Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2009
JCE
 

Posts: n/a
IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?
Hi,

I installed IE8 on two different computers ( Notebook / Desktop ) and I just
notice, I can't right-click on any web site or picture. The right-click menu
does not come up at all. Not on any web page. In other words, the
right-click-menu is totally gone !!! I can't go to a web site, right click a
picture and save it to disk !!!

Is this some sort of security settings or some other setting ? I checked all
the options, but can't find anything about it.

PS: Both computers are virus, spy and adware FREE !!! ( checked with several
different programs )

Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping.

JCE

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2009
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?
Hi,
1. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
For troubleshooting information see:
928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

2. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

3. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
solution.
- -
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JCE" <njb1NOSPAM@jumpingcholla.com> wrote in message
news:%23t8FFQ8sJHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I installed IE8 on two different computers ( Notebook / Desktop ) and I

just
> notice, I can't right-click on any web site or picture. The right-click

menu
> does not come up at all. Not on any web page. In other words, the
> right-click-menu is totally gone !!! I can't go to a web site, right click

a
> picture and save it to disk !!!
>
> Is this some sort of security settings or some other setting ? I checked

all
> the options, but can't find anything about it.
>
> PS: Both computers are virus, spy and adware FREE !!! ( checked with

several
> different programs )
>
> Any idea would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for helping.
>
> JCE


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2009
JCE
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?
Hi,

thanks for your reply !! Yes, it was a Add-on which caused the problem.

Thanks for your help,

JCE


"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
news:%23cFjtF%23sJHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> 1. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
> For troubleshooting information see:
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an
> add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> More at:
> Problem: Crashes or hangs
> http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
>
> 2. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party
> program
> as the cause.
> 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
> Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
>
> 3. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
> installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
> installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
> solution.
> - -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "JCE" <njb1NOSPAM@jumpingcholla.com> wrote in message
> news:%23t8FFQ8sJHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed IE8 on two different computers ( Notebook / Desktop ) and I

> just
>> notice, I can't right-click on any web site or picture. The right-click

> menu
>> does not come up at all. Not on any web page. In other words, the
>> right-click-menu is totally gone !!! I can't go to a web site, right
>> click

> a
>> picture and save it to disk !!!
>>
>> Is this some sort of security settings or some other setting ? I checked

> all
>> the options, but can't find anything about it.
>>
>> PS: Both computers are virus, spy and adware FREE !!! ( checked with

> several
>> different programs )
>>
>> Any idea would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks for helping.
>>
>> JCE

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2009
Rob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?

I have had the same problems on three XP-PRO workstations, after
installing Norton Antivirus 2009 (not Internet Security), followed by
installation of IE 8 as a Windows Cirtical Update.

Right-click context menus for save, copy, delete, paste, as well as
shortcut keys CTRL-C,D, V, X, etc. all stopped working or resulted in
error messages.

After 9 hours over 2 days with Microsoft Tech Support, during which we
uninstalled IE8 and other updates back to an including service pack 3,
we found that the problems could be made to disappear by uninstalling
NAV 2009. The theory was that IE8 didn't anticipate that Symantec might
have done anything to the systems, and that installing IE8 first,
followed by IE8 would solve the matter.

It did -- on all 3 systems. However, today, one of the 3 reverted to
the original problems again. On that system, I've done only two things:
run the integrated XP backup program and adjusted some of the options
under IE8 Tools/Internet Options.

It wold be nice to assume that something in the IE8 Internet Options is
causing the problems however, by again removing NAV 2009 they go away.

Anybody with further information or suggestions?

Rob


--
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

Fully updated via LiveUpdate, NAV 2009 should be fully compatible with your
OS and IE8. However, NAV should ALWAYS be temporarily disabled prior to
installing a Windows Service Pack or an IE upgrade.

NB: If any of the machines ever had an earlier Norton application installed
(including a free-trial preinstalled when the machine was purchased), things
get more complicated. Ditto if you upgraded from, e.g., NAV 2005 to NAV
2009.

Rob wrote:
> I have had the same problems on three XP-PRO workstations, after
> installing Norton Antivirus 2009 (not Internet Security), followed by
> installation of IE 8 as a Windows Cirtical Update.
>
> Right-click context menus for save, copy, delete, paste, as well as
> shortcut keys CTRL-C,D, V, X, etc. all stopped working or resulted in
> error messages.
>
> After 9 hours over 2 days with Microsoft Tech Support, during which we
> uninstalled IE8 and other updates back to an including service pack 3,
> we found that the problems could be made to disappear by uninstalling
> NAV 2009. The theory was that IE8 didn't anticipate that Symantec might
> have done anything to the systems, and that installing IE8 first,
> followed by IE8 would solve the matter.
>
> It did -- on all 3 systems. However, today, one of the 3 reverted to
> the original problems again. On that system, I've done only two things:
> run the integrated XP backup program and adjusted some of the options
> under IE8 Tools/Internet Options.
>
> It wold be nice to assume that something in the IE8 Internet Options is
> causing the problems however, by again removing NAV 2009 they go away.
>
> Anybody with further information or suggestions?


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2009
Rob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?

PA BeAR -- are you actually an employee of Microsoft or, if not, what
does "MS MVP" really mean?

I am not posting a "new issue", merely responding to the person who has
had a problem similar to mine. And -- if you use your own IE8 browser to
look around a little -- you'll find that there are a lot of us with the
same problem. If you want incident and session numbers for the time I've
spent with Microsoft Tech Support, email me privately and I'll gladly
pass them to you.

With due respect, if you can't post an appropriate response, and simply
want to embarrass those who are trying to help others here, perhaps you
should avoid offering your opinions.

Rob


--
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?
No one here works for or represents MS, including MVPs.

Since you neglected to quote any previous replies in your posts to this
thread, no one has any idea what you're talking about.

A little research shows that this "dead thread" dates from 02 April, the OP
(who never returned to the thread) made no reference to having a Norton
application installed, and was running Vista SP1, not WinXP SP3.

Have a wonderful day!


Rob wrote:
> PA BeAR -- are you actually an employee of Microsoft or, if not, what
> does "MS MVP" really mean?
>
> I am not posting a "new issue", merely responding to the person who has
> had a problem similar to mine. And -- if you use your own IE8 browser to
> look around a little -- you'll find that there are a lot of us with the
> same problem. If you want incident and session numbers for the time I've
> spent with Microsoft Tech Support, email me privately and I'll gladly
> pass them to you.
>
> With due respect, if you can't post an appropriate response, and simply
> want to embarrass those who are trying to help others here, perhaps you
> should avoid offering your opinions.
>
> Rob


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2009
Rob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?

JCE -- I believe my own problem (right click contect menus in Windows
Explorer result in error message and closing of Windows Explorer, as
well as in Power Desk) is solved and here were the steps:

Installed Norton AntiVirus 2009.
Installed Internet Explorer 8 as a Critical Update from Windows Update
9 hours with MS Tech Support.
Uninstalled NAV 2009 -- problem with right-click menus disappeared.
Re-installed NAV 2009 -- things worked for a week, then right-click
problems appeared again.
2-3 hours with Symantec Tech Support
Uninstalled Avanquest Power Desk Pro Version 7 -- problems with
right-click menus disappeared.
Found a description of the problem and a patch at the Avanquest web
site for Power Desk Pro.
Downloaded and applied the patch -- problems with right-click menus
disappeared.
It is a week later and all three of my XP PRO systems are working fine
-- using Power Desk Pro 7, Nortona Anti Virus 2009, and Internet
Explorer 8!

Hope this is helpful ...

Rob


--
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2009
undisclosed
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 Right Click Drop Down Menu ?

Disabling add-ons didn't help for me. I searched a number of forums and
could only in one spot find a solution that actually worked for me. I
tried scans, disabling specific all-ons, disabling all add-ons, and I
found in two places a solution involving a registry-edit but the folder
path resulted in a dead-end on my computer.

The only thing that worked for me was
Go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet
Explorer\Restrictions
If there is a Key called NoBrowserContextMenu, double click it and
change the value to 0.
No computer restart is required. You might need to restart IE, but
that's about it. Hopefully this helps others searching frantically for a
solution to this problem.


--
MikeOShay
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE8: Drop down address menu vic microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 09-06-2008 16:18
IE 7 right click menu stopped working & new tab's tool menu is mis DZ microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 4 07-13-2008 19:21
Menu to sub-menu drop down should stay open? toronto_gal Windows Vista General 1 05-13-2008 21:00
How do I change double click from SEARCH to OPEN on drop down menu ford67 microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 1 04-29-2008 06:49
when i right-click the drop down menu dosent show til i scroll ove AnGeL.SlayeR microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 01-07-2008 01:11




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:42.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120