can't confirm javav6 v13 is working

nxn1@netzero.com

can't confirm javav6 v13 is working
I just took java-6 update 13 and the java page said it is installed.
When I clicked on the Test JVM, all I get is a red x on the top left
of a blank white pane. No dancing Duke.

followed the instruction they gave if no Duke was seen and still
nothing.

Java 6 v 13 is in add remove programs.

Gary
Donald Anadell

Re: can't confirm javav6 v13 is working

<nxn1@netzero.com> wrote in message
>I just took java-6 update 13 and the java page said it is installed.
> When I clicked on the Test JVM, all I get is a red x on the top left
> of a blank white pane. No dancing Duke.
>
> followed the instruction they gave if no Duke was seen and still
> nothing.
>
> Java 6 v 13 is in add remove programs.

Uninstall it from ADD||Remove programs

Go to the following Sun Java site and download the Manual install package
for "JRE 6 Update 13" and save it to your Desktop:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Then run the setup file "jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe" from your Desktop to
install it.

Now test the Dancing Duke

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Gary

bacchus41

RE: can't confirm javav6 v13 is working
Same problem. Did all that was suggested here but when I tried to load using
JAVA control panel to add default to the browser, I got an error message that
a later version of JAVA was already in the browser and it wouldn't let me
change it. I checked all the permissions I could find but it still won't let
me change settings and still no dancing duke. Suggestions?

"bacchus41" <bacchus41@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Same problem. Did all that was suggested here but when I tried to load
> using
> JAVA control panel to add default to the browser, I got an error message
> that
> a later version of JAVA was already in the browser and it wouldn't let me
> change it. I checked all the permissions I could find but it still won't
> let
> me change settings and still no dancing duke. Suggestions?

It's always best to start your own thread with regards to your problems, it
helps to avoid confusion.

Are you using Windows Vista?

See:
http://java.com/en/download/help/6000061000.xml
<Quote>The "Default Java for browser" checkboxes do not work for a standard
user. To workaround the issue, you will need to run the Java Control Panel
as an administrator.</Quote>

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "nxn1@netzero.com" wrote:
>
>> I just took java-6 update 13 and the java page said it is installed.
>> When I clicked on the Test JVM, all I get is a red x on the top left
>> of a blank white pane. No dancing Duke.
>>
>> followed the instruction they gave if no Duke was seen and still
>> nothing.
>>
>> Java 6 v 13 is in add remove programs.
>>
>> Gary

bacchus41

Re: can't confirm javav6 v13 is working
Sorry. I'm using XP Pro with IE7. I am classified as an administrator but no
go. I must be missing something.

> Sorry. I'm using XP Pro with IE7. I am classified as an administrator but
> no
> go. I must be missing something.

Don't know what you'd be missing, but you might try the following procedure.

1. Download the following two files and save them to your Desktop.

a. Download the JavaRa Utility from here:
http://raproducts.org/

b. Download the JRE 6 Update 13 setup file "jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe"
from here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

2. Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable any||all realtime
security application(s) running on your machine.

3. Use Add||Remove Programs applet to remove all instances of Sun Java found
in the list of programs.

4. Run the JavaRa utility from your desktop.
Click the button entitled:
"Remove Older Version"

5. Run the installer file for Sun Java from your Desktop and allow it to
install the Sun JRE.

6. Turn you security application(s) back on.

7. Conntect to the Internet and test your installation.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "bacchus41" <bacchus41@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Same problem. Did all that was suggested here but when I tried to load
>> > using
>> > JAVA control panel to add default to the browser, I got an error
>> > message
>> > that
>> > a later version of JAVA was already in the browser and it wouldn't let
>> > me
>> > change it. I checked all the permissions I could find but it still
>> > won't
>> > let
>> > me change settings and still no dancing duke. Suggestions?

>> It's always best to start your own thread with regards to your problems,
>> it
>> helps to avoid confusion.
>>
>> Are you using Windows Vista?
>>
>> See:
>> http://java.com/en/download/help/6000061000.xml
>> <Quote>The "Default Java for browser" checkboxes do not work for a
>> standard
>> user. To workaround the issue, you will need to run the Java Control
>> Panel
>> as an administrator.</Quote>
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell

bacchus41

Re: can't confirm javav6 v13 is working
Thanks for the help. The problem of not being able to check the IE box in the
JAVA control panel is fixed. However, the Duke is still missing even though
everything appears to be working as required. Any idea of where else to look?

> Thanks for the help. The problem of not being able to check the IE box in
> the
> JAVA control panel is fixed. However, the Duke is still missing even
> though
> everything appears to be working as required.

> Any idea of where else to look?

Tools||Internet Options||Security(tab)||Internet(zone)||Custom
Level...||Scripting
Make sure "Scripting of Java applets" is enabled.

Then test:
http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "bacchus41" <bacchus41@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Sorry. I'm using XP Pro with IE7. I am classified as an administrator
>> > but
>> > no
>> > go. I must be missing something.

>> Don't know what you'd be missing, but you might try the following
>> procedure.
>>
>> 1. Download the following two files and save them to your Desktop.
>>
>> a. Download the JavaRa Utility from here:
>> http://raproducts.org/
>>
>> b. Download the JRE 6 Update 13 setup file "jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe"
>> from here:
>> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
>>
>> 2. Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable any||all realtime
>> security application(s) running on your machine.
>>
>> 3. Use Add||Remove Programs applet to remove all instances of Sun Java
>> found
>> in the list of programs.
>>
>> 4. Run the JavaRa utility from your desktop.
>> Click the button entitled:
>> "Remove Older Version"
>>
>> 5. Run the installer file for Sun Java from your Desktop and allow it to
>> install the Sun JRE.
>>
>> 6. Turn you security application(s) back on.
>>
>> 7. Conntect to the Internet and test your installation.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell

bacchus41

Re: can't confirm javav6 v13 is working
I have followed all the instructions on the JAVA site to fix the problem and
checked all the boxes everywhere indicated but the Duke is still MIA.

>I have followed all the instructions on the JAVA site to fix the problem
>and
> checked all the boxes everywhere indicated but the Duke is still MIA.

Running out of ideas here. You might check for settings in any third party
Firewall, antivirus, or ad-blocking software installed on your machine to
see if there is a setting that is set to block java applets.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell