select Manage Search
providers to change the default search engine, arrange the order of the
various choices or even delete Live Search from the list. Much the same as
in IE7 you can also add a number of other optional search engines to the
available list. Lists of add-ons can be found at this site:

http://www.ieaddons.com/en/searchproviders