RE: Strange IE7 installation problem

rhmccullough

RE: Strange IE7 installation problem
Every click on desktop IE7 icon creates another IE7 shortcut icon on desktop.
Some related facts: (1) I had an IE6 desktop icon before Windows Update
installed IE7. (2) IE7 icons in the start menu & programs menu are both OK -
they actually execute IE7.

"עמית צי*מן" wrote:

> Hi,
> On one machine out of a hundred, after installing IE7 it won't run, when I
> click on the IE icon it simply creates a shortcut on the desktop.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Amit

Don Varnau

Re: Strange IE7 installation problem
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

First try...
With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"rhmccullough" <rhmccullough@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every click on desktop IE7 icon creates another IE7 shortcut icon on

desktop.
> Some related facts: (1) I had an IE6 desktop icon before Windows Update
> installed IE7. (2) IE7 icons in the start menu & programs menu are both

OK -
> they actually execute IE7.

> "עמית צי מן" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > On one machine out of a hundred, after installing IE7 it won't run, when

> > click on the IE icon it simply creates a shortcut on the desktop.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Amit

Robert Aldwinckle

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message news:uIJYqJ3sJHA.5516@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> First try...
> With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re enable browser add-ons, work
> through this article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:

Don,

This might not be enough. In fact I'm not sure if we have ever seen
anybody tell us that it has been?

Did you see Eric Lawrence's surprising answer to my question
about use of RIES as a repair in the latest chat?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...25_ez_ie8.mspx

<quote>
A: RIES is all about restoring IE to default settings. It is not intended to fix or resolve installation failures.
</quote>

Kai supposedly has updated his cmd file--a replacement of IE6sp2's
broken /IEReReg. Looks like it is still needed for both IE7 and IE8.
Who knew? ; )

http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en

<quote>
Version 1.07 (27. 3.2009) of this script fixes the "new tabs page not working" problem
that appears after reinstalling shdocvw.dll.
</quote>

See also this discussion. (Last part of thread here. Previous link taken from previous
message in earlier part of thread.)

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...=US&sloc=en-us

<quote>
I run the last script 1.07 and the new window is fixed, and the find is working as well.
</quote>

BTW I haven't looked at the latest version of his script yet but I imagine that as well as
regsvr32 commands he will have had to have added some reg.exe commands too.

FYI

Robert
---

> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "rhmccullough" <rhmccullough@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Every click on desktop IE7 icon creates another IE7 shortcut icon on

> desktop.
>> Some related facts: (1) I had an IE6 desktop icon before Windows Update
>> installed IE7. (2) IE7 icons in the start menu & programs menu are both

> OK -
>> they actually execute IE7.

>> "???? ?? ??" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > On one machine out of a hundred, after installing IE7 it won't run, when

>> > click on the IE icon it simply creates a shortcut on the desktop.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Amit

Don Varnau

Re: Strange IE7 installation problem
[Comments inline]

> > Hi,
> > Windows XP or Vista?
> >
> > First try...
> > With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> > passwords and you will have to reinstall or re enable browser add-ons,

work
> > through this article:
> > 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:

> Don,
>
> This might not be enough. In fact I'm not sure if we have ever seen
> anybody tell us that it has been?
>
> Did you see Eric Lawrence's surprising answer to my question
> about use of RIES as a repair in the latest chat?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...25_ez_ie8.mspx

> <quote>
> A: RIES is all about restoring IE to default settings. It is not intended

to fix or resolve installation failures.
> </quote>

dv: Yes, I knew that RIES was not a "repair" tool, but was hoping that it
might restore "open" as the default action for Internet Shortcuts.

> Kai supposedly has updated his cmd file--a replacement of IE6sp2's
> broken /IEReReg. Looks like it is still needed for both IE7 and IE8.
> Who knew? ; )
>
> http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en
>
> <quote>
> Version 1.07 (27. 3.2009) of this script fixes the "new tabs page not

working" problem
> that appears after reinstalling shdocvw.dll.
> </quote>

dv: Thanks for the information. It does appear that IERereg should be tried,
in many cases, before an uninstall/reinstall of IE7 or IE8.

> See also this discussion. (Last part of thread here. Previous link taken

from previous
> message in earlier part of thread.)

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...nternetexplore
r.beta&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us