IE7 opens and closes immediately

Patrick

IE7 opens and closes immediately
Hello
I have an odd problem with IE7 here @ work.
When i try to open it IE7 appears for some seconds and dissapears/closes
immediately. The addressbar isn't shown correctly either.
I did search on support.microsoft.com and on google, but none of the
solutions provided there helped.
I did manage to get an error message (after killing some services and
processes IE7 didn't close itself directly) telling me that msvcrt.dll
produced a problem an IE7 has to be shutdown.
What I did try until now:
- starting IE without Addons
- disinfecting PC with Escan/spybot Counterspy MS MRT etc
- Winsock is ok
- uninstall Adobe Acrobat 8(google mentionned this somewhere...)
- resetting of the Internet Explorer Parameters don't work(nothing happens
when clicking on the icon in the Control Panel or on properties in the IE
Context menu)
- uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling without Updates
- Disabling Eset NOD32
- manually uninstalling any toolbar i could find...but the customer has an
P2P Max toolbar which can't be uninstalled correctly....
IE6 is working perfectly, but i don't wanna solve the problem that way; i
allways like to know what's going on in a PC
Options i have left:
- try to manually delete the P2P toolbar(Hijackthis/Spybot.....)
- copy back old registry hives under BartPE(don't appreciate this solutioun;
i allways like to know what's happening)
- eventually uninstall Java/Flash etc...
- install IE8 (no way )
- install Firefox lol

Does someone ever had this odd problem?Any help would be appreciated
Patrick

Patrick

Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
I just finished try completely disabling and deleting the P2P Max toolbar
and it still don't work. tommorow i will try to disable/uninstall Java/Flash
etc, but i really would appreciate any other suggestions...
"Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello
> I have an odd problem with IE7 here @ work.
> When i try to open it IE7 appears for some seconds and dissapears/closes
> immediately. The addressbar isn't shown correctly either.
> I did search on support.microsoft.com and on google, but none of the
> solutions provided there helped.
> I did manage to get an error message (after killing some services and
> processes IE7 didn't close itself directly) telling me that msvcrt.dll
> produced a problem an IE7 has to be shutdown.
> What I did try until now:
> - starting IE without Addons
> - disinfecting PC with Escan/spybot Counterspy MS MRT etc
> - Winsock is ok
> - uninstall Adobe Acrobat 8(google mentionned this somewhere...)
> - resetting of the Internet Explorer Parameters don't work(nothing happens
> when clicking on the icon in the Control Panel or on properties in the IE
> Context menu)
> - uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling without Updates
> - Disabling Eset NOD32
> - manually uninstalling any toolbar i could find...but the customer has an
> P2P Max toolbar which can't be uninstalled correctly....
> IE6 is working perfectly, but i don't wanna solve the problem that way; i
> allways like to know what's going on in a PC
> Options i have left:
> - try to manually delete the P2P toolbar(Hijackthis/Spybot.....)
> - copy back old registry hives under BartPE(don't appreciate this
> solutioun; i allways like to know what's happening)
> - eventually uninstall Java/Flash etc...
> - install IE8 (no way )
> - install Firefox lol
>
> Does someone ever had this odd problem?Any help would be appreciated
> Patrick

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
Hi,
Try re-registering IEProxy.dll
See: 928427- Internet Explorer 7 exits immediately when you start it in
Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928427

The horked Address Bar and inability to reset IE settings suggests a
corrupted installation. When installing IE7, third-party firewall,
antivirus, antispyware and other security programs should be disabled. Were
they?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just finished try completely disabling and deleting the P2P Max toolbar
> and it still don't work. tommorow i will try to disable/uninstall

Java/Flash
> etc, but i really would appreciate any other suggestions...
> "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hello
> > I have an odd problem with IE7 here @ work.
> > When i try to open it IE7 appears for some seconds and dissapears/closes
> > immediately. The addressbar isn't shown correctly either.
> > I did search on support.microsoft.com and on google, but none of the
> > solutions provided there helped.
> > I did manage to get an error message (after killing some services and
> > processes IE7 didn't close itself directly) telling me that msvcrt.dll
> > produced a problem an IE7 has to be shutdown.
> > What I did try until now:
> > - starting IE without Addons
> > - disinfecting PC with Escan/spybot Counterspy MS MRT etc
> > - Winsock is ok
> > - uninstall Adobe Acrobat 8(google mentionned this somewhere...)
> > - resetting of the Internet Explorer Parameters don't work(nothing

happens
> > when clicking on the icon in the Control Panel or on properties in the

IE
> > Context menu)
> > - uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling without Updates
> > - Disabling Eset NOD32
> > - manually uninstalling any toolbar i could find...but the customer has

an
> > P2P Max toolbar which can't be uninstalled correctly....
> > IE6 is working perfectly, but i don't wanna solve the problem that way;

> > allways like to know what's going on in a PC
> > Options i have left:
> > - try to manually delete the P2P toolbar(Hijackthis/Spybot.....)
> > - copy back old registry hives under BartPE(don't appreciate this
> > solutioun; i allways like to know what's happening)
> > - eventually uninstall Java/Flash etc...
> > - install IE8 (no way )
> > - install Firefox lol
> >
> > Does someone ever had this odd problem?Any help would be appreciated
> > Patrick

Albrando

Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
Check what windows services you have disabled, it could be one of them.
Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Try re-registering IEProxy.dll
> See: 928427- Internet Explorer 7 exits immediately when you start it in
> Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928427
>
> The horked Address Bar and inability to reset IE settings suggests a
> corrupted installation. When installing IE7, third-party firewall,
> antivirus, antispyware and other security programs should be disabled. Were
> they?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I just finished try completely disabling and deleting the P2P Max toolbar
> > and it still don't work. tommorow i will try to disable/uninstall

> Java/Flash
> > etc, but i really would appreciate any other suggestions...
> > "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Hello
> > > I have an odd problem with IE7 here @ work.
> > > When i try to open it IE7 appears for some seconds and dissapears/closes
> > > immediately. The addressbar isn't shown correctly either.
> > > I did search on support.microsoft.com and on google, but none of the
> > > solutions provided there helped.
> > > I did manage to get an error message (after killing some services and
> > > processes IE7 didn't close itself directly) telling me that msvcrt.dll
> > > produced a problem an IE7 has to be shutdown.
> > > What I did try until now:
> > > - starting IE without Addons
> > > - disinfecting PC with Escan/spybot Counterspy MS MRT etc
> > > - Winsock is ok
> > > - uninstall Adobe Acrobat 8(google mentionned this somewhere...)
> > > - resetting of the Internet Explorer Parameters don't work(nothing

> happens
> > > when clicking on the icon in the Control Panel or on properties in the

> IE
> > > Context menu)
> > > - uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling without Updates
> > > - Disabling Eset NOD32
> > > - manually uninstalling any toolbar i could find...but the customer has

> an
> > > P2P Max toolbar which can't be uninstalled correctly....
> > > IE6 is working perfectly, but i don't wanna solve the problem that way;

> > > allways like to know what's going on in a PC
> > > Options i have left:
> > > - try to manually delete the P2P toolbar(Hijackthis/Spybot.....)
> > > - copy back old registry hives under BartPE(don't appreciate this
> > > solutioun; i allways like to know what's happening)
> > > - eventually uninstall Java/Flash etc...
> > > - install IE8 (no way )
> > > - install Firefox lol
> > >
> > > Does someone ever had this odd problem?Any help would be appreciated
> > > Patrick

Patrick

Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
unregistering and reregistering the ieproxy.dll didn't solve the problem.
The AV and AS products were all disabled during installation.
Do you have any other Tips?

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Try re-registering IEProxy.dll
> See: 928427- Internet Explorer 7 exits immediately when you start it in
> Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928427
>
> The horked Address Bar and inability to reset IE settings suggests a
> corrupted installation. When installing IE7, third-party firewall,
> antivirus, antispyware and other security programs should be disabled. Were
> they?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I just finished try completely disabling and deleting the P2P Max toolbar
> > and it still don't work. tommorow i will try to disable/uninstall

> Java/Flash
> > etc, but i really would appreciate any other suggestions...
> > "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Hello
> > > I have an odd problem with IE7 here @ work.
> > > When i try to open it IE7 appears for some seconds and dissapears/closes
> > > immediately. The addressbar isn't shown correctly either.
> > > I did search on support.microsoft.com and on google, but none of the
> > > solutions provided there helped.
> > > I did manage to get an error message (after killing some services and
> > > processes IE7 didn't close itself directly) telling me that msvcrt.dll
> > > produced a problem an IE7 has to be shutdown.
> > > What I did try until now:
> > > - starting IE without Addons
> > > - disinfecting PC with Escan/spybot Counterspy MS MRT etc
> > > - Winsock is ok
> > > - uninstall Adobe Acrobat 8(google mentionned this somewhere...)
> > > - resetting of the Internet Explorer Parameters don't work(nothing

> happens
> > > when clicking on the icon in the Control Panel or on properties in the

> IE
> > > Context menu)
> > > - uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling without Updates
> > > - Disabling Eset NOD32
> > > - manually uninstalling any toolbar i could find...but the customer has

> an
> > > P2P Max toolbar which can't be uninstalled correctly....
> > > IE6 is working perfectly, but i don't wanna solve the problem that way;

> > > allways like to know what's going on in a PC
> > > Options i have left:
> > > - try to manually delete the P2P toolbar(Hijackthis/Spybot.....)
> > > - copy back old registry hives under BartPE(don't appreciate this
> > > solutioun; i allways like to know what's happening)
> > > - eventually uninstall Java/Flash etc...
> > > - install IE8 (no way )
> > > - install Firefox lol
> > >
> > > Does someone ever had this odd problem?Any help would be appreciated
> > > Patrick

Patrick

Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
Interestingly IE7 do not close when there is no network connection. but the
Addressbar still isn't show correctly...

"Patrick" wrote:

> unregistering and reregistering the ieproxy.dll didn't solve the problem.
> The AV and AS products were all disabled during installation.
> Do you have any other Tips?
>

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Try re-registering IEProxy.dll
> > See: 928427- Internet Explorer 7 exits immediately when you start it in
> > Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928427
> >
> > The horked Address Bar and inability to reset IE settings suggests a
> > corrupted installation. When installing IE7, third-party firewall,
> > antivirus, antispyware and other security programs should be disabled. Were
> > they?
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]
> >
> > "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I just finished try completely disabling and deleting the P2P Max toolbar
> > > and it still don't work. tommorow i will try to disable/uninstall

> > Java/Flash
> > > etc, but i really would appreciate any other suggestions...
> > > "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > happens

> > IE

> > an

Patrick

Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
The customer just told me that the problem occured after trying IE8...
System restore didn't solve the problem. So I just went back to IE6
andadditionnally installed Firefox... So the Problem's "solved" but i still
want to know what happened there.... Perhaps a repair install could solve the
problem...

"Patrick" wrote:

> Interestingly IE7 do not close when there is no network connection. but the
> Addressbar still isn't show correctly...
>
> "Patrick" wrote:
>
> > unregistering and reregistering the ieproxy.dll didn't solve the problem.
> > The AV and AS products were all disabled during installation.
> > Do you have any other Tips?
> >

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Try re-registering IEProxy.dll
> > > See: 928427- Internet Explorer 7 exits immediately when you start it in
> > > Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928427
> > >
> > > The horked Address Bar and inability to reset IE settings suggests a
> > > corrupted installation. When installing IE7, third-party firewall,
> > > antivirus, antispyware and other security programs should be disabled. Were
> > > they?
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Don
> > > [MS MVP- IE]
> > >
> > > "Patrick" <voodoo2567@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Java/Flash
> > > happens
> > > IE
> > > an

Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

About IE7 (and higher) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

About IE7 (and higher) and Windows XP Service Pack 3

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E

Patrick wrote:
> The customer just told me that the problem occured after trying IE8...
> System restore didn't solve the problem. So I just went back to IE6
> andadditionnally installed Firefox... So the Problem's "solved" but i
> still
> want to know what happened there.... Perhaps a repair install could solve
> the problem...
>
> "Patrick" wrote:
>
>> Interestingly IE7 do not close when there is no network connection. but
>> the
>> Addressbar still isn't show correctly...
>>
>> "Patrick" wrote:
>>
>>> unregistering and reregistering the ieproxy.dll didn't solve the
>>> problem.
>>> The AV and AS products were all disabled during installation.
>>> Do you have any other Tips?

austin215 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE7 opens and closes immediately
I am really sorry someone else is having this problem, but I am glad I am not alone!!! This started the beggining of this week. A co-worker at work installed IE8. Turns out this is incompatible with the system we use at work and our version of symantec.

I have tried restore. Uninstalling IE8, and reinstalling IE7. IE7 closes immediately after opening. When I reinstall IE8 it works, but it slows the computer to a crawl and the main program we require at work stops working. Obviously thats no good.

I've uninstalled IE8, and installed firefox. But there are still some websites we have to acess daily that don't work in firefox (crazy huh?

I have also tired fixing the .dll, all the fixes on the microsoft website. Installing/reinstalling in different orders

Next on the list is going all the way back to IE6 or earlier, if I can find a version.....Or Uninstalling SP3, reinstalling IE7, and reinstalling SP3.

Since it worked for you I guess I will only have to revert back to IE6. But this problem really doesn't make sense...

Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post
Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
Known issues - Internet Explorer 7
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
Internet Explorer 7: Get It Now as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

About IE7 (and higher) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

About IE7 (and higher) and Windows XP Service Pack 3
IEBlog : IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

What's New in Internet Explorer 7
What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
Release Notes for Internet Explorer 7