IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed

Greg

IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed
I have installed IE8 on two PCs, a 32 bit Vista Ultimate notebook and a 64
bit Vista Ultimate desktop. IE8 works perfectly on the notebook. When I try
to open a new tab on the desktop pc, instead of opening to the about:Tabs
page, there is gibberish in the address bar and it says Page cannot be
displayed. Both installed copies are using the same tab option, namely, open
the new tab page. I've unistalled and reinstalled it on the desktop PC but
it still acts the same.

Not fatal obviously, but I wonder what is wrong and what else might be wrong
I have yet to discover.

Greg
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACF88AC3-8F49-4D9C-B411-3711FED1115E@microsoft.com...
>I have installed IE8 on two PCs, a 32 bit Vista Ultimate notebook and a 64
> bit Vista Ultimate desktop. IE8 works perfectly on the notebook. When I try
> to open a new tab on the desktop pc, instead of opening to the about:Tabs
> page,

> there is gibberish in the address bar and it says Page cannot be displayed.

Capture the contents of the Address bar and post them here if you would
like a different opinion about your "gibberish". It sounds as if you could
have an Address bar hijacking. E.g. something which was operating
transparently under IE7 has now become exposed by slight implementation
differences in IE8.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Both installed copies are using the same tab option, namely, open
> the new tab page. I've unistalled and reinstalled it on the desktop PC but
> it still acts the same.
>
> Not fatal obviously, but I wonder what is wrong and what else might be wrong
> I have yet to discover.
>
> Greg

Greg

Re: IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed
Here it is:

tbr:res?id=tabs&rep=1

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACF88AC3-8F49-4D9C-B411-3711FED1115E@microsoft.com...
> >I have installed IE8 on two PCs, a 32 bit Vista Ultimate notebook and a 64
> > bit Vista Ultimate desktop. IE8 works perfectly on the notebook. When I try
> > to open a new tab on the desktop pc, instead of opening to the about:Tabs
> > page,

> > there is gibberish in the address bar and it says Page cannot be displayed.

> Capture the contents of the Address bar and post them here if you would
> like a different opinion about your "gibberish". It sounds as if you could
> have an Address bar hijacking. E.g. something which was operating
> transparently under IE7 has now become exposed by slight implementation
> differences in IE8.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > Both installed copies are using the same tab option, namely, open
> > the new tab page. I've unistalled and reinstalled it on the desktop PC but
> > it still acts the same.
> >
> > Not fatal obviously, but I wonder what is wrong and what else might be wrong
> > I have yet to discover.
> >
> > Greg

Greg

Re: IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed
I had already tried that and it doesn't work any better without add-ons.

If I run the 64 bit IE8, the tabs work as they are supposed to. It is when
I run the 32 bit IE8 on my 64 bit vista that the problem occurs, and yes, I
have to run the 32 bit version because of the browser add-ons that don't work
in 64 bit.

"Steve Hebert" wrote:

> Does it work correctly if you run IE8 in no add-ons mode?
> Start, right click on the IE icon, select 'Browse Without Add-ons'
>
> Steve
>

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have installed IE8 on two PCs, a 32 bit Vista Ultimate notebook and a 64
> > bit Vista Ultimate desktop. IE8 works perfectly on the notebook. When I
> > try
> > to open a new tab on the desktop pc, instead of opening to the about:Tabs
> > page, there is gibberish in the address bar and it says Page cannot be
> > displayed. Both installed copies are using the same tab option, namely,
> > open
> > the new tab page. I've unistalled and reinstalled it on the desktop PC
> > but
> > it still acts the same.
> >
> > Not fatal obviously, but I wonder what is wrong and what else might be
> > wrong
> > I have yet to discover.
> >
> > Greg

Donald Anadell

>I had already tried that and it doesn't work any better without add-ons.
>
> If I run the 64 bit IE8, the tabs work as they are supposed to.

> It is when
> I run the 32 bit IE8 on my 64 bit vista that the problem occurs,

I don't use Vista so I know little about it, and even less about 64bit
versions. Having said that:

Does the following Registry Key in both the 32bit and 64bit Registry hive
have the same value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
String Value = Tabs
DATA Value = res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305097/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> and yes, I
> have to run the 32 bit version because of the browser add-ons that don't
> work
> in 64 bit.
>
> "Steve Hebert" wrote:
>
>> Does it work correctly if you run IE8 in no add-ons mode?
>> Start, right click on the IE icon, select 'Browse Without Add-ons'
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have installed IE8 on two PCs, a 32 bit Vista Ultimate notebook and a
>> >64
>> > bit Vista Ultimate desktop. IE8 works perfectly on the notebook. When
>> > try
>> > to open a new tab on the desktop pc, instead of opening to the
>> > about:Tabs
>> > page, there is gibberish in the address bar and it says Page cannot be
>> > displayed. Both installed copies are using the same tab option,
>> > namely,
>> > open
>> > the new tab page. I've unistalled and reinstalled it on the desktop PC
>> > but
>> > it still acts the same.
>> >
>> > Not fatal obviously, but I wonder what is wrong and what else might be
>> > wrong
>> > I have yet to discover.
>> >
>> > Greg

Greg

Re: IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed
Here is the text that appears in the adress bar:

tbr:res?id=tabs&rep=1

I already posted this once but it seems to have vanished.

Greg

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACF88AC3-8F49-4D9C-B411-3711FED1115E@microsoft.com...
> >I have installed IE8 on two PCs, a 32 bit Vista Ultimate notebook and a 64
> > bit Vista Ultimate desktop. IE8 works perfectly on the notebook. When I try
> > to open a new tab on the desktop pc, instead of opening to the about:Tabs
> > page,

> > there is gibberish in the address bar and it says Page cannot be displayed.

> Capture the contents of the Address bar and post them here if you would
> like a different opinion about your "gibberish". It sounds as if you could
> have an Address bar hijacking. E.g. something which was operating
> transparently under IE7 has now become exposed by slight implementation
> differences in IE8.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > Both installed copies are using the same tab option, namely, open
> > the new tab page. I've unistalled and reinstalled it on the desktop PC but
> > it still acts the same.
> >
> > Not fatal obviously, but I wonder what is wrong and what else might be wrong
> > I have yet to discover.
> >
> > Greg

Greg

Re: IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed
Running with no addons has no effect, still doesn't show the proper
about:Tabs page.

Oddly, 64 bit IE works properly, only 32 bit, whcih I have to use for most
of the add-ons has the problem.

Greg

I already posted this once before but my new posts seem to be disappearing.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACF88AC3-8F49-4D9C-B411-3711FED1115E@microsoft.com...
> >I have installed IE8 on two PCs, a 32 bit Vista Ultimate notebook and a 64
> > bit Vista Ultimate desktop. IE8 works perfectly on the notebook. When I try
> > to open a new tab on the desktop pc, instead of opening to the about:Tabs
> > page,

> > there is gibberish in the address bar and it says Page cannot be displayed.

> Capture the contents of the Address bar and post them here if you would
> like a different opinion about your "gibberish". It sounds as if you could
> have an Address bar hijacking. E.g. something which was operating
> transparently under IE7 has now become exposed by slight implementation
> differences in IE8.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > Both installed copies are using the same tab option, namely, open
> > the new tab page. I've unistalled and reinstalled it on the desktop PC but
> > it still acts the same.
> >
> > Not fatal obviously, but I wonder what is wrong and what else might be wrong
> > I have yet to discover.
> >
> > Greg

Greg

Re: IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed
I only see one entry, and don't understand 32 bit vs 64 bit hive. The entry
I see contains the correct value.

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had already tried that and it doesn't work any better without add-ons.
> >
> > If I run the 64 bit IE8, the tabs work as they are supposed to.

> > It is when
> > I run the 32 bit IE8 on my 64 bit vista that the problem occurs,

> I don't use Vista so I know little about it, and even less about 64bit
> versions. Having said that:
>

> Does the following Registry Key in both the 32bit and 64bit Registry hive
> have the same value:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
> String Value = Tabs
> DATA Value = res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305097/
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > and yes, I
> > have to run the 32 bit version because of the browser add-ons that don't
> > work
> > in 64 bit.
> >
> > "Steve Hebert" wrote:
> >
> >> Does it work correctly if you run IE8 in no add-ons mode?
> >> Start, right click on the IE icon, select 'Browse Without Add-ons'
> >>
> >> Steve

Greg

Re: IE8 new tab opens but always says page cannot be displayed
I searched and found another entry for AboutURLs under Wow6432Node, and it
had the wrong value for TAB. I changed it and all is well now. Thank you!

Greg

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had already tried that and it doesn't work any better without add-ons.
> >
> > If I run the 64 bit IE8, the tabs work as they are supposed to.

> > It is when
> > I run the 32 bit IE8 on my 64 bit vista that the problem occurs,

> I don't use Vista so I know little about it, and even less about 64bit
> versions. Having said that:
>

> Does the following Registry Key in both the 32bit and 64bit Registry hive
> have the same value:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
> String Value = Tabs
> DATA Value = res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305097/
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > and yes, I
> > have to run the 32 bit version because of the browser add-ons that don't
> > work
> > in 64 bit.
> >
> > "Steve Hebert" wrote:
> >
> >> Does it work correctly if you run IE8 in no add-ons mode?
> >> Start, right click on the IE icon, select 'Browse Without Add-ons'
> >>
> >> Steve

Donald Anadell

news8DC6746-F70B-4518-826C-734424FDFC79@microsoft.com...
>I searched and found another entry for AboutURLs under Wow6432Node, and it
> had the wrong value for TAB. I changed it and all is well now. Thank
> you!

Your welcome Greg, glad you were able to sort it out.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell