IE7 Tab browsing - open new window option setting not working

Microsoft

IE7 Tab browsing - open new window option setting not working
When I use the TABS section of Internet Options to set whether links open in
a new window or a new tab nothing changes.

Originally it was set to open in a new window then I changed it to open in a
new tab. However, when I try to set it back to open in a new window the
change does not take effect even if I close IE7 and re-open it. Is there a
fix for this problem?

Re: IE7 Tab browsing - open new window option setting not working
posting to this newsgroup.

One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change(s) (upon reboot). These include
anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
anti-virus appliations & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the system protections.

Microsoft wrote:
> When I use the TABS section of Internet Options to set whether links open
> in
> a new window or a new tab nothing changes.
>
> Originally it was set to open in a new window then I changed it to open in
> new tab. However, when I try to set it back to open in a new window the
> change does not take effect even if I close IE7 and re-open it. Is there a
> fix for this problem?

Microsoft

Re: IE7 Tab browsing - open new window option setting not working

> posting to this newsgroup.

XP Pro w/service pack 3

> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
> applications may be disallowing the change(s) (upon reboot). These include

So how does one get around this problem?

Re: IE7 Tab browsing - open new window option setting not working
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup and avoid in-line replies.
Thank you.]

Assumming you just installed IE7, what anti-virus application or security
suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware
IE7 and/or SP3?

Assuming all is well with your install of IE7 (and that remains to be seen),
one would "get around this problem" by (1) disabling the real-time
protection(s), (2) changing any settings, (3) rebooting, and then (4)
re-enabling the real-time protection(s).

Microsoft wrote:
> XP Pro w/service pack 3
>
> So how does one get around this problem?

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
> applications may be disallowing the change(s) (upon reboot). These include
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
> anti-virus appliations & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
> Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
> etc.).
>
> Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
> Mode may not disable the system protections.
>
> Microsoft wrote:
>> When I use the TABS section of Internet Options to set whether links open
>> in a new window or a new tab nothing changes.
>>
>> Originally it was set to open in a new window then I changed it to open
>> in a
>> new tab. However, when I try to set it back to open in a new window the
>> change does not take effect even if I close IE7 and re-open it. Is there
>> fix for this problem?

Microsoft

Re: IE7 Tab browsing - open new window option setting not working
It turned out to be rather simple. The problem seems to have started after
installing the free version ad-aware 2008. I removed it, rebooted and presto
IE7 was back to normal.

> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
> replies. Thank you.]
>
> Assumming you just installed IE7, what anti-virus application or security
> suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE7 and/or SP3?

> Assuming all is well with your install of IE7 (and that remains to be
> seen), one would "get around this problem" by (1) disabling the real-time
> protection(s), (2) changing any settings, (3) rebooting, and then (4)
> re-enabling the real-time protection(s).
>
> Microsoft wrote:
>> XP Pro w/service pack 3
>>
>> So how does one get around this problem?

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
>> applications may be disallowing the change(s) (upon reboot). These
>> include
>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
>> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
>> anti-virus appliations & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
>> Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone
>> Alarm,
>> etc.).
>>
>> Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
>> Mode may not disable the system protections.
>>
>> Microsoft wrote:
>>> When I use the TABS section of Internet Options to set whether links
>>> open
>>> in a new window or a new tab nothing changes.
>>>
>>> Originally it was set to open in a new window then I changed it to open
>>> in a
>>> new tab. However, when I try to set it back to open in a new window the
>>> change does not take effect even if I close IE7 and re-open it. Is there
>>> fix for this problem?

Re: IE7 Tab browsing - open new window option setting not working
Thank you for the feedback.

The latest version is Ad-Aware AE. Have you tried that version yet?
Does/did disabling Ad-Aware Guard and/or Ad-Aware AE's Ad-Watch make any
difference?

Ad-Aware Support Forums
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/
--