My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Dannymil

My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
I hope I'm in the right place because I am desperate and far from
knowledgable regarding computers. We are using Windows XP98 and until
recently, Internet Explorer (IE) was our browser. I received a notification
from MS to upgrade to IE8 (better speed, security) so I thought what the heck
and downloaded it. After that, our old system (the computer is an Emachine
probably 7 years old) didn't work the same and I didn't like it. So, I went
to add/remove but all that was there was IE7 (what we already had) and I
didn't want to remove it, so (stupidly) I did a one day restore and perhaps
it got rid of the IE* but we haven't been able to use IE7 either, ever since.
When I try to open it from start, it acts like it wants to open but it's a
blank page with a vague address bar and nothing else (no tool bars, tabs,
nothing) and it stays up about a second and clicks off. Everything in my
control panel works fine except "Internet Options" and when I click on it, it
also clicks right off and won't open. Also, our internet security (Trend
Micro-cillin) works fine all except for updates and when I click on it, it
acts like it is going to run but then also clicks off.

I am very bad on technical terms and really need clear step by step
instructions but I do know I really messed up and need your help. I tried
reinstalling IE7 (from a download I found on the net) but no change. I've
made sure it (IE) was the default browser and through information from the
net I tried typing command promps "regedit" and also "netsh winsock reset"
but nothing has worked and I'm just afraid of making the situation worse. I
was able to get on line with an old version of Netscape6 and have since
downloaded "Mozilla/Firefox) so I have a browser and can obviously get on the
net but I prefer Internet Explorer and also have to be able to update our
anti virus program but for some reason, am unable to with the system as it is.

Please Help & thank you so much.

Danny
FrankV

Re: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Try running Microsoft Update by entering this: http://update.microsoft.com/
at the address bar. If you had just uninstalled IE8 it automatically went
back to IE7.

Frank

"Dannymil" <Dannymil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope I'm in the right place because I am desperate and far from
> knowledgable regarding computers. We are using Windows XP98 and until
> recently, Internet Explorer (IE) was our browser. I received a
> notification
> from MS to upgrade to IE8 (better speed, security) so I thought what the
> heck
> and downloaded it. After that, our old system (the computer is an
> Emachine
> probably 7 years old) didn't work the same and I didn't like it. So, I
> went
> to add/remove but all that was there was IE7 (what we already had) and I
> didn't want to remove it, so (stupidly) I did a one day restore and
> perhaps
> it got rid of the IE* but we haven't been able to use IE7 either, ever
> since.
> When I try to open it from start, it acts like it wants to open but it's a
> blank page with a vague address bar and nothing else (no tool bars, tabs,
> nothing) and it stays up about a second and clicks off. Everything in my
> control panel works fine except "Internet Options" and when I click on it,
> it
> also clicks right off and won't open. Also, our internet security (Trend
> Micro-cillin) works fine all except for updates and when I click on it, it
> acts like it is going to run but then also clicks off.
>
> I am very bad on technical terms and really need clear step by step
> instructions but I do know I really messed up and need your help. I tried
> reinstalling IE7 (from a download I found on the net) but no change. I've
> made sure it (IE) was the default browser and through information from the
> net I tried typing command promps "regedit" and also "netsh winsock reset"
> but nothing has worked and I'm just afraid of making the situation worse.
> was able to get on line with an old version of Netscape6 and have since
> downloaded "Mozilla/Firefox) so I have a browser and can obviously get on
> the
> net but I prefer Internet Explorer and also have to be able to update our
> anti virus program but for some reason, am unable to with the system as it
> is.
>
> Please Help & thank you so much.
>
> Danny

Gussy

RE: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
I am having the same problem. I've tried to contact support but can't afford
their sign up fee. I'm using xp2000. I'm about ready to pull my hair out.
I can't get on line with that computer no matter what I try. I'm using a
different computer now, but have to return it soon. Let me know if you find
a solution.

"Dannymil" wrote:

> I hope I'm in the right place because I am desperate and far from
> knowledgable regarding computers. We are using Windows XP98 and until
> recently, Internet Explorer (IE) was our browser. I received a notification
> from MS to upgrade to IE8 (better speed, security) so I thought what the heck
> and downloaded it. After that, our old system (the computer is an Emachine
> probably 7 years old) didn't work the same and I didn't like it. So, I went
> to add/remove but all that was there was IE7 (what we already had) and I
> didn't want to remove it, so (stupidly) I did a one day restore and perhaps
> it got rid of the IE* but we haven't been able to use IE7 either, ever since.
> When I try to open it from start, it acts like it wants to open but it's a
> blank page with a vague address bar and nothing else (no tool bars, tabs,
> nothing) and it stays up about a second and clicks off. Everything in my
> control panel works fine except "Internet Options" and when I click on it, it
> also clicks right off and won't open. Also, our internet security (Trend
> Micro-cillin) works fine all except for updates and when I click on it, it
> acts like it is going to run but then also clicks off.
>
> I am very bad on technical terms and really need clear step by step
> instructions but I do know I really messed up and need your help. I tried
> reinstalling IE7 (from a download I found on the net) but no change. I've
> made sure it (IE) was the default browser and through information from the
> net I tried typing command promps "regedit" and also "netsh winsock reset"
> but nothing has worked and I'm just afraid of making the situation worse. I
> was able to get on line with an old version of Netscape6 and have since
> downloaded "Mozilla/Firefox) so I have a browser and can obviously get on the
> net but I prefer Internet Explorer and also have to be able to update our
> anti virus program but for some reason, am unable to with the system as it is.
>
> Please Help & thank you so much.
>
> Danny

Gussy

Re: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
FrankV:

If we can't get on line how can we enter that address? This is very
frustrating. I'm thinking I won't ever download any upgrades from microsoft
again.

"FrankV" wrote:

> Try running Microsoft Update by entering this: http://update.microsoft.com/
> at the address bar. If you had just uninstalled IE8 it automatically went
> back to IE7.
>
> Frank
>
> "Dannymil" <Dannymil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hope I'm in the right place because I am desperate and far from
> > knowledgable regarding computers. We are using Windows XP98 and until
> > recently, Internet Explorer (IE) was our browser. I received a
> > notification
> > from MS to upgrade to IE8 (better speed, security) so I thought what the
> > heck
> > and downloaded it. After that, our old system (the computer is an
> > Emachine
> > probably 7 years old) didn't work the same and I didn't like it. So, I
> > went
> > to add/remove but all that was there was IE7 (what we already had) and I
> > didn't want to remove it, so (stupidly) I did a one day restore and
> > perhaps
> > it got rid of the IE* but we haven't been able to use IE7 either, ever
> > since.
> > When I try to open it from start, it acts like it wants to open but it's a
> > blank page with a vague address bar and nothing else (no tool bars, tabs,
> > nothing) and it stays up about a second and clicks off. Everything in my
> > control panel works fine except "Internet Options" and when I click on it,
> > it
> > also clicks right off and won't open. Also, our internet security (Trend
> > Micro-cillin) works fine all except for updates and when I click on it, it
> > acts like it is going to run but then also clicks off.
> >
> > I am very bad on technical terms and really need clear step by step
> > instructions but I do know I really messed up and need your help. I tried
> > reinstalling IE7 (from a download I found on the net) but no change. I've
> > made sure it (IE) was the default browser and through information from the
> > net I tried typing command promps "regedit" and also "netsh winsock reset"
> > but nothing has worked and I'm just afraid of making the situation worse.
> > was able to get on line with an old version of Netscape6 and have since
> > downloaded "Mozilla/Firefox) so I have a browser and can obviously get on
> > the
> > net but I prefer Internet Explorer and also have to be able to update our
> > anti virus program but for some reason, am unable to with the system as it
> > is.
> >
> > Please Help & thank you so much.
> >
> > Danny

KCB

Re: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Click the Start button, click Run, then type in the link he gave you,
click OK. Where's the cross-post so you guys can keep score?

"Gussy" <Gussy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > I tried
>> > reinstalling IE7 (from a download I found on the net) but no
>> > change. I've
>> > made sure it (IE) was the default browser and through information
>> > from the
>> > net I tried typing command promps "regedit" and also "netsh winsock
>> > reset"
>> > but nothing has worked and I'm just afraid of making the situation
>> > worse.
>> > was able to get on line with an old version of Netscape6 and have
>> > since
>> > downloaded "Mozilla/Firefox) so I have a browser and can obviously
>> > get on
>> > the
>> > net but I prefer Internet Explorer and also have to be able to
>> > update our
>> > anti virus program but for some reason, am unable to with the

Gussy

Re: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
I can't get on line with that computer so I can't type anything in! I'm on a
different computer now but it's only here for a day or so.

"KCB" wrote:

> Click the Start button, click Run, then type in the link he gave you,
> click OK. Where's the cross-post so you guys can keep score?
>
> "Gussy" <Gussy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > FrankV:
> >
> > If we can't get on line how can we enter that address? This is very
> > frustrating. I'm thinking I won't ever download any upgrades from
> > microsoft
> > again.
> >
> > "FrankV" wrote:
> >
> >> Try running Microsoft Update by entering this:
> >> http://update.microsoft.com/
> >> at the address bar. If you had just uninstalled IE8 it automatically
> >> went
> >> back to IE7.
> >>
> >> Frank

Gussy

Re: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Tried that and ie closed down immediately. - as usual.

"KCB" wrote:

> Click the Start button, click Run, then type in the link he gave you,
> click OK. Where's the cross-post so you guys can keep score?
>
> "Gussy" <Gussy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > FrankV:
> >
> > If we can't get on line how can we enter that address? This is very
> > frustrating. I'm thinking I won't ever download any upgrades from
> > microsoft
> > again.
> >
> > "FrankV" wrote:
> >
> >> Try running Microsoft Update by entering this:
> >> http://update.microsoft.com/
> >> at the address bar. If you had just uninstalled IE8 it automatically
> >> went
> >> back to IE7.
> >>
> >> Frank

Saucy

>I am having the same problem. I've tried to contact support but can't
>afford
> their sign up fee. I'm using xp2000. I'm about ready to pull my hair
> out.
> I can't get on line with that computer no matter what I try. I'm using a
> different computer now, but have to return it soon. Let me know if you
> find
> a solution.
>
> "Dannymil" wrote:
>
>> I hope I'm in the right place because I am desperate and far from
>> knowledgable regarding computers. We are using Windows XP98 and until
>> recently, Internet Explorer (IE) was our browser. I received a
>> notification
>> from MS to upgrade to IE8 (better speed, security) so I thought what the
>> heck
>> and downloaded it. After that, our old system (the computer is an
>> Emachine
>> probably 7 years old) didn't work the same and I didn't like it. So, I
>> went
>> to add/remove but all that was there was IE7 (what we already had) and I
>> didn't want to remove it, so (stupidly) I did a one day restore and
>> perhaps
>> it got rid of the IE* but we haven't been able to use IE7 either, ever
>> since.
>> When I try to open it from start, it acts like it wants to open but it's
>> blank page with a vague address bar and nothing else (no tool bars, tabs,
>> nothing) and it stays up about a second and clicks off. Everything in my
>> control panel works fine except "Internet Options" and when I click on
>> it, it
>> also clicks right off and won't open. Also, our internet security (Trend
>> Micro-cillin) works fine all except for updates and when I click on it,
>> it
>> acts like it is going to run but then also clicks off.
>>
>> I am very bad on technical terms and really need clear step by step
>> instructions but I do know I really messed up and need your help. I
>> tried
>> reinstalling IE7 (from a download I found on the net) but no change.
>> I've
>> made sure it (IE) was the default browser and through information from
>> the
>> net I tried typing command promps "regedit" and also "netsh winsock
>> reset"
>> but nothing has worked and I'm just afraid of making the situation worse.
>> was able to get on line with an old version of Netscape6 and have since
>> downloaded "Mozilla/Firefox) so I have a browser and can obviously get on
>> the
>> net but I prefer Internet Explorer and also have to be able to update our
>> anti virus program but for some reason, am unable to with the system as
>> it is.
>>
>> Please Help & thank you so much.
>>
>> Danny

What kind of computer is it? What software do you have on it? Have you
suspected malware (i.e. a virus or spyware infection)?

Saucy

Gussy

Re: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
It's a Sony vio laptop with nothing on it. I have a good anti everything on
it. I downloaded ei 8 on both laptops at the same time and had no problem
with the one I'm on now. I looked for ei8 on the one in question and
couldn't find it so I'm thinking it never finished downloading. Whatever,
it's a mess. I did a deep scan with my anti virus/malware and it found
nothing.

"Saucy" wrote:

> [...]
> >> net I tried typing command promps "regedit" and also "netsh winsock
> >> reset"
> >> but nothing has worked and I'm just afraid of making the situation worse.
> >> was able to get on line with an old version of Netscape6 and have since
> >> downloaded "Mozilla/Firefox) so I have a browser and can obviously get on
> >> the
> >> net but I prefer Internet Explorer and also have to be able to update our
> >> anti virus program but for some reason, am unable to with the system as
> >> it is.
> >>
> >> Please Help & thank you so much.
> >>
> >> Danny

> What kind of computer is it? What software do you have on it? Have you
> suspected malware (i.e. a virus or spyware infection)?
>
> Saucy

FrankV

Re: My IE quit working, NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
You said you got on through Firefox.

Frank