Re: IE7 failure after uninstalling IE8 (final version)

Re: IE7 failure after uninstalling IE8 (final version)
[Crossposted to IE General newsgroup]

Where to begin?...

Please confirm that you're currently running IE6, that SP3 is installed, and
that the machine is fully-patched at Windows Update (other than installing
IE7 or IE8)?

Was NIS 2009 running in the background when you installed/uninstalled IE8
and/or WinXP SP3? Are you aware that your version of NIS 2009 may not be
supported in IE8?

Did you (1) de-Immunize Spybot and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before you
installed/uninstalled IE8 and/or WinXP SP3?

Which was uninstalled first, Spybot or NIS 2009?[

Did you download/run the Norton Removal Tool after you'd uninstalled NIS
2009? Has NIS 2009 been reinstalled?

Did you (1) de-Immunize and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before you
uninstalled Spybot?
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E

floringeorge2001 wrote:
> On March 19, 2009 I have installed the final version of IE8 on my Windows
> XP
> Professional SP3 (Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop). Please note also that the SP
> 3
> was installed AFTER I previously installed IE7. There was no noticeable
> difference in terms of browsing speed and more over IE8 seemed to me too
> sophisticated. So I decided to uninstall it. THIS was the START of my
> problem. After I uninstalled [IE8?] the system reverted to an IE7 that was
> totally non-functional ( hang-up / freezing ) . I tried everything:
> uninstalling and reinstalling IE7, to uninstalling and reinstalling SP3
> (both in normal and safe mode) even under the guidance of a representative
> of Microsoft support representative in Romania to whom I granted remote
> access to my laptop. The same negative result was obtained when , as
> suggested by the Romanian Microsoft Support representative I uninstalled
> the Norton Internet Security 2009 and the Spybot Search and Destroy and I
> even performed a repair install of my Windows XP professional but
> everything was in vain. Now I am able to browse the Internet using IE6 .
> Therefore I am open to any suggestion that could bring IE7 to a functional
> state on my laptop.

floringeorge2001

Re: IE7 failure after uninstalling IE8 (final version)
The answers to your questions:

1. Until today I have been running IE6 with SP3 and all updates installed.
Today, out of curiosity, I tried to install again IE8 to see if it wil work
and..it did work. So , currently I am running IE8 + SP3 with all related
updates installed except for the " .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and
..NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847)" update.

2. The NIS 2009 was running in the background when I installed and
uninstalled IE8 with the WinXP SP3. I am not aware that NIS 2009 version may
not be
supported in IE8 and, in this respect, I think that the IE8 page on the
Microsoft website should have contain such warning regading the NIS 2009
incompatibility with IE8.

3. I did not (1) de-immunize Spybot and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before
I installed/uninstalled IE8 and/or WinXP SP3. I uninstalled first the NIS2009
and the the Spybot.

4. On March 19, when my problem occured, I did not download/run the Norton
Removal Tool after I uninstalled NIS. Today, after reading your post I have
run the Norton Removal Tool (while using the IE6) . I have not reinstalled
NIS 2009 so far.

5. I did not (1) de-Immunize and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before
uninstalling Spybot. Two days ago I remebered that the "restricted sites" tab
in the internet options contains bad sites loaded by the Spybot imunization.
I reinstalled Spybot and I did the de-immunization. Today , with no sites in
the "restricted sites" tab and after running the Norton removal tool I tried
to reinstall IE7 but the result was the same as the one in March 19: IE7
freez-up a few seconds after the Microsoft website page opened. (I set my
home page www.microsot.com)

Anyway I think that the IE8 page on Microsoft should contain such
recommendations as the ones described by you in your answer to my post.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> [Crossposted to IE General newsgroup]

> Where to begin?...
>
> Please confirm that you're currently running IE6, that SP3 is installed, and
> that the machine is fully-patched at Windows Update (other than installing
> IE7 or IE8)?
>
> Was NIS 2009 running in the background when you installed/uninstalled IE8
> and/or WinXP SP3? Are you aware that your version of NIS 2009 may not be
> supported in IE8?
>
> Did you (1) de-Immunize Spybot and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before you
> installed/uninstalled IE8 and/or WinXP SP3?
>
> Which was uninstalled first, Spybot or NIS 2009?[
>
> Did you download/run the Norton Removal Tool after you'd uninstalled NIS
> 2009? Has NIS 2009 been reinstalled?
>
> Did you (1) de-Immunize and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before you
> uninstalled Spybot?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E
>

> floringeorge2001 wrote:
> > On March 19, 2009 I have installed the final version of IE8 on my Windows
> > XP
> > Professional SP3 (Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop). Please note also that the SP
> > 3
> > was installed AFTER I previously installed IE7. There was no noticeable
> > difference in terms of browsing speed and more over IE8 seemed to me too
> > sophisticated. So I decided to uninstall it. THIS was the START of my
> > problem. After I uninstalled [IE8?] the system reverted to an IE7 that was
> > totally non-functional ( hang-up / freezing ) . I tried everything:
> > uninstalling and reinstalling IE7, to uninstalling and reinstalling SP3
> > (both in normal and safe mode) even under the guidance of a representative
> > of Microsoft support representative in Romania to whom I granted remote
> > access to my laptop. The same negative result was obtained when , as
> > suggested by the Romanian Microsoft Support representative I uninstalled
> > the Norton Internet Security 2009 and the Spybot Search and Destroy and I
> > even performed a repair install of my Windows XP professional but
> > everything was in vain. Now I am able to browse the Internet using IE6 .
> > Therefore I am open to any suggestion that could bring IE7 to a functional
> > state on my laptop.

Re: IE7 failure after uninstalling IE8 (final version)
> Anyway I think that the IE8 page on Microsoft should contain such
> recommendations as the ones described by you in your answer to my post.

I agree with you here (cf.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx).

If you did a Repair Install without having first uninstalled IE7 [1], which
in your case would have required first uninstalling SP3 [2], your only
option now is to format & reinstall Windows (AKA a clean install).

Best of luck & sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

==============
[1] How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
["Before you perform a repair installation of Microsoft Windows XP, you must
uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Internet Explorer 8 from
the Windows XP-based computer. If you perform a repair installation of
Windows XP when a later version of Internet Explorer is still installed,
Internet Explorer will not work after the repair is completed."]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

[2] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
--
~PA Bear

floringeorge2001 wrote:
> [...]

>>> problem. After I uninstalled [IE8?] the system reverted to an IE7 that
>>> was
>>> totally non-functional ( hang-up / freezing ) . I tried everything:
>>> uninstalling and reinstalling IE7, to uninstalling and reinstalling SP3
>>> (both in normal and safe mode) even under the guidance of a
>>> representative
>>> of Microsoft support representative in Romania to whom I granted remote
>>> access to my laptop. The same negative result was obtained when , as
>>> suggested by the Romanian Microsoft Support representative I uninstalled
>>> the Norton Internet Security 2009 and the Spybot Search and Destroy and
>>> even performed a repair install of my Windows XP professional but
>>> everything was in vain. Now I am able to browse the Internet using IE6 .
>>> Therefore I am open to any suggestion that could bring IE7 to a

floringeorge2001

Re: IE7 failure after uninstalling IE8 (final version)
Thanks, PA Bear, for the information. However I think that your suggestion
represents only a radical solution of last resort. What I really need is a
solution, maybe directly from Microsoft , that identifies and explains the
causes of the problem and provides also an easy solving of this problem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Crossposted to IE General newsgroup]

> >> Where to begin?...
> >>
> >> Please confirm that you're currently running IE6, that SP3 is installed,
> >> and that the machine is fully-patched at Windows Update (other than
> >> installing IE7 or IE8)?
> >>
> >> Was NIS 2009 running in the background when you installed/uninstalled IE8
> >> and/or WinXP SP3? Are you aware that your version of NIS 2009 may not be
> >> supported in IE8?
> >>
> >> Did you (1) de-Immunize Spybot and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before
> >> you
> >> installed/uninstalled IE8 and/or WinXP SP3?
> >>
> >> Which was uninstalled first, Spybot or NIS 2009?[
> >>
> >> Did you download/run the Norton Removal Tool after you'd uninstalled NIS
> >> 2009? Has NIS 2009 been reinstalled?
> >>
> >> Did you (1) de-Immunize and (2) disable Spybot Tea Timer before you

Mike Torello

floringeorge2001 <floringeorge2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks, PA Bear, for the information. However I think that your suggestion
>represents only a radical solution of last resort. What I really need is a
>solution, maybe directly from Microsoft , that identifies and explains the
>causes of the problem and provides also an easy solving of this problem.

Don't hold your breath.

Re: IE7 failure after uninstalling IE8 (final version)
I'd say KB917964 (see previous reply) explains what caused the problem
(i.e., doing a Repair Install without having first uninstalled IE7).

The only solution now is a clean install.

This is not new in Windows architecture: A Repair Install in WinME requires
uninstalling IE6 before proceeding. Similarly, a Repair Install in Win2K
requires (a) uninstalling any Service Packs that had been installed after
IE6 has been installed and then (b) uninstalling IE6 before proceeding.

Of course you could install an alternate brower as your default and continue
on your merry way but Windows will never work properly without a
fully-functional IE. And the only way for you to have a fully-functional IE
now is to "wipe & reload."

Again, best of luck to you.

PS: Please don't kill the messenger. <wink>
--
~PA Bear