IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?

Hugh Jeego

IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?
Just curious - when I open Internet Explorer 8 when it is not already open
on the machine at all, IE shows up twice in Task Manager automatically. Why
does it do that? I can only guess - and am probably wrong - that it is doing
so for the home page AND the unused TAB. If so, what a waste of processing
power THAT is!

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?
Hi
The second IE process is created to make Automatic Crash Recovery possible.
See:
IEBlog IE8 and Reliability:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
IE8 Beta 1 Whitepapers - Release Automatic Crash Recovery:
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Relea...e leaseId=582

More:
Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ewFeatures.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Hugh Jeego" <id@example.com> wrote in message
> Just curious - when I open Internet Explorer 8 when it is not already open
> on the machine at all, IE shows up twice in Task Manager automatically.

Why
> does it do that? I can only guess - and am probably wrong - that it is

doing
> so for the home page AND the unused TAB. If so, what a waste of processing
> power THAT is!

ju.c

Re: IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?
Can I get IE8 to not use more than one process? I've never
had IE crash and it wouldn't bother me if it did. Disabling
"Automatic Crash Recovery" did not work. Thanks.

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message news:#IZ9caRtJHA.4648@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> The second IE process is created to make Automatic Crash Recovery possible.
> See:
> IEBlog IE8 and Reliability:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
> IE8 Beta 1 Whitepapers - Release Automatic Crash Recovery:
> http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Relea...e leaseId=582
>
> More:
> Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ewFeatures.htm
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Hugh Jeego" <id@example.com> wrote in message
>> Just curious - when I open Internet Explorer 8 when it is not already open
>> on the machine at all, IE shows up twice in Task Manager automatically.

> Why
>> does it do that? I can only guess - and am probably wrong - that it is

> doing
>> so for the home page AND the unused TAB. If so, what a waste of processing
>> power THAT is!

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?
Hi,
It would have been more accurate for me to have said that the extra iexplore
processes are the result of Loosely Coupled IE- the feature which makes
crash recovery possible. So, disabling crash recovery still doesn't disable
the LCIE feature.

More at:
Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit- How do I improve my website and
add-ons:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ting.aspx#lcie

But, the extra iexplore process will be using much less memory than a window
or tab that's in use, displaying a page. There can't be a perceptible hit on
performance. I can't think of a reason to disable crash recovery, even if
that would eliminate the additional iexplore process.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Can I get IE8 to not use more than one process? I've never
> had IE crash and it wouldn't bother me if it did. Disabling
> "Automatic Crash Recovery" did not work. Thanks.

> > Hi
> > The second IE process is created to make Automatic Crash Recovery

possible.
> > See:
> > IEBlog IE8 and Reliability:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
> > IE8 Beta 1 Whitepapers - Release Automatic Crash Recovery:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Relea...e leaseId=582

> > More:
> > Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ewFeatures.htm

> > "Hugh Jeego" <id@example.com> wrote in message
> >> Just curious - when I open Internet Explorer 8 when it is not already

open
> >> on the machine at all, IE shows up twice in Task Manager automatically.

> > Why
> >> does it do that? I can only guess - and am probably wrong - that it is

> > doing
> >> so for the home page AND the unused TAB. If so, what a waste of

processing
> >> power THAT is!

Gary McFarlen

Same but different
I am having similar issues with IE locking up in a busy state. I did not have any problems with IE6 or IE7 in this regard. I did not update to IE8 when it was originally available. But once I did, I noticed erratic behavior. I uninstalled and reverted to IE7. Since the original IE8 install, etc. I have experienced daily IE hangs. I cannot close from task manager. I have to reboot my machine everyday several times because of this issue. Once IE consumes more than about 50MB of memory, it becomes flaky. I have run various spyware/av scans; I keep the hard drive cleaned and defragmented daily. I experience no issues with any other program. This originated with IE8 and I cannot find any substantive help via Microsoft's website or technet to address this issue. Even Bing finds nothing helpful. I am afraid I am looking at a complete drive wipe and reinstall. Might as well go to Windows 7 in the process. Is there a tool available to perform a complete IE purge? Maybe I could perform a clean IE reinstall on that basis. I have no doubt this is an IE issue.

Don Varnau wrote:

Re: IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?
04-Apr-09

Hi
The second IE process is created to make Automatic Crash Recovery possible.
See:
IEBlog IE8 and Reliability:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
IE8 Beta 1 Whitepapers - Release Automatic Crash Recovery:
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Relea...e leaseId=582

More:
Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ewFeatures.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Hugh Jeego" <id@example.com> wrote in message
Why
doing

Extending a TextBox Control in ASP.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...box-contr.aspx
Don Varnau

Re: Same but different
Hi,
Has this machine always been protected by an antivirus program or security
suite?

Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

<Gary McFarlen> wrote in message news:200910875519garymc@mcfarlen.com...
> I am having similar issues with IE locking up in a busy state. I did not

have any problems with IE6 or IE7 in this regard. I did not update to IE8
when it was originally available. But once I did, I noticed erratic
behavior. I uninstalled and reverted to IE7. Since the original IE8
install, etc. I have experienced daily IE hangs. I cannot close from task
manager. I have to reboot my machine everyday several times because of this
issue. Once IE consumes more than about 50MB of memory, it becomes flaky.
I have run various spyware/av scans; I keep the hard drive cleaned and
defragmented daily. I experience no issues with any other program. This
originated with IE8 and I cannot find any substantive help via Microsoft's
website or technet to address this issue. Even Bing finds nothing helpful.
I am afraid I am looking at a complete drive wipe and reinstall. Might as
well go to Windows 7 in the process. Is there a tool available to perform a
complete IE purge? Maybe I could perform a clean IE reinstall on that
basis. I have no doubt this is an IE issue.

> Don Varnau wrote:
>
> Re: IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?
> 04-Apr-09
>
> Hi
> The second IE process is created to make Automatic Crash Recovery

possible.
> See:
> IEBlog IE8 and Reliability:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
> IE8 Beta 1 Whitepapers - Release Automatic Crash Recovery:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Relea...e leaseId=582

> More:
> Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ewFeatures.htm

> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

> "Hugh Jeego" <id@example.com> wrote in message
> Why
> doing

> Extending a TextBox Control in ASP.NET

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...box-contr.aspx

GMCC

Re: Same but different
Sorry for not responding for such an extended time. I have been using IE
minimally and using Opera as much as possible. To answer your questions,

Yes, the computer has always been protected by a security suite. It has
been protected by Norton Internet Security for years. I also keep all of the
MS patches and updates installed including the MSRT monthly release. I have
used Spybot, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for addtional scans. I have turned
off add-ons, etc. If I use IE for awhile, the memory usage under task
manager, typically grows until it exceed 100 MB. Once beyond that point, I
can expect IE to freeze up at any given moment. My icon will display a
"busy" mode and IE will be unusable. I cannot close it out of task manager.
My only recourse is to physically power off the computer. If I attempt to
run the shutdown sequence the computer will go through its normal shutdown
sequence, slowly, and hang on "Closing network connections". I need to
either find a way to perform a complete removal of IE (all versions), or wipe
the drive and reinstall everything. I do not have these symptoms under Opera
or Firefox. And to repeat this all started when IE 8 first installed on the
machine. Since removed and still an issue with IE7. Very frustrating. I do
not experience this issue with any other machine that I use or support.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> [...]

> > Re: IE8 - why does it appear TWICE in Task Manager?
> > 04-Apr-09
> >
> > Hi
> > The second IE process is created to make Automatic Crash Recovery

> possible.
> > See:
> > IEBlog IE8 and Reliability:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
> > IE8 Beta 1 Whitepapers - Release Automatic Crash Recovery:
> >

> http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Relea...e leaseId=582
> >
> > More:
> > Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit:
> >

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ewFeatures.htm
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Hugh Jeego" <id@example.com> wrote in message
> > Why
> > doing
> >
> > EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice

rob^_^

Re: Same but different
Hi GM,

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, check "Enable automatic crash
recovery*"

If you have already checked this setting and your IE8 still continues to
hang then,

Are you developing a web site?

Can you identify when this is occurring? Is there a particular web site
where this occurs.

I have seen the exact same symptoms which occur when certain invalid markup
is used in web pages.

Regards.