start menu does not pop up (vista64, IE8)

diewue

start menu does not pop up (vista64, IE8)
Hello,
after installation of IE8 i had the following problems:
- left mous click on start does not open the start menu
- right mouse click opens the start context menu but not completely filled
- left click on the status bar does not open the pop up

I uninstalled the IE8 with FixIt but the symtoms are the same now in IE7.

Operating system is Vista 64 Business SP1.

Re: start menu does not pop up (vista64, IE8)
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
and/or uninstalled IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

diewue wrote:
> Hello,
> after installation of IE8 i had the following problems:
> - left mous click on start does not open the start menu
> - right mouse click opens the start context menu but not completely filled
> - left click on the status bar does not open the pop up
>
> I uninstalled the IE8 with FixIt but the symtoms are the same now in IE7.
>
> Operating system is Vista 64 Business SP1.

diewue

Re: start menu does not pop up (vista64, IE8)
Hello PA Bear,
thank you for answering!
I do not have Problems with IE8 (as far as I know), but I have Problems with
my desktop, doesn't matter which login.

--> Since I installed IE8 I do not have a start menu, even if I not have
started IE8!
--> 1) I do nat have a IE desctop icon. As far as I know is this not
available in vista?!
--> 2) In RIES there are descriped other Problems .
--> 3) Boot in safe mode has the same problems. Also the Start button is
unvisible.
--> 4) No Norton or McAffe ever installed. Stopped AVG-Antivir causes no
difference.

Dieter

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> and/or uninstalled IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> diewue wrote:
> > Hello,
> > after installation of IE8 i had the following problems:
> > - left mous click on start does not open the start menu
> > - right mouse click opens the start context menu but not completely filled
> > - left click on the status bar does not open the pop up
> >
> > I uninstalled the IE8 with FixIt but the symtoms are the same now in IE7.
> >
> > Operating system is Vista 64 Business SP1.

Re: start menu does not pop up (vista64, IE8)
If the behavior persists after uninstalling IE8, I suspect that having
installed IE8 may have been merely a coincidence...unless your anti-virus
application and any other third-party security applictions, including a
third-party firewall, had been running in the background when you installed
and uninstalled IE8. If such is the case, see if selecting a Restore Point
which predates the install of IE8 corrects the problem.

diewue wrote:
> Hello PA Bear,
> thank you for answering!
> I do not have Problems with IE8 (as far as I know), but I have Problems
> with
> my desktop, doesn't matter which login.
>
> --> Since I installed IE8 I do not have a start menu, even if I not have
> started IE8!
> --> 1) I do nat have a IE desctop icon. As far as I know is this not
> available in vista?!
> --> 2) In RIES there are descriped other Problems .
> --> 3) Boot in safe mode has the same problems. Also the Start button is
> unvisible.
> --> 4) No Norton or McAffe ever installed. Stopped AVG-Antivir causes no
> difference.
>
> Dieter
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> and/or uninstalled IE8?
>>
>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> machine
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> diewue wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> after installation of IE8 i had the following problems:
>>> - left mous click on start does not open the start menu
>>> - right mouse click opens the start context menu but not completely
>>> filled
>>> - left click on the status bar does not open the pop up
>>>
>>> I uninstalled the IE8 with FixIt but the symtoms are the same now in
>>> IE7.
>>>
>>> Operating system is Vista 64 Business SP1.

diewue

Re: start menu does not pop up (vista64, IE8)
Hello PA Bear,
thank you for Your answer.
I decided to re-install vista64 on my computer.
Thank you