Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8

Gary VanderMolen

Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
I'm starting to see a lot of complaints from Windows Mail users
who are unable to open attachments after installing the new IE8 browser.
I'm surprised this issue wasn't mentioned during IE8 beta testing.
Does anyone have a suggested fix?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
Are all of them running WLMail v14.0.8064.0206, Gary?

Is IE configured as the default browser?

Can't open any attachments or just certain attachments? What happens when
they try to open one of these attachments? Are the settings in WLMail Tools

Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> I'm starting to see a lot of complaints from Windows Mail users
> who are unable to open attachments after installing the new IE8 browser.
> I'm surprised this issue wasn't mentioned during IE8 beta testing.
> Does anyone have a suggested fix?

Eljayem

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
I too am having the same problem ever since I upgraded to IE8. Using Windows
Mail (Ver. 6.0.6000 (Vista_rtm.061101.2205) I am unable to open Office 2007
WORD, PPOINT and EXCEL documents ... I get the following message:
"The file could not be found. (C:\windows\system32\filename.doc).
Note, PSD and WMV files open without a problem.

Tks for yr help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are all of them running WLMail v14.0.8064.0206, Gary?
>
> Is IE configured as the default browser?
>
> Can't open any attachments or just certain attachments? What happens when
> they try to open one of these attachments? Are the settings in WLMail Tools
> | Options | Security properly configured?
>
> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> > I'm starting to see a lot of complaints from Windows Mail users
> > who are unable to open attachments after installing the new IE8 browser.
> > I'm surprised this issue wasn't mentioned during IE8 beta testing.
> > Does anyone have a suggested fix?

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
Make certain that Windows Mail is configured as the default in...

1. Default Programs (cf.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx)
and in...

2. Windows Mail :Tools | Options | General | Default Messaging Programs.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E

Eljayem wrote:
> I too am having the same problem ever since I upgraded to IE8. Using
> Windows Mail (Ver. 6.0.6000 (Vista_rtm.061101.2205) I am unable to open
> Office 2007 WORD, PPOINT and EXCEL documents ... I get the following
> message: "The file could not be found. (C:\windows\system32\filename.doc).
> Note, PSD and WMV files open without a problem.
>
> Tks for yr help.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are all of them running WLMail v14.0.8064.0206, Gary?
>>
>> Is IE configured as the default browser?
>>
>> Can't open any attachments or just certain attachments? What happens
>> when
>> they try to open one of these attachments? Are the settings in WLMail
>> Tools
>>> Options | Security properly configured?

>> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>>> I'm starting to see a lot of complaints from Windows Mail users
>>> who are unable to open attachments after installing the new IE8 browser.
>>> I'm surprised this issue wasn't mentioned during IE8 beta testing.
>>> Does anyone have a suggested fix?

Eljayem

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
01. Yes, Windows Mail IS configured as the default mail handler (in Windows
VISTA (Home Prem SP-1) and Windows Mail.

02. I use McAfee's Security Center ... All up-to-date, incldg:
SecCtr v:8.1.175, VirusScan v:12.1.110 (DAT's updtd yday), Firewall vL9.1.108.

03. Don't think that McAfee came preinstalled. I installed it through
COMCAST.

03. Above McAfee items WERE running in the background, when I downloaded
and installed IE8. Cud this be the "big oops"? How would one repair?

Tks agn,

LJM

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Make certain that Windows Mail is configured as the default in...
>
> 1. Default Programs (cf.
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx)
> and in...
>
> 2. Windows Mail :Tools | Options | General | Default Messaging Programs.
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E
>

> Eljayem wrote:
> > I too am having the same problem ever since I upgraded to IE8. Using
> > Windows Mail (Ver. 6.0.6000 (Vista_rtm.061101.2205) I am unable to open
> > Office 2007 WORD, PPOINT and EXCEL documents ... I get the following
> > message: "The file could not be found. (C:\windows\system32\filename.doc).
> > Note, PSD and WMV files open without a problem.
> >
> > Tks for yr help.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are all of them running WLMail v14.0.8064.0206, Gary?
> >>
> >> Is IE configured as the default browser?
> >>
> >> Can't open any attachments or just certain attachments? What happens
> >> when
> >> they try to open one of these attachments? Are the settings in WLMail
> >> Tools

Eljayem

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
Forgot ... I occassionally run Ad-Aware and did so on 25.Mar.09 (which I
believe was after I installed IE8).

LJM

"Eljayem" wrote:

> 01. Yes, Windows Mail IS configured as the default mail handler (in Windows
> VISTA (Home Prem SP-1) and Windows Mail.
>
> 02. I use McAfee's Security Center ... All up-to-date, incldg:
> SecCtr v:8.1.175, VirusScan v:12.1.110 (DAT's updtd yday), Firewall vL9.1.108.
>
> 03. Don't think that McAfee came preinstalled. I installed it through
> COMCAST.
>
> 03. Above McAfee items WERE running in the background, when I downloaded
> and installed IE8. Cud this be the "big oops"? How would one repair?
>
> Tks agn,
>
> LJM
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Make certain that Windows Mail is configured as the default in...
> >
> > 1. Default Programs (cf.
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx)
> > and in...
> >
> > 2. Windows Mail :Tools | Options | General | Default Messaging Programs.
> >
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> > subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> > applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> > Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> > IE8?
> >
> > Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E
> >

> > Eljayem wrote:
> > > I too am having the same problem ever since I upgraded to IE8. Using
> > > Windows Mail (Ver. 6.0.6000 (Vista_rtm.061101.2205) I am unable to open
> > > Office 2007 WORD, PPOINT and EXCEL documents ... I get the following
> > > message: "The file could not be found. (C:\windows\system32\filename.doc).
> > > Note, PSD and WMV files open without a problem.
> > >
> > > Tks for yr help.

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
AFAIK, no version of McAfee Security Center (freebie from your ISP?) or any
other McAfee application is supported in IE8 yet.

After first disabling (a) all components of McAfee Security Center & (b)
Ad-Aware's Guard and Ad-Watch** AND THEN (c) enabling the Windows Firewall,
uninstall IE8 & reboot twice afterwards.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

NB: Do NOT use System Restore to remove IE8!!

Once you've confirmed that your version of McAfee Security Center is
supported in IE8 (or after you've uninstalled it, run the McAfee Consumer
Products Removal tool, rebooted twice, and then installed an anti-virus
application/security suite that is supported in IE8), you might consider
reinstalling IE8 in the same environment in which you uninstalled it.

Good luck!

Eljayem wrote:
> 01. Yes, Windows Mail IS configured as the default mail handler (in
> Windows
> VISTA (Home Prem SP-1) and Windows Mail.
>
> 02. I use McAfee's Security Center ... All up-to-date, incldg:
> SecCtr v:8.1.175, VirusScan v:12.1.110 (DAT's updtd yday), Firewall
> vL9.1.108.
>
> 03. Don't think that McAfee came preinstalled. I installed it through
> COMCAST.
>
> 03. Above McAfee items WERE running in the background, when I downloaded
> and installed IE8. Cud this be the "big oops"? How would one repair?
>
> Tks agn,
>
> LJM
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Make certain that Windows Mail is configured as the default in...
>>
>> 1. Default Programs (cf.
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx)
>> and in...
>>
>> 2. Windows Mail :Tools | Options | General | Default Messaging Programs.
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE8?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E
>>

>> Eljayem wrote:
>>> I too am having the same problem ever since I upgraded to IE8. Using
>>> Windows Mail (Ver. 6.0.6000 (Vista_rtm.061101.2205) I am unable to open
>>> Office 2007 WORD, PPOINT and EXCEL documents ... I get the following
>>> message: "The file could not be found.
>>> (C:\windows\system32\filename.doc).
>>> Note, PSD and WMV files open without a problem.
>>>
>>> Tks for yr help.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
[cross-posting to the newsgroup microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail]

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23zrd1hCtJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Are all of them running WLMail v14.0.8064.0206, Gary?

No, this is for Windows Mail, the client that comes included with Vista.

> Is IE configured as the default browser?

Yes. Even resetting this in Default Programs has no effect.

> Can't open any attachments or just certain attachments? What happens when
> they try to open one of these attachments?

It affects all attachments. The typical error message is
"The file could not be found. (C:\windows\system32\...)
It's as though something is pointing to the wrong location for
temporary files.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

> Are the settings in WLMail Tools
> | Options | Security properly configured?
>
> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>> I'm starting to see a lot of complaints from Windows Mail users
>> who are unable to open attachments after installing the new IE8 browser.
>> I'm surprised this issue wasn't mentioned during IE8 beta testing.
>> Does anyone have a suggested fix?

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
Thanks for your input, PA Bear.
I'm cross-posting this to the newsgroup microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail,
so that more of the affected users will be clued in.

--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23J8TjaJtJHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> AFAIK, no version of McAfee Security Center (freebie from your ISP?) or any
> other McAfee application is supported in IE8 yet.
>
> After first disabling (a) all components of McAfee Security Center & (b)
> Ad-Aware's Guard and Ad-Watch** AND THEN (c) enabling the Windows Firewall,
> uninstall IE8 & reboot twice afterwards.
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> NB: Do NOT use System Restore to remove IE8!!
>
> Once you've confirmed that your version of McAfee Security Center is
> supported in IE8 (or after you've uninstalled it, run the McAfee Consumer
> Products Removal tool, rebooted twice, and then installed an anti-virus
> application/security suite that is supported in IE8), you might consider
> reinstalling IE8 in the same environment in which you uninstalled it.
>
> Good luck!
>

> Eljayem wrote:
>> 01. Yes, Windows Mail IS configured as the default mail handler (in
>> Windows
>> VISTA (Home Prem SP-1) and Windows Mail.
>>
>> 02. I use McAfee's Security Center ... All up-to-date, incldg:
>> SecCtr v:8.1.175, VirusScan v:12.1.110 (DAT's updtd yday), Firewall
>> vL9.1.108.
>>
>> 03. Don't think that McAfee came preinstalled. I installed it through
>> COMCAST.
>>
>> 03. Above McAfee items WERE running in the background, when I downloaded
>> and installed IE8. Cud this be the "big oops"? How would one repair?
>>
>> Tks agn,
>>
>> LJM
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Make certain that Windows Mail is configured as the default in...
>>>
>>> 1. Default Programs (cf.
>>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx)
>>> and in...
>>>
>>> 2. Windows Mail :Tools | Options | General | Default Messaging Programs.
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed
>>> IE8?
>>>
>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E

ElJay

Re: Windows Mail attachments won't open after installing IE8
Tks agn PA Bear! Really appreciate your help

Tip for Microsoft: Don't release new IE software when ya know its not going
to work with one of the most popular antivirus software packages.

LJM