Homepage options greyed out

AlanTerrill

Homepage options greyed out
I've got a problem setting the homepage on a PC which was once part of our
network but is now standalone. When on the network, I set the homepage to our
intranet page with IEAK. Now I've removed it from the network, it still tries
to go the the intranet page but obviously can't find it. But when I go to
Internet Options -homepage -the buttons for 'use current', 'use default' and
'use blank' are all greyed out as is the homepage address line. I've tried
the Reset to Defaults option, and I've tried uninstalling in add/remove
programs and downloading a new copy of IE7.
None of these will restore the homepage functionality. Any ideas?
Donald Anadell

Re: Homepage options greyed out

"AlanTerrill" <AlanTerrill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got a problem setting the homepage on a PC which was once part of our
> network but is now standalone. When on the network, I set the homepage to
> our
> intranet page with IEAK. Now I've removed it from the network, it still
> tries
> to go the the intranet page but obviously can't find it. But when I go to
> Internet Options -homepage -the buttons for 'use current', 'use default'
> and
> 'use blank' are all greyed out as is the homepage address line. I've
> tried
> the Reset to Defaults option, and I've tried uninstalling in add/remove
> programs and downloading a new copy of IE7.
> None of these will restore the homepage functionality.

< Any ideas?

My guess would be that you still have Restrictions in place in the Registry.

Running the following .reg file should remove those restrictions:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/IE_reset_restrictions.reg

; Unlocks the Homepage
; Restores all the tabs
; Removes all IE restrictions including Toolbar restrictions

Be sure to back up your Registry before running the file in case something
goes amiss.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell wrote:
> "AlanTerrill" <AlanTerrill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've got a problem setting the homepage on a PC which was once part of
>> our
>> network but is now standalone. When on the network, I set the homepage to
>> our
>> intranet page with IEAK. Now I've removed it from the network, it still
>> tries
>> to go the the intranet page but obviously can't find it. But when I go
>> Internet Options -homepage -the buttons for 'use current', 'use default'
>> and
>> 'use blank' are all greyed out as is the homepage address line. I've
>> tried
>> the Reset to Defaults option, and I've tried uninstalling in add/remove
>> programs and downloading a new copy of IE7.
>> None of these will restore the homepage functionality.

> < Any ideas?
>
> My guess would be that you still have Restrictions in place in the
> Registry.
>
> Running the following .reg file should remove those restrictions:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/IE_reset_restrictions.reg
>
> ; Unlocks the Homepage
> ; Restores all the tabs
> ; Removes all IE restrictions including Toolbar restrictions
>
> Be sure to back up your Registry before running the file in case something
> goes amiss.

cf. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm => scroll down to "Remove IE
Restrictions & Restore Missing tabs"

NB: There might be a GPO in place that's responsible for this.
--
~PA Bear

AlanTerrill

Re: Homepage options greyed out
Thanks Donald -that cleared the problem immediately.

Alan

> Thanks Donald -that cleared the problem immediately.

You're welcome Alan, glad you were able to sort it out.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell