IE7 False recognition as Internet Explorer 6

KevenM

IE7 False recognition as Internet Explorer 6
I run a basic Joomla site that has a notification that shows up if the user
is using IE6 or lower, but recently, a client advised me that he received the
notification, but that he's using IE7 - specifically, 7.05730.11

Any ideas why this would happen? I've had three other people test it out
using IE7, and the notice does not appear for them.

Thanks,

Keven
VanguardLH

Re: IE7 False recognition as Internet Explorer 6
KevenM wrote:

> I run a basic Joomla site that has a notification that shows up if the user
> is using IE6 or lower, but recently, a client advised me that he received the
> notification, but that he's using IE7 - specifically, 7.05730.11
>
> Any ideas why this would happen? I've had three other people test it out
> using IE7, and the notice does not appear for them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keven

What user-agent string is the user's web browser using? Have them visit
a web site that shows their user-agent string (if you aren't capable of
showing it back to the user - which you should be doing, anyway, when
you reject them based on that criteria).
Don Varnau

Re: IE7 False recognition as Internet Explorer 6
Hi,
The user may be running a firewall or other security program which prevents
the site from reading user agent information. The user should be looking for
a feature such as private header info, browser privacy, etc.

The user could also try running the appropriate script from
http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx to overwrite the user agent string.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]