IE8 doens't properly load some webpages

dogbert

IE8 doens't properly load some webpages
Hi,

I have 4 big pages (for me) that just don't show everything, looks like a
missing font almost or handling of most text.

www.google.com doesn't load

www.msn.com loads but only shows a few pictures, header search bars
and the thing that cycles between 3 story tpics, all else are not
vivisble.

webpages.....com my companies webmail using Outlook we access.

support.microsoft.com - loads pcitures only, nothign is clickable.

all worked fine the other day when i installed ie8.

Windows XP fully updated.
Ati Video driver.

2 other things: oddly the login screen's password prompt has the dots
looking like bars. trying to open Norton Internet security window has a
similar effect, missing info.

I've run the MS malicious software remover tools in case of conflicker
and such, but that didn't find anything.

after a big file copy i have going finishes. i'll try to reboot.

other facts: On this machine Firefox can display all pages fine. I have
a laptop with IE7 and all pages display fine.

Thanks,
James
Kai Schaetzl

Re: IE8 doens't properly load some webpages
Dogbert schrieb am Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:03:51 GMT:

> www.google.com doesn't load

what exactly does happen?

> all worked fine the other day when i installed ie8.

So, think about what you did after that. It doesn't look liek an IE8
problem, does it?
Have you already used RIES (internet options, advanced, reset ...) ?

> 2 other things: oddly the login screen's password prompt has the dots
> looking like bars.

Ok, a few of the possible reasons are that you are using a non-standard
theme, no theme at all or are missing the WingDings or whatever font that
is responsible for the display of the dots. Or maybe you set a fixed
encoding for all web pages instead of using "automatic".

trying to open Norton Internet security window has a
> similar effect, missing info.

Oh, you have Norton. Uninstall it completely and see if it is better now.
Yes, I'm serious. Keep the Windows Firewall on.

> I've run the MS malicious software remover tools in case of conflicker
> and such, but that didn't find anything.

Well, you should try other software, for instance the one from
MalwareBytes. The MSRT comes only with a limited set of signatures.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Dogbert

Re: IE8 doens't properly load some webpages
"Kai Schaetzl" <kai@mvps.org.invalid> wrote in

> Dogbert schrieb am Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:03:51 GMT:
>
>> www.google.com doesn't load

> what exactly does happen?

White page, no content, no images, nothing whatsoever.

>> all worked fine the other day when i installed ie8.

> So, think about what you did after that. It doesn't look liek an IE8
> problem, does it?

Actaully it does, I should've said IE8 worked fine the other day, it did,
pages loading properly and fully usable. now barely anything is
displayed.

> Have you already used RIES (internet options, advanced, reset ...) ?

Yes.

>> 2 other things: oddly the login screen's password prompt has the dots
>> looking like bars.

> Ok, a few of the possible reasons are that you are using a
> non-standard theme, no theme at all or are missing the WingDings or
> whatever font that is responsible for the display of the dots. Or
> maybe you set a fixed encoding for all web pages instead of using
> "automatic".

I personally abhor themes, I have always kept windows default, as a
developer it's cleaner. At most in the past i might've changed the title
bar color, but not here, never touch font size or crazy themes.

Also I use the Win XP start menu, not classic. Move with the times...

as to fixed encoding... hmmm i didn't explicitly change anything.

> trying to open Norton Internet security window has a
>> similar effect, missing info.

> Oh, you have Norton. Uninstall it completely and see if it is better
> now. Yes, I'm serious. Keep the Windows Firewall on.

I seriously doubt that's it, it worked fine before and I did not do a
reccent update to it that would be occuring in this former good now bad.
Only thing was install IE8 and let it do updates.

I will do that as last resort, but generally don't see it as the problem.
As I see it, Norton's only effect since they're using IE as a display
page instead of a real GUI.

>> I've run the MS malicious software remover tools in case of
>> conflicker and such, but that didn't find anything.

> Well, you should try other software, for instance the one from
> MalwareBytes. The MSRT comes only with a limited set of signatures.

I will review it and if it comes up trustworthy i'll try it thanks.

Dogbert schrieb am Wed, 08 Apr 2009 22:45:57 GMT:

> White page, no content, no images, nothing whatsoever.

Have a look at the source. Does it show the souce code you would expect?

> I seriously doubt that's it,

Just remove it. Your reply is what many people reply when asked to remove
it. Many then are surprised about the result ... It won't alwways help,
but often enough.
Honestly, until Norton is removed there's no point in troubleshooting such
a problem as it is among the known top causes for them. And the classic
way of dealing with that is eliminating the possible causes one by one,
starting with the most probable first ...

Kai

> Dogbert schrieb am Wed, 08 Apr 2009 22:45:57 GMT:
>
>> White page, no content, no images, nothing whatsoever.

> Have a look at the source. Does it show the souce code you would
> expect?

didn't think to look. but it's working now.

>> I seriously doubt that's it,

> Just remove it. Your reply is what many people reply when asked to
> remove it. Many then are surprised about the result ... It won't
> alwways help, but often enough.
> Honestly, until Norton is removed there's no point in troubleshooting
> such a problem as it is among the known top causes for them. And the
> classic way of dealing with that is eliminating the possible causes
> one by one, starting with the most probable first ...

didn't need to go this route. I'd done some security scans and figured
it'd be safe to reboot and my huge file copy finished... so i rebooted
all is well.

If i had not rebooted and uninstalled Norton i would have had a false
positive as it would've appeared to have resolved my issue, but it was
the reboot that fixed it.

> Kai

Thanks for the input and replies, it's food for thought next time.

-James
Dogbert

Re: IE8 doens't properly load some webpages

oh the thing that really comvinced me it was me it was memory or system
resources. I figured i'd want to capture a screenshot so i alt-prtscrn on
the msn page, opened my graphic viewer and i couldn't paste from clipboard.
it returned an error about unaccessabile clipboard, didn't write down exact
message, and so figured i need resources to fix it and just go for it.

Dogbert schrieb am Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:38:56 GMT:

> oh the thing that really comvinced me it was me it was memory or system
> resources.

If it was a ressource issue and you hit that again, just close all
programs that use a lot of GDI or user handles. This might be IE or
Outlook or other Office 2007 programs, maybe other programs. If that
doesn't help it's not a ressource problem.

Kai