IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes

Frederick R. Hutchings

IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
XP Pro SP3 and XP Home SP3

I found some info on this mostly referring to the beta version, but it
didn't help much.

I have XP Home and XP Pro machines. The Home machine always shows 2
iexplore.exe processes, no matter how many tabs I have open. If I
understand one of the posts here, this is correct. The extra one for crash
protection.

The Pro machine starts out the same when I open my home page. 2
iexplore.exes. If I open another site on another tab, I get another
iexplore.exe. Same on another one for a total of 4. The next one doesn't
open another process. It leaves it at 4. The next one does and makes it 5.

If I close one of the sites, all 5 of the iexplore.exes still run. While
closing the sites, all 5 still run, until I close the last 1 (IE8, itself).
Then all iexplore.exe processes stop.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? Why don't Home and Pro work the
same? Please help.

Fred

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
Start here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx

Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
> XP Pro SP3 and XP Home SP3
>
> I found some info on this mostly referring to the beta version, but it
> didn't help much.
>
> I have XP Home and XP Pro machines. The Home machine always shows 2
> iexplore.exe processes, no matter how many tabs I have open. If I
> understand one of the posts here, this is correct. The extra one for
> crash
> protection.
>
> The Pro machine starts out the same when I open my home page. 2
> iexplore.exes. If I open another site on another tab, I get another
> iexplore.exe. Same on another one for a total of 4. The next one doesn't
> open another process. It leaves it at 4. The next one does and makes it
> 5.
>
> If I close one of the sites, all 5 of the iexplore.exes still run. While
> closing the sites, all 5 still run, until I close the last 1 (IE8,
> itself).
> Then all iexplore.exe processes stop.
>
> Is this the way it's supposed to work? Why don't Home and Pro work the
> same? Please help.
>
> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
Thanks. So, if I understood it correctly, my Home computer always only uses
2 processes because it has less memory and is slower and maybe other things.
My Pro machine can use it's extra resources to start new processes to make
it more reliable.

On my Pro machine, why did one of the sites I tried not start it's own
process?

Why are all the processes left running after some of the tabs are closed? I
often open up 5 tabs and then close all but 1 and leave it running. Will
the other processes ever close?

Fred

> Start here:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
>
> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>> XP Pro SP3 and XP Home SP3
>>
>> I found some info on this mostly referring to the beta version, but it
>> didn't help much.
>>
>> I have XP Home and XP Pro machines. The Home machine always shows 2
>> iexplore.exe processes, no matter how many tabs I have open. If I
>> understand one of the posts here, this is correct. The extra one for
>> crash
>> protection.
>>
>> The Pro machine starts out the same when I open my home page. 2
>> iexplore.exes. If I open another site on another tab, I get another
>> iexplore.exe. Same on another one for a total of 4. The next one
>> doesn't
>> open another process. It leaves it at 4. The next one does and makes it
>> 5.
>>
>> If I close one of the sites, all 5 of the iexplore.exes still run. While
>> closing the sites, all 5 still run, until I close the last 1 (IE8,
>> itself).
>> Then all iexplore.exe processes stop.
>>
>> Is this the way it's supposed to work? Why don't Home and Pro work the
>> same? Please help.
>>
>> Fred

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
Assuming this same behavior persists in your previous version if IE...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
> Thanks. So, if I understood it correctly, my Home computer always only
> uses
> 2 processes because it has less memory and is slower and maybe other
> things.
> My Pro machine can use it's extra resources to start new processes to make
> it more reliable.
>
> On my Pro machine, why did one of the sites I tried not start it's own
> process?
>
> Why are all the processes left running after some of the tabs are closed?
> often open up 5 tabs and then close all but 1 and leave it running. Will
> the other processes ever close?
>
> Fred

>> Start here:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
>>
>> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>>> XP Pro SP3 and XP Home SP3
>>>
>>> I found some info on this mostly referring to the beta version, but it
>>> didn't help much.
>>>
>>> I have XP Home and XP Pro machines. The Home machine always shows 2
>>> iexplore.exe processes, no matter how many tabs I have open. If I
>>> understand one of the posts here, this is correct. The extra one for
>>> crash
>>> protection.
>>>
>>> The Pro machine starts out the same when I open my home page. 2
>>> iexplore.exes. If I open another site on another tab, I get another
>>> iexplore.exe. Same on another one for a total of 4. The next one
>>> doesn't
>>> open another process. It leaves it at 4. The next one does and makes it
>>> 5.
>>>
>>> If I close one of the sites, all 5 of the iexplore.exes still run.
>>> While
>>> closing the sites, all 5 still run, until I close the last 1 (IE8,
>>> itself).
>>> Then all iexplore.exe processes stop.
>>>
>>> Is this the way it's supposed to work? Why don't Home and Pro work the
>>> same? Please help.
>>>
>>> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
Maybe it's OK. I waited longer and the iexplore.exe processes do close
after about a minute. It's also the same if I just close one. One of the
processes closes after about a minute.

After further investigation, it appears that the number of processes is not
exactly tied to the number of tabs. Right now I have 12 tabs open, and
there are 7 iexplore.exe processes running. Oh well, I'm not going to worry
about it, unless I see something else strange. Maybe that's just the way it
works.

Fred

> Assuming this same behavior persists in your previous version if IE...

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
>
> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>> Thanks. So, if I understood it correctly, my Home computer always only
>> uses
>> 2 processes because it has less memory and is slower and maybe other
>> things.
>> My Pro machine can use it's extra resources to start new processes to
>> make
>> it more reliable.
>>
>> On my Pro machine, why did one of the sites I tried not start it's own
>> process?
>>
>> Why are all the processes left running after some of the tabs are closed?
>> often open up 5 tabs and then close all but 1 and leave it running. Will
>> the other processes ever close?
>>
>> Fred

>>> Start here:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
Quite a bit depends on what website(s) are opened in each tab (and in each
tab in each IE window), Frederick.

Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
> Maybe it's OK. I waited longer and the iexplore.exe processes do close
> after about a minute. It's also the same if I just close one. One of the
> processes closes after about a minute.
>
> After further investigation, it appears that the number of processes is
> not
> exactly tied to the number of tabs. Right now I have 12 tabs open, and
> there are 7 iexplore.exe processes running. Oh well, I'm not going to
> worry
> about it, unless I see something else strange. Maybe that's just the way
> it
> works.
>
> Fred

>> Assuming this same behavior persists in your previous version if IE...
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>> shop.
>>
>> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>>> Thanks. So, if I understood it correctly, my Home computer always only
>>> uses
>>> 2 processes because it has less memory and is slower and maybe other
>>> things.
>>> My Pro machine can use it's extra resources to start new processes to
>>> make
>>> it more reliable.
>>>
>>> On my Pro machine, why did one of the sites I tried not start it's own
>>> process?
>>>
>>> Why are all the processes left running after some of the tabs are
>>> closed?
>>> often open up 5 tabs and then close all but 1 and leave it running.
>>> Will
>>> the other processes ever close?
>>>
>>> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
Yeah, I wondered about that. There may be all kinds of different
combinations that affect it.

One thing that always seems to happen, at least on my system, is that 1 tab
starts 2 processes, 2 tabs have 3, 3 tabs have 4, and 4 tabs still have 4
processes. The 4th one never starts a separate process. I have tried
several different sites and in different order.

It's beyond me. It seems to be putting up all the pages, though. I'm not
going to worry about it. As you said, it probably depends on a lot.

Fred

>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm

>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
>>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
>>>
>>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>>> shop.

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
I'd really only be concerned if you've closed all IE windows and still see
one or more instances of IEXPLORE.EXE running in Task Manager's Processes
tab after a minute or two.

Other things to try/diagnose the behavior include...

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
> Yeah, I wondered about that. There may be all kinds of different
> combinations that affect it.
>
> One thing that always seems to happen, at least on my system, is that 1
> tab
> starts 2 processes, 2 tabs have 3, 3 tabs have 4, and 4 tabs still have 4
> processes. The 4th one never starts a separate process. I have tried
> several different sites and in different order.
>
> It's beyond me. It seems to be putting up all the pages, though. I'm not
> going to worry about it. As you said, it probably depends on a lot.
>
> Fred

>> Quite a bit depends on what website(s) are opened in each tab (and in
>> each
>> tab in each IE window), Frederick.
>>
>> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>>> Maybe it's OK. I waited longer and the iexplore.exe processes do close
>>> after about a minute. It's also the same if I just close one. One of
>>> the
>>> processes closes after about a minute.
>>>
>>> After further investigation, it appears that the number of processes is
>>> not
>>> exactly tied to the number of tabs. Right now I have 12 tabs open, and
>>> there are 7 iexplore.exe processes running. Oh well, I'm not going to
>>> worry
>>> about it, unless I see something else strange. Maybe that's just the
>>> way
>>> it
>>> works.
>>>
>>> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
Thanks for the info PA Bear. I think I'm OK. They have always stopped
after about a minute.

Fred

> I'd really only be concerned if you've closed all IE windows and still see
> one or more instances of IEXPLORE.EXE running in Task Manager's Processes
> tab after a minute or two.
>
> Other things to try/diagnose the behavior include...
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>

> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>> Yeah, I wondered about that. There may be all kinds of different
>> combinations that affect it.
>>
>> One thing that always seems to happen, at least on my system, is that 1
>> tab
>> starts 2 processes, 2 tabs have 3, 3 tabs have 4, and 4 tabs still have 4
>> processes. The 4th one never starts a separate process. I have tried
>> several different sites and in different order.
>>
>> It's beyond me. It seems to be putting up all the pages, though. I'm
>> not
>> going to worry about it. As you said, it probably depends on a lot.
>>
>> Fred

>>> Quite a bit depends on what website(s) are opened in each tab (and in
>>> each
>>> tab in each IE window), Frederick.

Re: IE8 and Multiple iexplore.exe Processes
YW & thanks for your feedback.