Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE7 corrupted after system restore

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2009
tincan866
 

Posts: n/a
IE7 corrupted after system restore
After installing IE8, I began to notice problems so I did a system restore to
a time before the install, reverting back to IE7. After this was done, I
noticed numerous problems with IE7. The ones I've found so far are as
follows:

No Toolbar under the URL link box
No Download box so no way to download anything
No Internet Options file (Inetcpl.cpl)
No Titles on open webpage tabs at the bottom
No Right-click in webpages
No Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) mode
Delete button not working

Surprisingly, I can still access webpages and Outlook 6 is still working
fine. Since IE7 is my only web browser and I don't have the program saved to
my hard drive, to my knowledge, I can't completely uninstall IE7 as that
would leave me with no way to do a reinstall.

I'm using Windows XP SP3. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
I'm going to ask a friend to download a clean copy of IE7 to a CD for me so I
can uninstall my bad copy and reinstall from the CD. I can't think of
anything else to try.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2009
Leonard Grey
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 corrupted after system restore
System Restore is not the correct way to uninstall IE 8 If you still
can, reverse the restore and uninstall IE 8 (which restores your
previous version of Internet Explorer.)

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

tincan866 wrote:
> After installing IE8, I began to notice problems so I did a system restore to
> a time before the install, reverting back to IE7. After this was done, I
> noticed numerous problems with IE7. The ones I've found so far are as
> follows:
>
> No Toolbar under the URL link box
> No Download box so no way to download anything
> No Internet Options file (Inetcpl.cpl)
> No Titles on open webpage tabs at the bottom
> No Right-click in webpages
> No Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) mode
> Delete button not working
>
> Surprisingly, I can still access webpages and Outlook 6 is still working
> fine. Since IE7 is my only web browser and I don't have the program saved to
> my hard drive, to my knowledge, I can't completely uninstall IE7 as that
> would leave me with no way to do a reinstall.
>
> I'm using Windows XP SP3. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
> I'm going to ask a friend to download a clean copy of IE7 to a CD for me so I
> can uninstall my bad copy and reinstall from the CD. I can't think of
> anything else to try.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2009
tincan866
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 corrupted after system restore
Thanks for the suggestion to reverse my System Restore Leonard. I had high
hopes that it would solve all my problems but unfortunately my computer was
unable to do the reverse. In the future I'll know to simply uninstall
Internet Explorer in order to revert back to my previous version instead of
doing a system restore. Thanks again for your suggestion.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> System Restore is not the correct way to uninstall IE 8 If you still
> can, reverse the restore and uninstall IE 8 (which restores your
> previous version of Internet Explorer.)
>
> "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> tincan866 wrote:
> > After installing IE8, I began to notice problems so I did a system restore to
> > a time before the install, reverting back to IE7. After this was done, I
> > noticed numerous problems with IE7. The ones I've found so far are as
> > follows:
> >
> > No Toolbar under the URL link box
> > No Download box so no way to download anything
> > No Internet Options file (Inetcpl.cpl)
> > No Titles on open webpage tabs at the bottom
> > No Right-click in webpages
> > No Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) mode
> > Delete button not working
> >
> > Surprisingly, I can still access webpages and Outlook 6 is still working
> > fine. Since IE7 is my only web browser and I don't have the program saved to
> > my hard drive, to my knowledge, I can't completely uninstall IE7 as that
> > would leave me with no way to do a reinstall.
> >
> > I'm using Windows XP SP3. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
> > I'm going to ask a friend to download a clean copy of IE7 to a CD for me so I
> > can uninstall my bad copy and reinstall from the CD. I can't think of
> > anything else to try.

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2009
tincan866
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 corrupted after system restore
Well, I was able to get a clean copy of IE7 on a CD at a friend's house.
While I was there I went ahead and made a CD with IE8 on it just in case.
When I returned home I thought I'd first uninstall the corrupted IE7 and then
reinstall it from the CD but IE7 wasn't listed as an application in the
Add/Remove Programs or in the Revo-Uninstaller list of Applications so went
ahead and installed the clean copy from the CD. The install went fine but
when I checked to see if things were back to normal, I discovered that things
were exactly the same as before the clean install. So, I decided all I had
left to try was the IE8 install CD. After the install completed, I
discovered that all problems were corrected. Although I'm leery of using
IE8, I'm afraid to try to uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs to see if it
reverts back to a good copy of IE7.


"tincan866" wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion to reverse my System Restore Leonard. I had high
> hopes that it would solve all my problems but unfortunately my computer was
> unable to do the reverse. In the future I'll know to simply uninstall
> Internet Explorer in order to revert back to my previous version instead of
> doing a system restore. Thanks again for your suggestion.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
> > System Restore is not the correct way to uninstall IE 8 If you still
> > can, reverse the restore and uninstall IE 8 (which restores your
> > previous version of Internet Explorer.)
> >
> > "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> > ---
> > Leonard Grey
> > Errare humanum est
> >
> > tincan866 wrote:
> > > After installing IE8, I began to notice problems so I did a system restore to
> > > a time before the install, reverting back to IE7. After this was done, I
> > > noticed numerous problems with IE7. The ones I've found so far are as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > No Toolbar under the URL link box
> > > No Download box so no way to download anything
> > > No Internet Options file (Inetcpl.cpl)
> > > No Titles on open webpage tabs at the bottom
> > > No Right-click in webpages
> > > No Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) mode
> > > Delete button not working
> > >
> > > Surprisingly, I can still access webpages and Outlook 6 is still working
> > > fine. Since IE7 is my only web browser and I don't have the program saved to
> > > my hard drive, to my knowledge, I can't completely uninstall IE7 as that
> > > would leave me with no way to do a reinstall.
> > >
> > > I'm using Windows XP SP3. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
> > > I'm going to ask a friend to download a clean copy of IE7 to a CD for me so I
> > > can uninstall my bad copy and reinstall from the CD. I can't think of
> > > anything else to try.

> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corrupted System Volume piper Hardware Problems 1 03-16-2009 10:26
Corrupted video system Albert microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 05-11-2008 09:03
System Restore: do restore points persist after a restore? Qu0ll microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 04-12-2008 14:36
How to Restore/Rescue corrupted program? violet microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 01-01-2008 20:45
system restore not creating system restore everyday =?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-23-2007 01:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:12.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120