Favorites/Bookmarks Removal

WMB

Favorites/Bookmarks Removal
Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE8; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
Virus/Malware

1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte
secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier,
Windows XP (Home) SP3, 2 Calvary External USB 400/500 GB Hard Drives (NTFS),
1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401
Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller -
Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz,
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/05/2001, Virus/Malware
Protection - MS Windows Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter Guard,
SUPERAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,

Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, RegCure, CCleaner and AVG Anti-Virus Free.

(1). Hello, Spybot which I run on an as-needed basics appears to have hit on
an item that is listed in my Favorites/Bookmarks Folder that it cant remove.
To check this out I want to remove the Favorites/Bookmarks Folder, if it
will automatically be remade, or if it wont be automatically remade be IE,
to remove all the Favorites/Bookmarks that it contains. How do I remove
this folder or its contents?

Thanks for any help

Re: Favorites/Bookmarks Removal
Spybot Support Forums
http://forums.spybot.info/

WMB wrote:
> Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE8; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
> Virus/Malware
>

> 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256
> kilobyte
> secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier,
> Windows XP (Home) SP3, 2 Calvary External USB 400/500 GB Hard Drives
> (NTFS),
> 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401
> Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio
> Controller -
> Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz,
> BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/05/2001, Virus/Malware
> Protection - MS Windows Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter Guard,
> SUPERAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>
> Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, RegCure, CCleaner and AVG Anti-Virus Free.
>

> (1). Hello, Spybot which I run on an as-needed basics appears to have hit
> on
> an item that is listed in my Favorites/Bookmarks Folder that it cant
> remove.
> To check this out I want to remove the Favorites/Bookmarks Folder, if it
> will automatically be remade, or if it wont be automatically remade be IE,
> to remove all the Favorites/Bookmarks that it contains. How do I remove
> this folder or its contents?
>

> Thanks for any help

WMB

Re: Favorites/Bookmarks Removal
Thanks for the answer, PA Bear, but they wont help with clearing all
Favorites/Bookmarks. For info - When I was removing Spybot S & D, I was
prompted to tell why. I did, and was contacted within 48hrs to tell them
what was found by Spybot, etc. Quote: (Hello, Which item is found? What is
it named? Best regards, Sandra, Team Spybot)

I did and included "Snag It" captures, of what was displayed by Spybot, at
the end of Scan, and what was displayed after clicking the Fix prompts, and
the end results. That was the end of our e-mail contact as of 3 weeks ago.

> Spybot Support Forums
> http://forums.spybot.info/
>
> WMB wrote:
>> Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE8; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
>> Virus/Malware
>>

>> 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256
>> kilobyte
>> secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier,
>> Windows XP (Home) SP3, 2 Calvary External USB 400/500 GB Hard Drives
>> (NTFS),
>> 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401
>> Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio
>> Controller -
>> Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz,
>> BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/05/2001,
>> Virus/Malware
>> Protection - MS Windows Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter Guard,
>> SUPERAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>>
>> Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, RegCure, CCleaner and AVG Anti-Virus Free.
>>

>> (1). Hello, Spybot which I run on an as-needed basics appears to have hit
>> on
>> an item that is listed in my Favorites/Bookmarks Folder that it cant
>> remove.
>> To check this out I want to remove the Favorites/Bookmarks Folder, if it
>> will automatically be remade, or if it wont be automatically remade be
>> IE,
>> to remove all the Favorites/Bookmarks that it contains. How do I remove
>> this folder or its contents?
>>

>> Thanks for any help

Re: Favorites/Bookmarks Removal
I'm still not sure what the problem is but it appears to be either you
cannot deleted a folder in Favorites or you can delete it but it reappears
after closing/reopening IE or rebooting. A number of the applications you
listed in your first post may be "disallowing" this change, not just Spybot.

Is Spybot installed or not? If it is, is Tea Timer enabled?

Prior to uninstalling Spybot (if you did so at some point), did you (1)
de-Immunize and (2) disable Tea Timer and/or SDHelper?

A word about RegCure: If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or
"repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own
conclusions. In fact, using or having used RegCure may be responsible for
your current issue, at least in part.

WMB wrote:
> Thanks for the answer, PA Bear, but they wont help with clearing all
> Favorites/Bookmarks. For info - When I was removing Spybot S & D, I was
> prompted to tell why. I did, and was contacted within 48hrs to tell them
> what was found by Spybot, etc. Quote: (Hello, Which item is found? What
> is
> it named? Best regards, Sandra, Team Spybot)
>
> I did and included "Snag It" captures, of what was displayed by Spybot, at
> the end of Scan, and what was displayed after clicking the Fix prompts,
> and
> the end results. That was the end of our e-mail contact as of 3 weeks
> ago.
>
>> Spybot Support Forums
>> http://forums.spybot.info/
>>
>> WMB wrote:
>>> Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE8; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks
>>> for
>>> Virus/Malware
>>>

>>> 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256
>>> kilobyte
>>> secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier,
>>> Windows XP (Home) SP3, 2 Calvary External USB 400/500 GB Hard Drives
>>> (NTFS),
>>> 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401
>>> Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio
>>> Controller -
>>> Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100
>>> megahertz,
>>> BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/05/2001,
>>> Virus/Malware
>>> Protection - MS Windows Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter Guard,
>>> SUPERAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>>>
>>> Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, RegCure, CCleaner and AVG Anti-Virus Free.
>>>

>>> (1). Hello, Spybot which I run on an as-needed basics appears to have
>>> hit
>>> on
>>> an item that is listed in my Favorites/Bookmarks Folder that it cant
>>> remove.
>>> To check this out I want to remove the Favorites/Bookmarks Folder, if it
>>> will automatically be remade, or if it wont be automatically remade be
>>> IE,
>>> to remove all the Favorites/Bookmarks that it contains. How do I remove
>>> this folder or its contents?
>>>

>>> Thanks for any help

WMB

Re: Favorites/Bookmarks Removal
Again, thanks for the reply.
I've now read many of the opinions regarding Registry Cleaners and I more or
less agree with them. However at the time I 1st obtained RegCure I had not,
and was desperate for a solution to another problem I was having at that
time. I ran RegCure once and the problem went away. Since then I've learned
a little more and its is possible that RegCure only activated a control in
IE/OE that I could have found on my own with sufficient information. I
later found it and have since forgotten where I documented the fix, which
was to activate the refresh of newsgroup threads to prevent "time out". I
haven't posted to the Spybot Forum but read a thread there by you that
stated there could be issues with Spybot, Spyware Blaster, that could slow
down IE-8. 1st, Spybot is installed, Tea Timer is NOT enabled. I did the
"Undo" after immunizing. 2nd, I'm not having a problem with removing
individual sites or folders of sites in my favorites - I was looking for a
way to remove them all at once, if possible, in order to save time. 3rd,
Why would I want to remove all my favorites? A scan by Spybot found a
problem, Spyware/Malware, that it could not remove. My examination of the
found problem has led me to believe it is a File/Folder/URL entry in my
Favorites. Thanks again.

> I'm still not sure what the problem is but it appears to be either you
> cannot deleted a folder in Favorites or you can delete it but it reappears
> after closing/reopening IE or rebooting. A number of the applications you
> listed in your first post may be "disallowing" this change, not just
> Spybot.
>
> Is Spybot installed or not? If it is, is Tea Timer enabled?
>
> Prior to uninstalling Spybot (if you did so at some point), did you (1)
> de-Immunize and (2) disable Tea Timer and/or SDHelper?
>
> A word about RegCure: If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or
> "repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own
> conclusions. In fact, using or having used RegCure may be responsible for
> your current issue, at least in part.
>
> WMB wrote:
>> Thanks for the answer, PA Bear, but they wont help with clearing all
>> Favorites/Bookmarks. For info - When I was removing Spybot S & D, I was
>> prompted to tell why. I did, and was contacted within 48hrs to tell them
>> what was found by Spybot, etc. Quote: (Hello, Which item is found? What
>> is
>> it named? Best regards, Sandra, Team Spybot)
>>
>> I did and included "Snag It" captures, of what was displayed by Spybot,
>> at
>> the end of Scan, and what was displayed after clicking the Fix prompts,
>> and
>> the end results. That was the end of our e-mail contact as of 3 weeks
>> ago.
>>
>>> Spybot Support Forums
>>> http://forums.spybot.info/

Re: Favorites/Bookmarks Removal
You can delete folders and bookmarks here, if necessary: C:\Documents and
Settings\[username]\Favorites

WMB wrote:
> [...]
>> conclusions. In fact, using or having used RegCure may be responsible
>> for
>> your current issue, at least in part.
>>
>> WMB wrote:
>>> Thanks for the answer, PA Bear, but they wont help with clearing all
>>> Favorites/Bookmarks. For info - When I was removing Spybot S & D, I was
>>> prompted to tell why. I did, and was contacted within 48hrs to tell
>>> them
>>> what was found by Spybot, etc. Quote: (Hello, Which item is found? What
>>> is
>>> it named? Best regards, Sandra, Team Spybot)
>>>
>>> I did and included "Snag It" captures, of what was displayed by Spybot,
>>> at
>>> the end of Scan, and what was displayed after clicking the Fix prompts,
>>> and
>>> the end results. That was the end of our e-mail contact as of 3 weeks

WMB

Re: Favorites/Bookmarks Removal
Thanks, I'll try that. It may take a while but if the removal action does
correct the problem in Spybot I'll let the Group know. Thanks again.