IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files

conehead

IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
Since I installed IE8, I get large numbers of wbkxxx.tmp files in my temp
folder. These are never cleared out. Is there some way to fix this?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files

"conehead" <conehead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB58E1FE-38FE-4C89-B6B5-79FD859E2C8C@microsoft.com...
> Since I installed IE8, I get large numbers of wbkxxx.tmp files in my temp
> folder. These are never cleared out. Is there some way to fix this?

Close all instances of IE, OE, WM and WLMail.
Then Run... control.exe inetcpl.cpl and use the Delete... button
to delete the TIF.

BTW always post your OS when you are requesting help.
E.g. you may need to do this as an Administrator, in which case
you would have to find the user's TIF and delete it manually.
One way to do that would be to boot in cmd only as an Administrator
and then use cd and rd commands.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Steve Cohen

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
I am not talking about Temporary Internet Files, if that is what you mean by
TIF.

I am talking about .tmp files in my Temp folder with the filename starting
with wbk and a .tmp extension.

I am running Windows XP SP2.

--

Steve
"conehead" <conehead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since I installed IE8, I get large numbers of wbkxxx.tmp files in my temp
> folder. These are never cleared out. Is there some way to fix this?

Steve Hebert

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
These are usually created by Outlook Express, not IE. Do you use OE? Does
the windows cleanup utility not clean them out?

Steve

"Steve Cohen" <conehead(NOSPAM)@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am not talking about Temporary Internet Files, if that is what you mean
>by TIF.
>
> I am talking about .tmp files in my Temp folder with the filename starting
> with wbk and a .tmp extension.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP2.
>
> --
>

> Steve
> "conehead" <conehead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Since I installed IE8, I get large numbers of wbkxxx.tmp files in my temp
>> folder. These are never cleared out. Is there some way to fix this?

LbL!

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
Ahhh, at last i found something about this annoying behaviour of Outlook
Express!

What do to about it ??

My TEMP dir fills up with such WBK###.TMP files, and i can read them in
Notepad and see that they are mails just read by me in OE6.

Is there something to do about this, i think it started after I installed
IE8 ?!

/LbL!

"Steve Hebert" wrote:

> These are usually created by Outlook Express, not IE. Do you use OE? Does
> the windows cleanup utility not clean them out?
>
> Steve
>
> "Steve Cohen" <conehead(NOSPAM)@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I am not talking about Temporary Internet Files, if that is what you mean
> >by TIF.
> >
> > I am talking about .tmp files in my Temp folder with the filename starting
> > with wbk and a .tmp extension.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP SP2.
> >
> > --
> >

> > Steve
> > "conehead" <conehead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Since I installed IE8, I get large numbers of wbkxxx.tmp files in my temp
> >> folder. These are never cleared out. Is there some way to fix this?

Steve Hebert

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
Have you tried running the Windows disk cleanup tool? Start, Run, cleanmgr,
OK

Steve

"LbL!" <LbL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ahhh, at last i found something about this annoying behaviour of Outlook
> Express!
>
> What do to about it ??
>
> My TEMP dir fills up with such WBK###.TMP files, and i can read them in
> Notepad and see that they are mails just read by me in OE6.
>
> Is there something to do about this, i think it started after I installed
> IE8 ?!
>
> /LbL!
>

> "Steve Hebert" wrote:
>
>> These are usually created by Outlook Express, not IE. Do you use OE?
>> Does
>> the windows cleanup utility not clean them out?
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> "Steve Cohen" <conehead(NOSPAM)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> >I am not talking about Temporary Internet Files, if that is what you
>> >mean
>> >by TIF.
>> >
>> > I am talking about .tmp files in my Temp folder with the filename
>> > starting
>> > with wbk and a .tmp extension.
>> >
>> > I am running Windows XP SP2.
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> > Steve

LbL!

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
And what does that help - i can DELete them all manually, but that's not what
i want to have to do all the time from now on, just due to IE8 ...

I want to get rid of them, once and for all, of course!

"Steve Hebert" wrote:

> Have you tried running the Windows disk cleanup tool? Start, Run, cleanmgr,
> OK
>
> Steve
>

> "LbL!" <LbL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ahhh, at last i found something about this annoying behaviour of Outlook
> > Express!
> >
> > What do to about it ??
> >
> > My TEMP dir fills up with such WBK###.TMP files, and i can read them in
> > Notepad and see that they are mails just read by me in OE6.
> >
> > Is there something to do about this, i think it started after I installed
> > IE8 ?!
> >
> > /LbL!
> >

> > "Steve Hebert" wrote:
> >
> >> These are usually created by Outlook Express, not IE. Do you use OE?
> >> Does
> >> the windows cleanup utility not clean them out?
> >>
> >> Steve

BettieM

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
I'm so glad that this subject has been brought up. Since installing IE8, I've
had to manually delete these annoying files after each session. It is VERY
frustrating, to the extent that I wish I had NEVER installed IE8.

I don't want to abandon OE6. How on earth did MS miss this bug and why are
they now being silent on how to prevent its symptoms?

Surely they MUST issue a patch, and quickly.

"LbL!" wrote:

> And what does that help - i can DELete them all manually, but that's not what
> i want to have to do all the time from now on, just due to IE8 ...
>
> I want to get rid of them, once and for all, of course!
>

> "Steve Hebert" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried running the Windows disk cleanup tool? Start, Run, cleanmgr,
> > OK
> >
> > Steve
> >

> > "LbL!" <LbL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Ahhh, at last i found something about this annoying behaviour of Outlook
> > > Express!
> > >
> > > What do to about it ??
> > >
> > > My TEMP dir fills up with such WBK###.TMP files, and i can read them in
> > > Notepad and see that they are mails just read by me in OE6.
> > >
> > > Is there something to do about this, i think it started after I installed
> > > IE8 ?!
> > >
> > > /LbL!

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files
Run Disk Cleanup.

BettieM wrote:
> I'm so glad that this subject has been brought up. Since installing IE8,
> I've had to manually delete these annoying files after each session. It is
> VERY frustrating, to the extent that I wish I had NEVER installed IE8.
>
> I don't want to abandon OE6. How on earth did MS miss this bug and why are
> they now being silent on how to prevent its symptoms?
>
> Surely they MUST issue a patch, and quickly.
>
> "LbL!" wrote:
>
>> And what does that help - i can DELete them all manually, but that's not
>> what i want to have to do all the time from now on, just due to IE8 ...
>>
>> I want to get rid of them, once and for all, of course!
>>

>> "Steve Hebert" wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried running the Windows disk cleanup tool? Start, Run,
>>> cleanmgr, OK
>>>
>>> Steve

deercroft

Re: IE8 and wbkxxx.tmp files

Glad that someone else is experiencing this. Can't believe there isn't a
solution to this yet. I have been manually deleting these wbk####.tmp files
for months on my desktop.

I have a similar setup on my notebook but no wbk####.tmp files accumulate in
the temp directory.

Hopefully someone will solve the riddle soon.

This also started for me with the installation of Internet Explorer 8 RC1 .
.. .