IE8 Microsoft Critical Release Push

zzMHUME

IE8 Microsoft Critical Release Push
Hello,

IE7 was an Critrical Update awhile back and I am thinking IE8 will be thye
same. Presently, IE8 is blocked by our Domain Admins but my question is,
when will IE8 be a mandatory critical Install??? This is something our work
environment has to be ready for. Looked on the IE8 web site and no infor
there...

Any idea?

Michael

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Microsoft Critical Release Push
IE 7 was a High Priority update, not a Critical update, and IE 8 will
most likely also be a High Priority update when it's finally offered
through Windows Update.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

zzMHUME wrote:
> Hello,
>
> IE7 was an Critrical Update awhile back and I am thinking IE8 will be thye
> same. Presently, IE8 is blocked by our Domain Admins but my question is,
> when will IE8 be a mandatory critical Install??? This is something our work
> environment has to be ready for. Looked on the IE8 web site and no infor
> there...
>
> Any idea?
>
> Michael

VanguardLH

zzMHUME wrote:

> Hello,
>
> IE7 was an Critrical Update awhile back and I am thinking IE8 will be thye
> same. Presently, IE8 is blocked by our Domain Admins but my question is,
> when will IE8 be a mandatory critical Install??? This is something our work
> environment has to be ready for. Looked on the IE8 web site and no infor
> there...
>
> Any idea?
>
> Michael

When was IE7 ever listed as anything other than a recommended update?

If this is at work, they should be using their own SUS (Service Update
Services) server to decide what updates gets offered to your Windows
host(s).

Read:

Re: IE8 Microsoft Critical Release Push
IE7 was never offered as a critical update. It's always been offered as a
High Priority update and required the user to approve the install as well.

The same will apply to IE8 when it's pushed via AU shortly. See...

Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365125.aspx

<QP>
Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic
Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when
Internet Explorer 8 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The
notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user
who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local
administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus
continue using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7.
</QP>