Error message when using IE&

MarilynG

Error message when using IE&
My system is XP service pack 3. Lately (last couple of weeks) when I am on
IE7, I get the message IE encountered an error, will close or something to
that effect. Then it shuts down IE.
I even get that when I close out of my browser. There doesn't seem to be a
rhyme or reason, no particular websites cause it.
What would cause that?
Marilyn
Leonard Grey

Re: Error message when using IE&
Problems can result when add-ons you have installed are damaged or
conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

MarilynG wrote:
> My system is XP service pack 3. Lately (last couple of weeks) when I am on
> IE7, I get the message IE encountered an error, will close or something to
> that effect. Then it shuts down IE.
> I even get that when I close out of my browser. There doesn't seem to be a
> rhyme or reason, no particular websites cause it.
> What would cause that?
> Marilyn

Steve Hebert

Re: Error message when using IE&
Probably one of the add-ons. Try running in no add-ons mode to test....
Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no
add-ons).
If it works normally that way, you'll need to disable them one by one until
you find the one causing the conflict.

Steve

"MarilynG" <MarilynG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My system is XP service pack 3. Lately (last couple of weeks) when I am
> on
> IE7, I get the message IE encountered an error, will close or something to
> that effect. Then it shuts down IE.
> I even get that when I close out of my browser. There doesn't seem to be a
> rhyme or reason, no particular websites cause it.
> What would cause that?
> Marilyn

MarilynG

Re: Error message when using IE&
Thank you.
How do I disable the addons?

"Steve Hebert" wrote:

> Probably one of the add-ons. Try running in no add-ons mode to test....
> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no
> add-ons).
> If it works normally that way, you'll need to disable them one by one until
> you find the one causing the conflict.
>
> Steve
>

> "MarilynG" <MarilynG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My system is XP service pack 3. Lately (last couple of weeks) when I am
> > on
> > IE7, I get the message IE encountered an error, will close or something to
> > that effect. Then it shuts down IE.
> > I even get that when I close out of my browser. There doesn't seem to be a
> > rhyme or reason, no particular websites cause it.
> > What would cause that?
> > Marilyn

Nomad8668

Re: Error message when using IE&
Start IE in normal mode, click the Tools menu and look for an item with
"Add-on" in the name. I'm running IE8 now, where it's "Manage Add-ons". Might
be worded a little differently in 7. You get an "applet", a small pop-up
screen, with a list of the add-ons. When you click one of the add-ons in the
list, you will get the option, just below the list-box I beleive, to
"disable". After you disable one it will be listed in a separate list-box,
where you will be able to enable it again, if you want. If you don't have any
guesses about which one is the culprit, then disable the first one in the
list, then "ok" your way back to the main screen, then shut IE down. Start it
again, that one add-on will be disabled. Use it for awhile. If it works the
way it should, that's the culprit. If it still acts up, go back to the
add-ons applet, "enable" the one that was disabled, then "disable the next
one. Shut-down IE7 down. Start it again. Repeat until you find the one
special add-on that, when disabled, allows your browser to run the way it
should.

Good luck,Hope it's the first one ,
Nomad

"MarilynG" wrote:

> Thank you.
> How do I disable the addons?
>
> "Steve Hebert" wrote:
>
> > Probably one of the add-ons. Try running in no add-ons mode to test....
> > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no
> > add-ons).
> > If it works normally that way, you'll need to disable them one by one until
> > you find the one causing the conflict.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> > "MarilynG" <MarilynG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My system is XP service pack 3. Lately (last couple of weeks) when I am
> > > on
> > > IE7, I get the message IE encountered an error, will close or something to
> > > that effect. Then it shuts down IE.
> > > I even get that when I close out of my browser. There doesn't seem to be a
> > > rhyme or reason, no particular websites cause it.
> > > What would cause that?
> > > Marilyn

Steve Hebert