Re: IE7 - home button drop down bypasses GP lockout

Coloradojoe

Re: IE7 - home button drop down bypasses GP lockout
This works, but only if you have just 1 homepage.
If you have multiple tabs it wont work.
GPedit only allows 1 page

So what i would like to know, is there a way to turn of the dropdown
function of the home button. A classic home buttom - that has only one
function...to go home (or in this case , homes)

or

is there some way to get gpedit to allow you to type in multiple homepages?
thanks
joe

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> GPEDIT.MSC appears to lock in the chosen homepage and lock out changes for
> me.
>
> From gpedit.msc> User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows
> Components> (double-click) Internet Explorer> Disable changing homepage
> settings> "Enabled" and specify a homepage.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Chad H" <ChadH[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For our site we lock out homepage changes which I can see in internet

> options
> > OK. The kicker is I (or the user) will be able use the home button on the
> > command bar of IE to add/remove single homepages (including the one that
> > should NOT be delete-able). I would like to intro the tabbed browsing to
> > users and not gp them out. And I like the home button but despise the

> drop
> > down arrow on it (all I need is simple "take me back to the homepage"
> > function). I tried tweaking button settings (show/no show) and also
> > disabling customize buttons so if the button were missing then it could

> not
> > be placed back but have not had much success ever with the GP for button
> > show/no show config.
> >
> > Challenge: How can I keep the home button on the command bar while
> > following the restriction of -- no changes to the homepage via inet

> options
> > ANNNNDD no changes via the homepage button dropdown on the command bar?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Robert Aldwinckle

"Coloradojoe" <Coloradojoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F067849-71EE-453E-861D-8545DC91B9B5@microsoft.com...
> This works, but only if you have just 1 homepage.
> If you have multiple tabs it wont work.

> GPedit only allows 1 page

Why not create your own .adm file then which allows more than 1 page?

> So what i would like to know, is there a way to turn of the dropdown
> function of the home button. A classic home buttom - that has only one
> function...to go home (or in this case , homes)

You would have to Run... ProcMon to see if there are any Policies values
tested when you use it. Then figure out if the is already a script which
sets that or whether you would need to create one yourself.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---