IE8 Discuss Explorer Bar

Frederick R. Hutchings

IE8 Discuss Explorer Bar
Hi,

Win XP Pro SP3

I was looking through my Add-ons in IE8 and noticed one called Discuss. It
is referred to as an Explorer Bar. Is this a former button for IE? It will
let me disable it, but not remove it. How do I remove it?

Now that I think about it, there are several ActiveX controls that I would
like to remove as well. How about them? They are listed in All add-ons,
but not Downloaded add-ons. Again, there is an option to disable, but not
remove.

Fred

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Discuss Explorer Bar
Hi,
Microsoft Office added the Discuss button. I don't think you can uninstall
it. Just leave it disabled.
Here's a little information:
255085- Using the Discussion Feature in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255085
Working with Office Server Extensions:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.10).aspx

ActiveX Controls...
Manage Add-ons> Downloaded Controls, right-click the control> More
information. Try the Remove button. Some of these must be removed from
Control Panel> Add or remove programs.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Frederick R. Hutchings" <frederickh@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Win XP Pro SP3
>
> I was looking through my Add-ons in IE8 and noticed one called Discuss.

It
> is referred to as an Explorer Bar. Is this a former button for IE? It

will
> let me disable it, but not remove it. How do I remove it?
>
> Now that I think about it, there are several ActiveX controls that I would
> like to remove as well. How about them? They are listed in All add-ons,
> but not Downloaded add-ons. Again, there is an option to disable, but not
> remove.
>
> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: IE8 Discuss Explorer Bar
Thanks. That was really interesting about Discuss. Looks like a lot of
work, though. I take it that the newer versions of Office don't support it.

The ActiveX controls that I want to remove don't appear in Downloaded
controls. They appear in All add-ons, maybe among others. The Remove
button is grayed-out.

Fred

> Hi,
> Microsoft Office added the Discuss button. I don't think you can uninstall
> it. Just leave it disabled.
> Here's a little information:
> 255085- Using the Discussion Feature in Internet Explorer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255085
> Working with Office Server Extensions:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.10).aspx
>
> ActiveX Controls...
> Manage Add-ons> Downloaded Controls, right-click the control> More
> information. Try the Remove button. Some of these must be removed from
> Control Panel> Add or remove programs.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Frederick R. Hutchings" <frederickh@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Win XP Pro SP3
>>
>> I was looking through my Add-ons in IE8 and noticed one called Discuss.

> It
>> is referred to as an Explorer Bar. Is this a former button for IE? It

> will
>> let me disable it, but not remove it. How do I remove it?
>>
>> Now that I think about it, there are several ActiveX controls that I
>> would
>> like to remove as well. How about them? They are listed in All add-ons,
>> but not Downloaded add-ons. Again, there is an option to disable, but
>> not
>> remove.
>>
>> Fred

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: IE8 Discuss Explorer Bar
Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:

> Thanks. That was really interesting about Discuss. Looks like a lot of
> work, though. I take it that the newer versions of Office don't support
> it.
> The ActiveX controls that I want to remove don't appear in Downloaded
> controls. They appear in All add-ons, maybe among others. The Remove
> button is grayed-out.
>
> Fred

Try ToolbarCop (freeware): http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
"Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolbands, Toolbar icons and
Browser Helper Objects".
Usage instructions for ToolbarCop utility:
http://www.winhelponline.com/tbchelp.htm

--
Vincenzo Di Russo