Data Execution Protection error with IE 8

stiktech@snet.net

Data Execution Protection error with IE 8
Hello all,
I have a friend that recently downloaded IE8 onto his machine and for some
reason, he can't open IE due to a DEP issue. I won't let him. Since he does
upload files to a State service, they have no clue.
Opera was tried and it works fine, but not on the State's list of "approved"
browsers. I guess he was offered IE 8 as an update and just installed it (he
runs a Dell).
I suggested to uninstall IE 8 but he doesn't want to screw up the machine
any more than it currently is. I would guess that he has IE as his default
browser in settings.
IE was added to the list in the DEP panel and it still didn't open.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what happened? My friend is running
XP SP2 32 bit, and I think it is "Home," but I am not sure. Lots of Ram, so
it runs fine, except for opening IE.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Data Execution Protection error with IE 8

"stiktech@snet.net" <stiktechsnetnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I have a friend that recently downloaded IE8 onto his machine and for some
> reason, he can't open IE due to a DEP issue. I won't let him. Since he does
> upload files to a State service, they have no clue.
> Opera was tried and it works fine, but not on the State's list of "approved"
> browsers. I guess he was offered IE 8 as an update and just installed it (he
> runs a Dell).
> I suggested to uninstall IE 8 but he doesn't want to screw up the machine
> any more than it currently is. I would guess that he has IE as his default
> browser in settings.

> IE was added to the list in the DEP panel and it still didn't open.

Bad idea.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what happened?

It's probably an incompatible add-on which is causing the crash.
Allowing it just makes the symptom worse.

> My friend is running
> XP SP2 32 bit, and I think it is "Home," but I am not sure. Lots of Ram, so
> it runs fine, except for opening IE.
> Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Try starting in No Add-ons mode. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter

iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff

Does that crash? If not you have a base to start diagnosing the cause
of your symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

creeker4 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Data Execution Protection error with IE 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Aldwinckle View Post
"stiktech@snet.net" <stiktechsnetnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I have a friend that recently downloaded IE8 onto his machine and for some
> reason, he can't open IE due to a DEP issue. I won't let him. Since he does
> upload files to a State service, they have no clue.
> Opera was tried and it works fine, but not on the State's list of "approved"
> browsers. I guess he was offered IE 8 as an update and just installed it (he
> runs a Dell).
> I suggested to uninstall IE 8 but he doesn't want to screw up the machine
> any more than it currently is. I would guess that he has IE as his default
> browser in settings.

> IE was added to the list in the DEP panel and it still didn't open.

Bad idea.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what happened?

It's probably an incompatible add-on which is causing the crash.
Allowing it just makes the symptom worse.

> My friend is running
> XP SP2 32 bit, and I think it is "Home," but I am not sure. Lots of Ram, so
> it runs fine, except for opening IE.
> Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Try starting in No Add-ons mode. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter

iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff

Does that crash? If not you have a base to start diagnosing the cause
of your symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---
I started having the same problem with IE and Firefox 32-bit but not 64-bit IE on the same PC. I downloaded MalwareBytes anti-malware tool and found malware that Norton didn't catch. After removing the malware both IE and Firefox 32-bit began working normally. Hope this helps.