IE8 won't start

valiantheart

IE8 won't start
I tried installing IE8 last week. I had no trouble DLing or installing it but
when I went to run it it would not load up at all.

Luckily I was able to uninstall it and go back to IE7.

I tried everything a few things to see if it would run like loading it up
without add-ons and rseting my internet options and deleting all my temporary
files but none of that worked.

I'm using XP sp3 and I have been using IE7 all this time.
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 won't start
Hi,
1. Did you try a blank homepage?

2. Third-party firewalls, antivirus, antispyware programs should be disabled
when installing Internet Explorer. If they are not, a corrupted installation
could result. Were any such programs running during the installation?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"valiantheart" <valiantheart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried installing IE8 last week. I had no trouble DLing or installing it

but
> when I went to run it it would not load up at all.
>
> Luckily I was able to uninstall it and go back to IE7.
>
> I tried everything a few things to see if it would run like loading it up
> without add-ons and rseting my internet options and deleting all my

temporary
> files but none of that worked.
>
> I'm using XP sp3 and I have been using IE7 all this time.

valiantheart

Re: IE8 won't start
Don,

1) Yeah, my homepage was blank. For some reason I like to leave my home page
blank. Always have.

2) Yes, my firewall and AV progs were disabled at the time of instalation.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried was to try installing in
safe mode. I may do that today.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> 1. Did you try a blank homepage?
>
> 2. Third-party firewalls, antivirus, antispyware programs should be disabled
> when installing Internet Explorer. If they are not, a corrupted installation
> could result. Were any such programs running during the installation?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "valiantheart" <valiantheart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I tried installing IE8 last week. I had no trouble DLing or installing it

> but
> > when I went to run it it would not load up at all.
> >
> > Luckily I was able to uninstall it and go back to IE7.
> >
> > I tried everything a few things to see if it would run like loading it up
> > without add-ons and rseting my internet options and deleting all my

> temporary
> > files but none of that worked.
> >
> > I'm using XP sp3 and I have been using IE7 all this time.

valiantheart

Re: IE8 won't start
I just tried to install IE8 again in Safe mode and it works in safe mode but
not on a normal startup.

I even tried disabling everything I added to IE7, like toolbars and such,
which didn't work either.
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 won't start
Hi,
Then a program which doesn't load in Safe Mode is causing the problem.
Disable startup programs (Start> Run> msconfig> Startup tab) until you find
the guilty party.

> Don,
>
> 1) Yeah, my homepage was blank. For some reason I like to leave my home

page
> blank. Always have.
>
> 2) Yes, my firewall and AV progs were disabled at the time of instalation.
>
> The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried was to try installing

in
> safe mode. I may do that today.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > 1. Did you try a blank homepage?
> >
> > 2. Third-party firewalls, antivirus, antispyware programs should be

disabled
> > when installing Internet Explorer. If they are not, a corrupted

installation
> > could result. Were any such programs running during the installation?

> > "valiantheart" <valiantheart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I tried installing IE8 last week. I had no trouble DLing or installing

it
> > but
> > > when I went to run it it would not load up at all.
> > >
> > > Luckily I was able to uninstall it and go back to IE7.
> > >
> > > I tried everything a few things to see if it would run like loading it

up
> > > without add-ons and rseting my internet options and deleting all my

> > temporary
> > > files but none of that worked.
> > >
> > > I'm using XP sp3 and I have been using IE7 all this time.

valiantheart

Re: IE8 won't start
I eventually found out what the problem was, and I figured I would post it so
it may be of use to someone else with the same problem.

I use Iolo System Mechanic Pro to maintain my system and a file that is part
of the firewall conflicts with IE8 and prevents it from running.

I had bought a new harddrive last week and backed up any important stuff and
then I wiped my HD and did a clean install of XP. Once I had my system fully
updated I made an image back up in case something goes wrong.

When I installed IE8 it started up ok.

When I reinstalled the Iolo program I was no longer able to use IE8.
Uninstalling Iolo allowed me to get on IE8 again, so there is the problem. I
contacted Iolo about it and recieved a solution within an hour (kudos to
them, although since an update was released since IE8 came out this should
have been changed already). Anyway I will include a copy of the solution they
sent me in the bottom of this post.

Alas my story doesn't have a happy ending. IE8 looks nice and initially I
liked it but it freezes up way too much. I can't even get my email without it
crashing on me, and that's pretty bad when you have a fresh copy of Xp on
your PC. I couldn't even watch any videos online at first because IE8 would
not play them for some reason (but firefox would). Took me 2 hours to fix it.
Maybe it's a problem with my add ons...

Anyway, here is the solution I was given. Very easy and took me not even 5
minutes to do(I was expecting something more involved lol)

1. Please restart your computer in Windows Safe Mode.
2. Once booted, please navigate to the folder C:\Program
Files\iolo\Common\Lib.

3. Right-click on the file named ioloHL.dll and select Rename.

4. Rename the file with an underscore in front of it (Shift - on the
keyboard)

5. Example: _ioloHL.dll

6. Restart your system normally and try your browser(Internet Explorer 8).