IE 7 problem, maybe with enable add-ins?

Nick H

IE 7 problem, maybe with enable add-ins?
XP SP2 and IE7. I downloaded and installed IE7, and when it starts it says
that add-ins are disabled and it won't run. At Tools-Intenet Options, Manage
Add-Ins was grayed out. Through some research, I found an extension on the
file name in the shortcut that launched IE7 (it was "-extff" or something
like that) and deleted the-extension. Now I can access Tools-Intenet
Options-Manage Add-Ins, but it shows all the add-ins enabled. However, when
I launch IE7, I still get the page saying add-ins are disabled and it won't
run. Thanks for any help.

Re: IE 7 problem, maybe with enable add-ins?
Uninstall Google Toolbar, reboot & test.

Nick H wrote:
> XP SP2 and IE7. I downloaded and installed IE7, and when it starts it
> says
> that add-ins are disabled and it won't run. At Tools-Intenet Options,
> Manage Add-Ins was grayed out. Through some research, I found an
> extension
> on the file name in the shortcut that launched IE7 (it was "-extff" or
> something like that) and deleted the-extension. Now I can access
> Tools-Intenet Options-Manage Add-Ins, but it shows all the add-ins
> enabled.
> However, when I launch IE7, I still get the page saying add-ins are
> disabled and it won't run. Thanks for any help.

Nick H

Re: IE 7 problem, maybe with enable add-ins?
Thanks for your response; I tried this but nothing changed. Any other ideas?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Uninstall Google Toolbar, reboot & test.
>
> Nick H wrote:
> > XP SP2 and IE7. I downloaded and installed IE7, and when it starts it
> > says
> > that add-ins are disabled and it won't run. At Tools-Intenet Options,
> > Manage Add-Ins was grayed out. Through some research, I found an
> > extension
> > on the file name in the shortcut that launched IE7 (it was "-extff" or
> > something like that) and deleted the-extension. Now I can access
> > Tools-Intenet Options-Manage Add-Ins, but it shows all the add-ins
> > enabled.
> > However, when I launch IE7, I still get the page saying add-ins are
> > disabled and it won't run. Thanks for any help.

Re: IE 7 problem, maybe with enable add-ins?
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs! Ignore any "such and such may not work if..." prompts. Ignore
any references to Vista on the page.]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
~PA Bear