IE7: wont start "Data Execution Protection" error

Beemer Biker

IE7: wont start "Data Execution Protection" error
IE7 will not start up, I get that Data Execution Prevent error. This
happened immediately after I enabled DEP in the iexplorer security panel. I
should never have done that, but it seemed a good thing at the time. The
DEP error panel suggests that I go to the control panel and add the
offending program to the exception.

I did that - Under SYSTEM is ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS and under ADVANCED is
PERFORMANCE and I selected Turn On DEP for all programs except those I
select. I browsed for Program (x86) Ineternet Explorer and added
iexplorer.exe to it.

Didnt make any difference, still fails.

IE7 64bit starts up OK and so does FF. I cannot always use 64bit IE7. I
went to IE7 64bit's security panel and do not see the same option "Prevent
Data Execution" so I cannot use the 64bit program to change the settings on
the 32bit IE7 program.

THIS IS TOTAL CRAP

I cannot debug my web projects in Visual Studio, neither "View in Browser"
work, nor can I hit F5 and run the debugger. The optoins in VS2008 for a
project are Use Firefox (works), Use IE7 (fails) or Use internal viewer
(fails)

THIS IS TOTAL CRAP.

Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

Re: wont start "Data Execution Protection" error
> Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

NO!!!

I'm going to forward your post to Windows 64-bit newsgroup for further
assistance. Maybe they'd like to guess your Windows version, too.

>> Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

> NO!!!
>
> I'm going to forward your post to Windows 64-bit newsgroup for further
> assistance. Maybe they'd like to guess your Windows version, too.

Thanks PA

here are two snapshots
http://swri.info/images/dep_error_2.png
http://swri.info/images/dep_error_1.png

I also tried rebooting.

It is possible that some type of addin is causing the problem but that is
just a guess. As shown in error_2 I did add the 32bit version of IE to the
DEP exclusion list, but it didnt help. I did go and set the default viewer
for VS2008 to "Internal Viewer" and observed that the problem still occured.
Setting the default to "Firefox" does work. There must be some registery
setting that controls the DEP for IE7 and the DEP in the control panel must
not have the same key. This is just a guess.

System: Vista-64 Home, SP1, McAfee 8.5 corporate, all patches, updaates,
antivirus, etc, all up to date and fully licensed.

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Beemer Biker wrote:
>> IE7 will not start up, I get that Data Execution Prevent error. This
>> happened immediately after I enabled DEP in the iexplorer security panel.
>> should never have done that, but it seemed a good thing at the time. The
>> DEP error panel suggests that I go to the control panel and add the
>> offending program to the exception.
>>
>> I did that - Under SYSTEM is ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS and under ADVANCED
>> is
>> PERFORMANCE and I selected Turn On DEP for all programs except those I
>> select. I browsed for Program (x86) Ineternet Explorer and added
>> iexplorer.exe to it.
>>
>> Didnt make any difference, still fails.
>>
>> IE7 64bit starts up OK and so does FF. I cannot always use 64bit IE7. I
>> went to IE7 64bit's security panel and do not see the same option
>> "Prevent
>> Data Execution" so I cannot use the 64bit program to change the settings
>> on
>> the 32bit IE7 program.
>>
>> THIS IS TOTAL CRAP
>>
>> I cannot debug my web projects in Visual Studio, neither "View in
>> Browser"
>> work, nor can I hit F5 and run the debugger. The optoins in VS2008 for a
>> project are Use Firefox (works), Use IE7 (fails) or Use internal viewer
>> (fails)
>>
>> THIS IS TOTAL CRAP.
>>
>> Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

Beemer Biker

Re: wont start "Data Execution Protection" error
Solved - Booted in safe mode, brought up IE7 (32 bit) and turned off the
buffer overflow check, then rebooted. Stopped giving me the Data Execution
Protection fatal error message. if I had not thought of that I would still
be using FF.

>> Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

> NO!!!
>
> I'm going to forward your post to Windows 64-bit newsgroup for further
> assistance. Maybe they'd like to guess your Windows version, too.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Beemer Biker wrote:
>> IE7 will not start up, I get that Data Execution Prevent error. This
>> happened immediately after I enabled DEP in the iexplorer security panel.
>> should never have done that, but it seemed a good thing at the time. The
>> DEP error panel suggests that I go to the control panel and add the
>> offending program to the exception.
>>
>> I did that - Under SYSTEM is ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS and under ADVANCED
>> is
>> PERFORMANCE and I selected Turn On DEP for all programs except those I
>> select. I browsed for Program (x86) Ineternet Explorer and added
>> iexplorer.exe to it.
>>
>> Didnt make any difference, still fails.
>>
>> IE7 64bit starts up OK and so does FF. I cannot always use 64bit IE7. I
>> went to IE7 64bit's security panel and do not see the same option
>> "Prevent
>> Data Execution" so I cannot use the 64bit program to change the settings
>> on
>> the 32bit IE7 program.
>>
>> THIS IS TOTAL CRAP
>>
>> I cannot debug my web projects in Visual Studio, neither "View in
>> Browser"
>> work, nor can I hit F5 and run the debugger. The optoins in VS2008 for a
>> project are Use Firefox (works), Use IE7 (fails) or Use internal viewer
>> (fails)
>>
>> THIS IS TOTAL CRAP.
>>
>> Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

Michael Mol

On Apr 6, 8:28*pm, "Beemer Biker" <jstate...@swri.edu> wrote:
> Solved *- *Booted in safe mode, brought up IE7 (32 bit) and turned off the
> buffer overflow check, then rebooted. *Stopped giving me the Data Execution
> Protection fatal error message. *if I had not thought of that I would still
> be using FF.

You realize that the DEP error was being caused by some piece of code
writing past the end of a buffer in IE? By disabling that buffer
overflow check, you've opened up a vulnerability that (by the context
of this thread, anyway), it looks like something was already trying to
exploit. (Even if your anti-virus is completely up-to-date as far as
available patches, it's possible you've encountered something new.)

And even if it wasn't malicious code, the fact that you're getting a
buffer overflow that's writing over pages flagged by DEP means
whatever is on your system is already modifying code executing as your
current user.

Re: wont start "Data Execution Protection" error
What Michael said.

Beemer Biker wrote:
> Solved - Booted in safe mode, brought up IE7 (32 bit) and turned off the
> buffer overflow check, then rebooted. Stopped giving me the Data
> Execution
> Protection fatal error message. if I had not thought of that I would
> still
> be using FF.

>>> Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

>> NO!!!
>>
>> I'm going to forward your post to Windows 64-bit newsgroup for further
>> assistance. Maybe they'd like to guess your Windows version, too.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Beemer Biker wrote:
>>> IE7 will not start up, I get that Data Execution Prevent error. This
>>> happened immediately after I enabled DEP in the iexplorer security
>>> panel.
>>> should never have done that, but it seemed a good thing at the time.
>>> The
>>> DEP error panel suggests that I go to the control panel and add the
>>> offending program to the exception.
>>>
>>> I did that - Under SYSTEM is ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS and under ADVANCED
>>> is
>>> PERFORMANCE and I selected Turn On DEP for all programs except those I
>>> select. I browsed for Program (x86) Ineternet Explorer and added
>>> iexplorer.exe to it.
>>>
>>> Didnt make any difference, still fails.
>>>
>>> IE7 64bit starts up OK and so does FF. I cannot always use 64bit IE7.
>>> went to IE7 64bit's security panel and do not see the same option
>>> "Prevent
>>> Data Execution" so I cannot use the 64bit program to change the settings
>>> on
>>> the 32bit IE7 program.
>>>
>>> THIS IS TOTAL CRAP
>>>
>>> I cannot debug my web projects in Visual Studio, neither "View in
>>> Browser"
>>> work, nor can I hit F5 and run the debugger. The optoins in VS2008 for
>>> project are Use Firefox (works), Use IE7 (fails) or Use internal viewer
>>> (fails)
>>>
>>> THIS IS TOTAL CRAP.
>>>
>>> Will downloading IE8 fix this problem?

Beemer Biker

Re: wont start "Data Execution Protection" error

Twas the google tool bar.
I disabled all add-in's then turned on memory protection and started
enableing addins until I hit the google toolbar which then caused the DEP
error. I do not use the google toolbar and it came in recenlty with either
a java JRE update or adobe or apple. I forget exactly whicb one. I have to
be quick to remember to uncheck it. McAfee used tell me it was virus (the
google toolbar) but I disabled that warming because it stopped the installe
of the code that I wanted.

"Michael Mol" <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 6, 8:28 pm, "Beemer Biker" <jstate...@swri.edu> wrote:
> Solved - Booted in safe mode, brought up IE7 (32 bit) and turned off the
> buffer overflow check, then rebooted. Stopped giving me the Data Execution
> Protection fatal error message. if I had not thought of that I would still
> be using FF.

You realize that the DEP error was being caused by some piece of code
writing past the end of a buffer in IE? By disabling that buffer
overflow check, you've opened up a vulnerability that (by the context
of this thread, anyway), it looks like something was already trying to
exploit. (Even if your anti-virus is completely up-to-date as far as
available patches, it's possible you've encountered something new.)

And even if it wasn't malicious code, the fact that you're getting a
buffer overflow that's writing over pages flagged by DEP means
whatever is on your system is already modifying code executing as your
current user.

Michael Mol

Re: wont start "Data Execution Protection" error
I've got the SUN JRE installed and up-to-date, as well as Safari and
iTunes installed and up-to-date (as of this morning, in fact). Google
Toolbar is nowhere on my system.

I would verify that your copy of Adobe software came from a legitimate
source. Cracked copies of such software frequently come bundled with
malware, which would explain why McAffee flagged it. And if you're
going to ignore virus warnings so that you can get software you want
to install, it doesn't really matter if your antivirus is up-to-date
or not.