IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies

BP

IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
I have used CCleaner for years up to IE7.
IE8 handles cookies differently, so to keep using CCleaner in IE8 all you
need to do is UNCHECK Index.date files.
Of course under Options => Cookies, keep the cookies you want to the right
pane.

Just thought I pass it on........

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not "date")
files in the first place?

BP wrote:
> I have used CCleaner for years up to IE7.
> IE8 handles cookies differently, so to keep using CCleaner in IE8 all you
> need to do is UNCHECK Index.date files.
> Of course under Options => Cookies, keep the cookies you want to the right
> pane.
>
> Just thought I pass it on........

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
Deleting the indexes is an old superstition going back to IE 5, if not
earlier. The idea was that Microsoft can 'spy' on you by reading through
the contents of index.dat. No one spotted Microsoft actually doing this,
and I am not aware of any exploit that does this. Nonetheless, the
advice persists.

Another idea behind deleting index.dat -- IIRC -- is that in its early
implementation, index.dat was not always updated when caches were
cleared, so it kept growing. This issue was fixed long ago, but the old
advice sometimes handed out is still with us. Programs like CCleaner
keep it alive.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not "date")
> files in the first place?
>
> BP wrote:
>> I have used CCleaner for years up to IE7.
>> IE8 handles cookies differently, so to keep using CCleaner in IE8 all you
>> need to do is UNCHECK Index.date files.
>> Of course under Options => Cookies, keep the cookies you want to the
>> right
>> pane.
>>
>> Just thought I pass it on........

BP

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
God didnít create Index.dat ... Mr. Microsoft did
..
Every time someone writes or asks or comments about something you donít like
or disagree with you, you have these smart-ASS answers.

For the people who use ccleaner up to and including IE7 that was a common
practice.
Sure it deletes it and it re-builds itself when you re-boot. Big friggn
deal.

I just used winspy in IE8 and I can read that Index.dat file and it shows
everywhere Iíve been on the Internet. Security my as...........
Have a nice day PAL!

> Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not "date")
> files in the first place?
>
> BP wrote:
>> I have used CCleaner for years up to IE7.
>> IE8 handles cookies differently, so to keep using CCleaner in IE8 all you
>> need to do is UNCHECK Index.date files.
>> Of course under Options => Cookies, keep the cookies you want to the
>> right
>> pane.
>>
>> Just thought I pass it on........

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
Can you name any malware that relies on the contents of index.dat?

Can you name any commercial software - other than forensic software
employed by law enforcement - that analyzes index.dat to provide
information to an employer, parent or spouse?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

BP wrote:
> God didnít create Index.dat ... Mr. Microsoft did
> .
> Every time someone writes or asks or comments about something you donít like
> or disagree with you, you have these smart-ASS answers.
>
> For the people who use ccleaner up to and including IE7 that was a common
> practice.
> Sure it deletes it and it re-builds itself when you re-boot. Big friggn
> deal.
>
> I just used winspy in IE8 and I can read that Index.dat file and it shows
> everywhere Iíve been on the Internet. Security my as...........
> Have a nice day PAL!

>> Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not "date")
>> files in the first place?
>>
>> BP wrote:
>>> I have used CCleaner for years up to IE7.
>>> IE8 handles cookies differently, so to keep using CCleaner in IE8 all you
>>> need to do is UNCHECK Index.date files.
>>> Of course under Options => Cookies, keep the cookies you want to the
>>> right
>>> pane.
>>>
>>> Just thought I pass it on........

BP

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
NO Case closed!

> Can you name any malware that relies on the contents of index.dat?
>
> Can you name any commercial software - other than forensic software
> employed by law enforcement - that analyzes index.dat to provide
> information to an employer, parent or spouse?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> BP wrote:
>> God didnít create Index.dat ... Mr. Microsoft did
>> .
>> Every time someone writes or asks or comments about something you donít
>> like or disagree with you, you have these smart-ASS answers.
>>
>> For the people who use ccleaner up to and including IE7 that was a common
>> practice.
>> Sure it deletes it and it re-builds itself when you re-boot. Big friggn
>> deal.
>>
>> I just used winspy in IE8 and I can read that Index.dat file and it shows
>> everywhere Iíve been on the Internet. Security my as...........
>> Have a nice day PAL!

>>> Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not "date")
>>> files in the first place?

bobster

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
Some users may not want their browsing "tracks" revealed, and index.dat
files do not get deleted when temporary internet files are deleted via the
"Internet Options/General/Browsing History" route. As you point out,
forensic software can easily reveal index.dat files.

I agree with your and PA Bear's opinion of CC Cleaner. There are simpler
ways of removing index.dat files such as
http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=P...Index.datSuite if one is
really feeling guilty or paranoid about their browsing habits.

BP wrote:
> God didnít create Index.dat ... Mr. Microsoft did
> .
> Every time someone writes or asks or comments about something you donít
> like
> or disagree with you, you have these smart-ASS answers.
>
> For the people who use ccleaner up to and including IE7 that was a common
> practice.
> Sure it deletes it and it re-builds itself when you re-boot. Big friggn
> deal.
>
> I just used winspy in IE8 and I can read that Index.dat file and it shows
> everywhere Iíve been on the Internet. Security my as...........
> Have a nice day PAL!

>> Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not "date")
>> files in the first place?
>>
>> BP wrote:
>>> I have used CCleaner for years up to IE7.
>>> IE8 handles cookies differently, so to keep using CCleaner in IE8 all
>>> you
>>> need to do is UNCHECK Index.date files.
>>> Of course under Options => Cookies, keep the cookies you want to the
>>> right
>>> pane.
>>>
>>> Just thought I pass it on........

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
If anyone thinks that deleting index.dat will shield them from a
forensic investigation...think again.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

bobster wrote:
> Some users may not want their browsing "tracks" revealed, and index.dat
> files do not get deleted when temporary internet files are deleted via the
> "Internet Options/General/Browsing History" route. As you point out,
> forensic software can easily reveal index.dat files.
>
> I agree with your and PA Bear's opinion of CC Cleaner. There are simpler
> ways of removing index.dat files such as
> http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=P...Index.datSuite if one is
> really feeling guilty or paranoid about their browsing habits.

> Can you name any malware that relies on the contents of index.dat?
>
> Can you name any commercial software - other than forensic software
> employed by law enforcement - that analyzes index.dat to provide
> information to an employer, parent or spouse?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> BP wrote:
>> God didnít create Index.dat ... Mr. Microsoft did
>> .
>> Every time someone writes or asks or comments about something you donít
>> like
>> or disagree with you, you have these smart-ASS answers.
>>
>> For the people who use ccleaner up to and including IE7 that was a common
>> practice.
>> Sure it deletes it and it re-builds itself when you re-boot. Big friggn
>> deal.
>>
>> I just used winspy in IE8 and I can read that Index.dat file and it shows
>> everywhere Iíve been on the Internet. Security my as...........
>> Have a nice day PAL!

>>> Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not "date")
>>> files in the first place?

Max Burke

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Why in God's name would you have CCleaner delete Index.dat (not
>> "date") files in the first place?

>> BP wrote:
>>> I have used CCleaner for years up to IE7.
>>> IE8 handles cookies differently, so to keep using CCleaner in IE8 all
>>> you
>>> need to do is UNCHECK Index.date files.
>>> Of course under Options => Cookies, keep the cookies you want to the
>>> right
>>> pane.
>>>
>>> Just thought I pass it on........

> Leonard Grey wrote:
> Deleting the indexes is an old superstition going back to IE 5, if not
> earlier. The idea was that Microsoft can 'spy' on you by reading through
> the contents of index.dat. No one spotted Microsoft actually doing this,
> and I am not aware of any exploit that does this. Nonetheless, the
> advice persists.
> Another idea behind deleting index.dat -- IIRC -- is that in its early
> implementation, index.dat was not always updated when caches were
> cleared, so it kept growing. This issue was fixed long ago, but the old
> advice sometimes handed out is still with us. Programs like CCleaner
> keep it alive.

Like it (CC) does for clearing the Pre-Fetch folder in XP you mean?
Supposedly to stop the Pre-Fetch folder wasting disk space and to 'speed
up/reduce boot time?'
It still does that unless the user stops that 'cleaning' option.

Re: IE8 & CCleaner password & cookies
What Leonard said.

PS: The now-plonked OP might wanna check out InPrivate browsing in IE8.